Blurbs! (an invitation)

Heroes are great.

Wraiths are better.

The Sea Snake--a tale of fanged horses, terrifying creatures, and annoying little brothers. Enter the adventure!

Another "practice" blurb for a familiar old book:

Was Charles Bingley too nice to be real?
Was Fitzwilliam Darcy too boorish to be endured?
Was Lydia Bennet too stupid to be believed?
And somehow, could love triumph at last over--

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE??

It's HighQueenKaty's turn now

Was there time for beauty? Was there time for love?

As a teenager, Emily already possessed womanly qualities that attracted men from every direction. But even though the men who were interested seemed good and honorable--would she even have a chance to choose among them?

For Emily's world was in turmoil; dark, predatory forces loomed over her family. It began when a maniac wantonly tortured Emily's little sister; and who could foresee how huge the evil presence would grow? This teenage girl, who just wanted a normal life, was called into a mystery, a conflict, in which lives would depend on her.

Would Emily prevail over the darkness? If she prevailed, she would forever become one of....

THE LEGENDS OF TRAPHNIA!!!!

This thread is so much fun. :D I'll have to try and come up with a blurb for someone's story, but so far I haven't been able to think of anything. *sigh*

Would someone assign me a story? Then it might be a little easier. ;)

Here, Miss R, try a classical example, the way I did with "Pride and Prejudice." Take any Shakespeare play, and treat it as if it were a novel.

it could work with plays, too.

Prestenting Andrew Lloyd Webber's greatest masterpiece, a tale of music, dancing, and TS Eliot lyrics. A musical so big and shiny it hurts your eyes. Get ready for an epic tale of triumph and cool dance numbers:

CATS!

How about this for GGray's on-and-off project?

If Tom Sawyer had been born in a larger town, 130 years later.... his name would be PETE!

I just unearthed this old thread to share some book blurbs I wrote for my imaginary future best-selling novel, which will be based on my experiences in church nursery.

...In short, a friend and I were having a discussion about her stressful experiences with sign-out at the camp where she is working this summer, and that made me think of church nursery. I started reminiscing, and eventually said, "One day, I will write a best-selling novel from the perspective of a precocious three-year-old in nursery, and all the critics will be amazed."

Then, I began writing imaginary book blurbs. When I made my previous comments in this thread, I had no idea how to write one, but now that I work at the library and am constantly exposed to them, I know how to compose a grandiloquent blurb for some supposedly stellar novel. xD

Here's what I came up with:

"[Last name] writes with incisive perspective into the beleaguered three-year-old mind, evoking chilling and harrowing images of what church nurseries are truly like."

"This heart-wrenching story runs the full gamut of human emotion. You will never see childhood in the same way again."

"Sometimes aching, sometimes triumphant, this stunning debut novel searches for meaning in the trenches of colorful cardboard blocks, detailing one child's search for how to reconcile her lofty ideals with the pain of reality."

Here, I'll kid myself. Imagine this reviewer's remark on the back cover of some book by me......

Joseph Ravitts' consuming obsession to have his last name pronounced with a long A and not a short A pervades his fiction. I have never seen any author depicting so many characters whose last names get mispronounced, and who go berserk because of it. I urge you to read Mr. Ravitts' latest novel, but I caution you never to mispronounce his last name if you are riding in a car that he is driving.

Back