Contest 20: What would you name the Green Lady?

What would you name the Green Lady in The Silver Chair? (vote for up to 3 names)

• Imladra

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Esmeralda

• Vernalima

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Sirenssa

• Ulamar

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Serpemina

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Viridescent

• Jade

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Viridiana

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • other (post your suggestion to this thread)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
For this contest we will be polling your suggestions for a name for the Lady of the Green Kirtle from Silver Chair.
2q9fdaq.jpg

1. Make up a name for the Lady of the Green Kirtle.
2. Optional: Enter your suggestion in the Narnia Sweepstakes. Note: Grand Prize in this sweepstakes means Your Name will be used in the movie adaptation of The Silver Chair!
3. Share your suggested name for this serpentine lyre-playing tunnel-delving sorceress on this thread by August 31!

The TDL Poll picking the best name will go up September 1, so please revisit this thread then to vote on your favorite entry for this mysterious, manipulative villain! (Sorry the winner of our poll will not affect the movie script at all. But you will have a warm fuzzy just to know your fellow Narniacs here liked your name!)

I saw what I believe was the same contest on Facebook. I entered a name there. I seem to recall that it was a not-too-obvious derivative of the name Esmeralda. Something like Imladra. So consider that my entry here. Imladra.

Ack!! I just realized that, although I really was thinking of "Esmeralda" at the time, "Imladra" is practically the same as the Tolkienian place-name Imladris!

That's the problem with living in a society where fantasy is so popular: there's a traffic jam of made-up names! Better try again.

Try calling her VERNALIMA. Still a hint of the color.

My contest entry: Sirenssa
I named her Sirenssa...
The double "SS" for her serpentine nature, and the "Siren" for her deceptively enchanting nature ensnaring and destroying the underlanders, Prince Rilian and -- almost -- Puddleglum, Jill and Eustace.

Ulamar. Ula means Snake in Javanese and Mar also means snake in Kurdish, so my name is SnakeSnake! :) I'll pick two more.

Great ideas! Keep those names coming...
I wonder what Snake in Turkish would be (since lion in Turkish is Aslan)?

My three names are:

1. Viridescent (I looked it up and it means green or becoming green).

2. Jade

3. Viridiana (in latin it means green, it's also the name of an Italian saint).

I enterered the Narnia contest as well and chose Viridescent as my name for that contest. :)

Last edited:
1. Viridescent (I looked it up and it means green or becoming green).

2. Jade

3. Viridiana (in latin it means green, it's also the name of an Italian saint).

I enterered the Narnia contest as well and chose Viridescent as my name for that contest. :)

Of these, "Viridiana" seems to me the most suitable.

Good question, Lucy Fan. The ending date on any poll is displayed above the poll in a black bar ;)

The only one I didn't like is Esmerelda, only because I associate the name with the character from "Hunchback of Notre Dame"

I'm mostly just excited at the high possibility of winning one of these awesome contests and worry that at the last second someone else will win. I know there probably won't be any prize, but it would be fun anyway. Sorry I know I'm being selfish or childish or both. I haven't won any of these contests but I guess I can consider the fun of entering too. :):eek:

Back