Quote Thread

Wow - where to start. There are so many to choose from. Here are a couple I can think of right off:

(TLWW): "Here is your brother," he said, "and-there is no need to talk to him about what is past."

(TLWW): "It means," said Aslan, "that though the Witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would hae known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward. And now - "

(Prince Caspian) Aslan:"Welcome, Prince," said Aslan. "Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?"

"I-I don't think I do, Sir" said Caspian. "I'm only a kid".

"Good," said Aslan. "If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not."

"My child, I call all time "soon"..." - Aslan to Lucy (VDT)

I don't think it can be typed quite as beautifully as it sounds..

the one about aslan shedding a tear for diggory and her mother made me cry the first time i read it... ditto the one about humans being descendants of adam and eve and what a great honor it is...

but one quote i also really like is this one, from the Horse and His Boy:

"You're majesty would have a perfect right to strike off his head," said Peridan. "Such an assault as he made puts him on a level with assassins."
"It is very true," said Edmund. "But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." And he looked very thoughtful.

This made me love and identify with Edmund even more! Another favorite of mine, from the Last Battle:

"Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek."

Beautiful words from Aslan. I love the role Emeth plays in the book.

I thought one of the best quotes was in the Last Battle Chapter 9: The Great Meeting on Stable Hill, page 111 on the night before the battle:
"Kiss me,Jewel," he said. For certainly this is our last night on earth. And if I ever offended against you in any matter great or small, forgive me now",
"Dear King," said the Unicorn, "I could almost wish you had, so that I might forgive it. Farewell. We have known great joys together. If Aslan gave me my choice I would choose no other life than the life I hsve had and no other death than the one we go to."

I just loved that part. And in page 129, last paragraph when Tirian announces:
"Here stand I,Tirian of Narnia, in Aslan's name, to prove with my body that Tash is a foul fiend, the Ape a manifold traitor, and these Calormenes worthy of death. To my side, all true Narnians. Would you wait till your new masters have killed you all one by one?"

That was just so amazing!

inkspot said:
I like it, Tarkheena.

I was not aware that "Scotch" applied to people, I thought it was only a drink. I thought the proper adjective was "Scottish," but if Lewis said it, it must be right.

"Scotch" was applicable to people at least until the 1950s, although the Scots have never cared for it AFAIK - but then, it's an English term for them. You can find a usage of the word in Murder On The Orient Express if you really have far too much time on your hands. I'd never use the expression these days unless I was deliberately trying to be annoying, which of course I'd never do. ::makes Bambi eyes::

don't know if this has been posted but here it is:

Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in any case, the made - up things seem a good deal more important then the real ones.
-Puddleglum (silver chair)

Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.
-Aslan (last battle)

these are all just quotes that I picked up her eand there that I really like

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."
- James Branch Cabell

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Ok I'll stop...for now

from Prince Caspian (sorry if these quotes have already been mentioned):
But for the movement of his tail he might have been a stone lion, but Lucy never thought of that. She never stopped to think whether he was a friendly lion or not. She rushed to him. She felt her heart would burst if she lost a moment. And the next thing she knew she was kissing him and putting her arms as far round his neck as she could and burying her face in the beautiful rich silkiness of his mane.
"Aslan, Aslan. Dear Aslan," sobbed Lucy. "At last."

and-

"What!" said Edmund. "Is there a way into Aslan's country from our world too?"
"There is a way into my country from all the worlds," said the Lamb; but as he spoke, his snowy white flushed into tawny gold and his size changed and he was Aslan himself, towering above them and scattering light from his mane.
"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"
"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a great river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder..."

I like...

Do you know why your here faun?-jadis
Because i believe in a free narnia-tumnus
and..........
Once a king or queen of narnia always a king or queen
and the qoute about aslan in my siggy

Some Quotes=
"It is not easy to draw one's sword when one is swinging round in the air by one's tail, but he did. [Sir Reepicheep, Chief of the Talking Mice of Narnia]"

Puddleglum] said. "Though when I say good I don't mean it won't probably turn to rain or it might be snow, or fog, or thunder. You didn't get any sleep, I dare say."

Kiss me, Jewel," he said. "For certainly this is our last night on earth. And if ever I offended against you in any matter great or small, forgive me now." Tirian

Jewel-"Dear King," said the Unicorn, "I almost wish you had, so that I might forgive it. Farewell. We have known great joys together. If Aslan gave me my choice I would choose no other life than the life I have had and no other death than the one we go to."

Tirian-"So," said the King, after a long silence, "Narnia is no more."

Theres a few.

i dont know if this is on here already but i like
this i going to be exciting enough without pretending-Peter in LWW
and
Then let us take the adventure tha shall fall to us-susan in LWW

Here are some of mine

" Your Majesty promed," said Reepicheep, " to be a good lord to the talking Beasts of Narnia.'
"taking beasts, yes," Siad Capian. "I said nothing about beasts who never stop talking."

" Oh, I don't mind two, not when they're little ones," said Fledge. "Baut I hope the Elepant dosent want to came."

...Please, Houre. I dont knoe your name
" Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoonhy-hah." said the house.

I guess one of my favorite quotes came at the ending of THE LAST BATTLE, and I'm sure a lot of people loved what Aslan said:

The term is over, the holidays have begun. The dream is ended, this is the morning.

Yes it is Narborg Reep says it to Eustace.
My favorite is from LB.

"And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them."

I also like "Murders, fascists, lions. It isn't fair." from SC

Back