Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

BarbarianKing

Knight of Narnia
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
It's official! The Silver Chair is to be produced by The Mark Gordon Company!

This thread is for the discussion of this new production including your ideas for the cast, the plot, your hopes and fears for the film.

For my part, I always thought that The Silver Chair was the natural choice for the next film. Sometime ago I heard that Fox would probably make The Magician's Nephew next and I was not in agreement so for me, this is very exciting news indeed!

Last edited:
So my hope is that a new company means more accurate, also, I would just about die if the mess up one of my favorite Narnia scenes. They better have the end right.

The Silver Chair is my favourite Narnia book, so I'll be interested to see where it goes.

As for actors, I think they should bring John Gielgud back from the dead so he can play Puddleglum. Or better yet, just bring him back from the dead and clone him so he can play everyone. Even Jill.

As I have said elsewhere, I am hoping that Alan Rickman plays Puddlegum. Will be interesting to see if Will Poulter is still able to play Eustace. They will most probably get a new actor no one has heard off to play Jill. Glimfeather will probably be animated, so were just looking for a voice. Will have to think about Price Rillian and the Lady of the Green Kirtle, but I think that they both end up being someone good looking...

I nominate myself for Jill Pole.

Lol jk but for seriousness.

In all seriousness though
I'm very very very excited about TSC being next. Like BK said it's the natural choice, particularly if Will Poulter is able to continue as Eustace. I really enjoyed him as Eustace in VOTD despite not particularly loving the film overall.

I hear Will Poulter is already 20. He is getting too old.:(

keep in mind that will moseley was 18 during LWW. actors can play within an age range, and i think poulter looks young enough still that he can pull off being a teenager. obviously if they keep poulter, eustace's age will be bumped up a bit, but if they recast (which i doubt they will), the age will probably be bumped up anyway. hollywood has a history of doing that (harry potter aside) to make it appeal to a wider audience.

I think they should go with a new cast because they need to have someone who can still play being school age when Last Battle comes along. I love Will Poulter but in the grand scheme of things, this would be better

I think they should go with a new cast because they need to have someone who can still play being school age when Last Battle comes along. I love Will Poulter but in the grand scheme of things, this would be better

that is true, though i think both are equally as likely to occur (new eustace, old eustace) because of the way hollywood is. there could be legal implications and all that boring stuff nobody really cares about lol

i guess we'll see

i really enjoyed him as eustace so i'd like to see him stay on but i do totally agree he might be too old by the time TLB comes around if they make that into a film.

It would be great if they kept Will in! 20 already? Gosh! He might still look young enough to pass as a school pupil in his last years at the school. He did such a good job of the Eustace character it would be a shame to recast a matter of a few years after Treader.

They MUST get Puddleglum right! He is one of my favourite fictional characters; he was written very well. I can see where people are going with suggesting Alan Rickman - he has the kind of face one could imagine and his voice could sound suitably glum. Realistically I doubt he'd do this film.

This story is well rounded with events that happen that should really make for a decent film.

I don't know anything about the Mark Gordon Company - is it likely 20th Century Fox will be releasing the film again?

Maybe this news could bring a few members anew and back to this board. :)

Great news! I am really looking forward to seeing SC in the cinema when it has been made and released.

I do hope Will Poulter is chosen to play Eustace again: he was great in VDT.

I didn't realize Will was 20 already. he will be too old -- remember he and Jill want to escape because they are being bullied. A 20-year-old being bullied would be as dumb as that grown-up Prince Caspian in the PC film who was too dumb to realize his uncle was evil and that his uncle's heir's birth would mean his own life would be in danger ... I think they will need a new, younger Eustance. It's a shame because I loved Will poulter in the VDT film. I am excited for the new film!

Narborg, nice to see you again.

Inkspot is right. Skandar Keynes was only 18 during the last movie production and he was playing the oldest of the children. Yes, he could act down a few years, but by the time production starts for SC Will Poulter will be 22 and the character in the book is about 10 years younger. Here is the chance to get back to the books like the first movie was and to get child actors, not a teen age heart throbs which Ben Barnes was. Like inkspot was saying, why does
William Moseley have to fight for Ben when he is 6 years older than William in PC. They only chose Ben so he could kiss Anna.

Last edited:
I'm still going to say Jill and Eustace will kiss and they'll turn it into a romantic movie.

Mark Gordon has high connections in the British aristocracy. His ex-wife is the Countess Spencer after marrying Charles Spencer, Princess Diana's brother.

He also produced "Saving Private Ryan" amongst many other films.

MrBob

Pshh, they'll just update it to a college setting to deal with Poulter being 20. That'll rope in the 20-something crowd. Maybe they'll even have a Katy Perry soundtrack to go with it, and maybe it can be sponsored by Budweiser.

I didn't realize Will was 20 already. he will be too old -- remember he and Jill want to escape because they are being bullied. A 20-year-old being bullied would be as dumb as that grown-up Prince Caspian in the PC film who was too dumb to realize his uncle was evil and that his uncle's heir's birth would mean his own life would be in danger ... I think they will need a new, younger Eustance. It's a shame because I loved Will poulter in the VDT film. I am excited for the new film!
Narborg, nice to see you again.

Irrespective of who is chosen to play the part of Eustace, I just want to make the observation that bullying is not confined to children, although it is more common amongst them than adults. However, some adults are indeed bullied and their lives can be made hell, by unreasonable bosses, sadistic officers or NCOs in the armed services, abusive partners or other family members, violent neighbours, and others.

Well its early days yet but this is the first positive news we`ve had in a good while!
Hopefully this, combined with the recent announcement by Walden that they will no longer be directly involved in making films, just financing screenplays made by others is a sign that we might see `The Silver Chair` sooner rather than later.
And this morotorium business is finally at an end!

This is such great news, i'm positively bubbling over with joy!! I can't wait to see who'll play Jill and how they're going to capture that scene where Aslan blows her from his mountain!! I do hope they bring Will back but if they can't because of age difficulties then that is understandable. He was a great Eustace though :rolleyes:

Back