Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

When we started this journey, we started with unknown actors and the performance was magical. I would not mind if they made it just as magical while closer to the book with a bunch of unknown actors.

I agree, I quite like the idea of unknown actors. Then you have nothing to really compare them to/base your ideas of them on. The downside to this is that then people who are drawn to movies by "big name" actors are less likely to see the movie, and then even if the movie does turn out to be good a smaller income would probably result in no further movies being made.

I'm excited that they're finally continuing(?) the series but I'm not sure how I feel about recasting. I thought all the Pevensies+Eustance were perfectly casted, and while I can understand why Eustance would need to be recasted due to age and everything... I just would love to see William, Anna, Skandar and Georgie play the older Pevensies in HB and LB. They'd be just the right age, and they haven't done so much film work post-Narnia that signing them on would require hefty $$$. (Plus I'd probably implode in the theater from the nostalgia of seeing them all together again.)

Nice to see you p-c, They got Sony on so hopefully it won't be a tiny budget film now. My only real concern is the person they get to voice Aslan.

Hmm, This might get a bit of a budget since I can't think of any Franchises at Sony that have actually done well in the last few years. Even Ghostbuster's box office intake has stalled that "sure-thing" sequel.

The Silver Chair has always stuck with me since I was a kid, when I first read the book and when I used to watch the BBC series, I still remember the box set I had with the White Witch and Aslan on the front :)

After the film adaptation Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I was so disappointed that the franchise seemed to deflate in some manor. You knew that another one would probably not get made meaning The Silver Chair had lost it's chance, but now we're even closer to seeing one of my favourite Narnia stories on the big screen.

So excited to hearing more news about casting and so on... :D

Also here's a draft of a poster I'm working on...

the_chronicles_of_narnia__the_silver_chair_by_sirturn-dbg40p4.jpg

Last edited:
There is an recent interview with the Screen play writer David Magee on the web. I will not give the link because it is with a competing Narnia web site. Still it is a good interview that can be searched for. :D

Unknown actors

I would not be afraid of unknown actors. The fantasy genre has historically used a lot of unknown actors because the roles are, well, fantasy. Getting away from the original Narnia paradigm means the right actor will be cast for the role, even if they werent the original actors from a film released way back in 2005.

I would be far more concerned about how the scene near the beginning of the story, between Aslan and Jill Pole is handled. This is IMHO one of the most spiritually significant dialogues in the whole series of books, and much of the meaning of this story is lost if this scene is robbed of its spiritual parts.

The thing that makes or breaks a film like this is the skill the director has to tell a compelling story, with all the visual and aural elements available to them to use as tools. A good DP is just as valuable, if not more valuable than good actors.

Leather jackets are cool, but I doubt they would put her in one. I would assume they would keep with the timeline of mid 1940s fashions. The question is whether they will have a school uniform or not. While schools back then would likely have had some kind of uniform or stricter dress codes, Experiment House was atypical, especially regarding student behaviour.

MrBob

They might put Pole in a school uniform because the audience expects it. It would be disgusting to sexualise and objectify Pole just to bring in young male viewers. I don't even think Book Pole was old enough for cleavage, but that might not stop Hollywood.

'According to the "official" timeline, which hasn't really been used much for the movie series, Jill and Eustace were nine when the events of TSC take place. However, I see them going for a twelve-year-old for Jill in this movie, similar to how old they tried to make Eustace in the VotDT. Old enough for a romantic plot with Eustace but not old enough to be sexualized.

MrBob

I'm curious as to when and if this film will be released if it ever will at all.

The Voyager of the dawn Treader largely damaged Narnia movies badly. And I'm afraid they won't be able to pull off the silver chair.

Back