Post Something Positive!

Fall is coming!! That means hot drinks, cozy sweaters, leggings, boots, pretty colors, crackly leaves, pumpkin/pumpkin spice flavored/scented everything, and most importantly, Halloween!! :D

Astronomy has always fascinated me, so last year I purchased a telescope. I started reading about interesting planet sightings and busted out the binoculars. I quickly became hungry for more. I eventually bought a $30 telescope online, that took me forever just to find a bright object in. It was cool though that it showed Jupiter as an orangish disc, with four of its moons as pinpricks. Finally, I did a lot of research, and purchased a legitimate telescope. This hobby from the comfort of my own yard has provided me hours of enjoyment and appreciation for God, particularly in the first person of the Holy Trinity, the creator of the universe and my Heavenly Father. If you've ever wanted to be in an Astromony Club but didn't get the chance to, or just love hearing about the planets and the night sky but haven't found the time to get around to much skywatching yourself...I hope this post will at least be for you the next best thing!

The Skywatcher Sky Max delivers sharp, undistorted views of the galaxy’s planets. It is classified as a Maksutov-Cassegrain, a type of relector that also functions like a refractor. I have clear views ranging from magnifications of 52x to 288x. Only the moon is clear at 288x, but the planets are still recognizable. Planetary images are still quite satisfactory at 144x. I decided to go old school and paired it with a manual camera tripod mount. While it has required much more work finding celestial objects, it has been remarkably rewarding as well. I was so excited the night it came, that even though I had to wait a few more days on the mount to arrive, I took it outside and pointed it toward bright golden Saturn. This was back in the Fall, only about a month after the Opposition of Saturn. I was blown away and mesmerized, even as my hands shook and I couldn't yet hold the scope still!

1711421987601.png

1711422028513.png

On Jupiter, I am able to see layers of bands and even make out the Great Red Spot. The four Galilean moons (Jupiter’s largest) are always visible within the same plane of orbit, although I can easily see ten of Jupiter’s moons at a time on a clear night. It is nearly impossible to hold my phone still to get pictures. Sometimes I can manage to take video and screenshot from there. Unfortanately because of the brightness and halo effect of Jupiter, the planets' bands don't show up through a smart phone. But this gives you and idea of the size through the lens. I did choose the 102mm size (or about 4 inch aperture) for its portability (the scope is only five pounds). Had I opted for the pricier 180mm model, some of the Galilean moons would appear in their own distinct colors!

1711424059535.png
Saturn’s surface is also discernable, and its rings can be clearly seen as separated from the ball of the planet; half a dozen of its moons come into view on a clear night. This picture from a video was taken even later, so it's smaller in apparent size. Again, the bands, separated rings, and all the moons don't translate on screen, but it gives you an idea of the size. And yes, that's Saturn's largest moon Titan at 2 o'clock, about two planet lengths up and to the right.

1711422506685.png

Perelandra (or Venus, if you prefer) resolved into a bright, featureless crescent because of its proximity to the sun (in some phases it appears fuller). Yet I know beneath the surface are warm seas and lands that slope with the waves.

I've yet to use it on still distant Malacandra. Mars orbits relative to the earth and sun on a two-year cycle, and is only recently emerging from the morning dawn. I'm far too inexperienced to even consider using the telescope anytime close to sunrise, as one wrong swing could risk permanent blindness!

Yesterday was this year's elongation of Mercury, so there is a small window of opportunity to find the closest planet to the sun this week. We have one clear day forecast, so immediately after sunset I will look from a rural area with an unobstructed view to the horizon. Mercury is not an easy find, and in fact I don't think I've ever spotted it with the naked eye. It's also so low to the horizon, where atmospheric distortion is worst. That, coupled with its small size, means the potential is little more than a dot in the scope. However, I've read some have found tiny an orange-yellow, or a gray-orange disc at even 200x magnification. So, I certainly hope to at least check it off of my list!

The elusive ice giants Uranus and Neptune are a much bigger challenge. This is from a social media post describing my adventures with Uranus back in January, not long after its opposition:

"FAR OUT! Last night (only my second attempt) I found the 7th planet from the sun! Uranus has been camping out almost exactly halfway between the Pleiades cluster and Jupiter. Within an hour of methodically scanning that area of dark sky, I did happen upon a recognizable pattern of four stars nearby (indicated by yellow arrow). To shift the telescope from yet another group of silver stars and instead suddenly bring into view something so different was indeed a majestic moment. There was the lonely planet, decisively sharp and greenish blue its softly but steadily illuminated disc. The last photo (found online), zoomed in, is a slightly larger size but virtual color match to what I saw of the planet at merely 100x magnification. It did intrigue me that it dropped out of view so quickly. I also noticed what may have been a moon or two. I could just barely notice a bit of yellowish white on the bottom of it, which I believe was (and would correspond directionally to) sunlight bouncing off the polar region. It was indeed a breathtaking solar system sighting!"

1711422871542.png

1711422899074.png

1711422923441.png

Neptune has been in the constellation of Pisces (since 2011), so it's been a dark area of sky for quite some time! Since it's opposition is not until September, I'll wait until summer to even attempt finding it. Although I hear the required star-hopping to find the minuscle blue-gray disc is not for the faint of heart, let alone in a 4 inch manual scope! Starhopping is vastly complicated by how the telescope flips the images seen through it like a mirror. It sounds manageable, but in the midst of fiddling with the up/down tilting and left/right panning controls, it can be easily disorienting if not daunting.

I have seen some interesting stars including a red giant, and have honed in on the Orion Nebulae. But as you can probably tell, I am pretty fond of the planets. I spent a little time on the moon too, which shows sharper features and contrast with a green filter. Here it is (zoomed in a bit) at 144x magnification:

1711425142971.png

Weather and traffic permitting, I'll be checking out the total solar eclipse April 8. But I certainly won't be using the scope for that. I'll bring protective glasses. Only after all of Bailey's Beads and the Diamond Ring effect, and only during totality, will I take my glasses off. I'll use my binoculars briefly within that short window to see red solar prominces. Is there anyone else on here planning to see the upcoming solar eclipse? Or anyone that saw the total solar eclipse in 2017?

Attachments

• 1711422252584.png
    1711422252584.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
A couple of days ago, I started an anti-inflammatory diet. How fortunate I am to have access to a wide variety of nourishing foods, herbs and spices. I am finding this diet helpful. I actually have a sinus infection right now, presumably from allergens. I am also rather woozy and fatigued at times, but I have found that typical when starting a new diet. I am very grateful for the cleansing process of this diet. And it is one that is not meant to be especially restrictive. In fact I'm eating quite a bit overall, especially to fight off this sinus infection. Seeing the benefits of this diet makes me want to continue to choose foods that are compatible with it.

The diet emphasizes replacing as much of my foods as possible with anti-inflammatory choices. These include many types of fatty fish, sardines, avocado, tomatoes, dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, beans and legumes, spinach, leafy greens, apples, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, oranges, sweet potatoes, whole grains, olive oil, and several teas for drinking. I'm not sure if honey is included, but I have found raw unfiltered local honey outstanding for reducing my allergies. Cinnamon and other spices are vital, especially turmeric, garlic and ginger. Herbs come highly recommended and we have an herb garden that has taken off this year that includes two varieties of mint, two varieties of basil, lemon balm, sage and rosemary. Sometimes for dessert I'll just have orange slices with a few sprigs of mint. Delicious!

I went on this diet primarily to help clear out my sinuses and respiratory system. It is working like a natural decongestant/expectorant! I have also been having a lot of muscle and joint pain lately. I am finding some relief in seeing a chiropractor again, yet I'm glad for how the diet helps with all of these areas! I am incredibly thankful for the ease of finding this information and being able to put it into practice.

Sir Godfrey, I love how the weather you experienced timely reflected the mystery and glory of Christ's Passion, Death and Resurrection. What a remarkable consolation of God's presence. I was bummed I had to miss Holy Thursday and Good Friday services this year and didn't think I'd have energy even for Easter, but when I woke up Sunday I found I just did. The sinus infection was gone just like that.

Benisse, glad you're taking some time to enjoy your well earned relaxation. Sometimes when I've been busy for a while, when I finally get some relaxation I find I enjoy it even more than ever. May God renew and refresh you.

I got a lot done today but here are two highlights. I finished cleaning and organizing the hall closet. It was a mess; now everything has a purpose and place. I also want to note that when I was going for a walk this afternoon, I encountered an unexpected creature. I saw a lobster 🦞 on the sidewalk. My neighbor must have bought him from the seafood department of the grocery store before he managed to escape, but he sure seemed happy to see me on my walk. God really knows little ways to make the day delightful.

Back