The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles of Narnia - The Films and Games > The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe The first film in Walden Media's Narnia film series

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Firefly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a good thread folks. I recall seeing somewhere(but I don't recall where) many of the places that C.S.Lewis frequented as a boy, and as an adult. The pictures showed beautiful forests, meadows, beaches, countrysides, etc. Looking at the pictures, it was easy for me to see correlations to many of the things he described in Narnia. I cannot remember the website, but it is probably still out there.

For me, when I write(stories that are God-breathed that is) I will have about five minutes worth of storytelling and no more. The interesting and fun thing is He usually will not give me any more until I write what He has already given me. Once I write it, He downloads the next part to me. So, many times I myself have ideas about what might take place, but won't know for sure until I reach that part of the story.

Aslan is on the move

"The boy's Eustace, my lord," hooted the Owl as loud as it could.
"Useless? said the Dwarf irritably. "I dare say he is. Is that any reason for bringing him to court? Hey?"
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

There has never been a time or situation when things I wrote were simply _handed_ to me in a complete form by the Holy Spirit. I've had to work and choose for myself. But I _have_ on some occasions been given clear _guidance_ for something. Probably the most distinctive instance dates back to my days in music ministry. One evening at home, subject matter and the start of a melody were practically _shot_ into my head all in a moment. What I received, became a song about Christ's temptation in the desert.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

It's a fascinating interplay, in my experience. Sometimes I will see things so clearly that it's just a scene I essentially transcribe. Other times I get a general idea of a scene, and as I write out the events and dialog it "comes into focus". What's really interesting is when I "see" a scene, and am writing it out, and realize, "Oh, that won't work" - either I'm writing it poorly, or it needs to be changed to harmonize with something else in the tale, or whatever - so I rewrite it, and the new part I'm writing is just as "right" as what I'd been doing.

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

My characters seem to stop and tell me that they feel ridiculous saying a certain line, and I change it.

That's why I took out the plot to shoot scud missiles at Cair Paravel, but I digress.....

Characters in a story are real and very much alive. This is so because the thoughts they think are actual thoughts in an actual mind. Problem is they don't own a mind, they rent the mind of the author and have to time share. Every feeling Buck and Bramble felt were felt by the same set of feelings that have served me well for 53 years.

Looking at the life of Jack Lewis, I'm impressed by the mind and feelings that the four Pevensies had to share when they thought and felt.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

All of the Narnian novels had already been written by the time Lewis met the love of his life. I wonder whether having Joy (here I mean the woman, not the mental sensation) in his life sooner would have had any effect on the content of the Chronicles?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Location: In my own little world, in the land of my imagination.
Lil Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfox View Post
All of the Narnian novels had already been written by the time Lewis met the love of his life. I wonder whether having Joy (here I mean the woman, not the mental sensation) in his life sooner would have had any effect on the content of the Chronicles?
I don't want to contradict anyone, but I'm not sure what you mean, Copperfox, by
Quote:
All of the Narnian novels had already been written by the time Lewis met the love of his life.
Being curious and thinking I remembered Mr. Gresham saying something about Lewis sharing his writing with them and so I looked it up.

In the "Prolog" of the "Focus on the Family Radio Theater" for the Magician's Nephew, Mr. Douglas Gresham (as the host) says "I remember well living in Jack's House in Oxford while He was writing the Magician's Nephew. How he would often bring down from his study whatever chapter he'd just finished writing and the chats we'd have about it."

MN was written (according to Google) 1955 and Joy did not die untill 1960 (according to wikipedia)

The prolog of the Radio Drama (for the horse and his boy) mentions him presenting the brothers with a typed manuscript of the book. (about to go to the for release) I know he dedicated the Horse and His boy to Mr. Gresham and his Brother.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question...
Old 07-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

I think Horse is dedicated to Douglas and David Gresham, so he was still writing the series when he knew Joy and her family.

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Friend of Narnia

MrBob will become famous soon enoughMrBob will become famous soon enough

According to wiki, CS and Joy first met in 1952 after they had corresponded for two years. Its possible he wrote LWW before his first contact with Joy.

PotW, you are right, H&HB is dedicated to David and Douglas.

MrBob

What's magic? Nothing but the ability to do what everybody knows is impossible.
...Only my dear little witch, just remember that nothing is impossible.

Marlowe to Anna Maria Rosalita
"Flight to the Lonesome Place" by Alexander Key
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Friend of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Princess View Post

In the "Prolog" of the "Focus on the Family Radio Theater" for the Magician's Nephew, Mr. Douglas Gresham (as the host) says "I remember well living in Jack's House in Oxford while He was writing the Magician's Nephew. How he would often bring down from his study whatever chapter he'd just finished writing and the chats we'd have about it."

MN was written (according to Google) 1955 and Joy did not die untill 1960 (according to wikipedia)

The prolog of the Radio Drama (for the horse and his boy) mentions him presenting the brothers with a typed manuscript of the book. (about to go to the for release) I know he dedicated the Horse and His boy to Mr. Gresham and his Brother.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question...
Don't apologize for being right! And for making my question a non-issue!

Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

This thread raises some fascinating questions about the creative process, and the writing process of Jack Lewis in particular. So I am hereby resurrecting it.

I'm not a fiction writer, so I have not shared the experiences cited by Copperfox, Evening Star and others when a character shows up and takes on surpising vitality and impacts the plot in totally unforeseen ways.

However problem-solving or creating ideas for crafts, -- and especially when I am thinking of lesson plans for children's worship-- ideas for modifications or solutions needed often come to me when I least expect it, so I can kind of relate.

Also, when such inspiration is put into reality I feel a sense of energy and joy; and usually things work out just fine, in fact better than I would have imagined. I guess since this serendipitous creativity most often happens at church, I see it as evidence of God at work, helping me to adapt or revise the lesson to better meet the interests and needs of where the children happen to be.

Creativity certainly can take us on surprising journeys!

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus