New C.S. Lewis Subsection - Vote Here

Title for Subsection

• Shadowlands (shadowlands.narniafans.com)

Votes: 107 72.3%
  • MerelyLewis (merely.narniafans.com or something like it)

Votes: 41 27.7%

• Total voters
I think

I think we are voting which one they should change the website title to
I am not 100% sure though that is just what I think

I don't know. But shadowlands.narniafans.com sounds like a good title. There was a movie called 'Shadowlands' that was about the life of C.S. Lewis, so an Internet site sounds good to me.

Still trying to decide?

Specter on 2005 August 8 said:
We're trying to decide on a name for our new C.S. Lewis book section. We have two names to decide between.

This section will feature all Lewis and Narnia related books, indepth essays and more writings.

We've got another subsection coming soon, as well, so whatever doesn't win, it may go to the other.
Are you still trying to decide? It is already almost two years? I am very interested and would like to see your book section. If it exists - where?
Or may be you already gave up long ago and just forgot to erase your request?...

BUT... before posting I went back and found your announcement you made eleven days later
Specter on 2005 August 19 said:
Shadowlands has won by an almost complete landslide. :)

http://shadowlands.narniafans.com/

APPARENTLY NOBODY NOTICED IT. THE REQUEST TO VOTE - REMAINS!

And your link... either does not exist or does not work...

Hello all - this is post #1 and already I have an opinion (go figure). I like MerelyLewis because, to me, Lewis was always about more than his allegories and illustrations, He was about the "mere" or unadorned truth behind them.

Mark

Merely Lewis? It seems to me people try to make too many plays off of Mere Christianity, and Shadowlands is actually about him, and I think is more not necessarily more "catchy" but more, I think, likable.

Umm...

...Ok, it's been over 4 years now, and I think... majority rules, right? :eek: I mean, call me crazy but Paul, you gotta get over here now and post so we know you didn't die or anything! ;)

...Or maybe you already made the section, but you didn't name it either "Shadowlands" or "Merely Lewis." ...?

The 1993 movie with Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins was titled "Shadowlands" as well, a tribute to one of Lewis' most profound and appealing ideas, I like the tribute to the new subsection here as well.

Netflix doesn't seem to have "Shadowlands" on DVD, although somewhere I saw it had been released on DVD. Anyone know for sure?

There are actually two movies: the 1993 Hopkins/Winger movie and the earlier 1985 BBC version. They're both based, more or less, on a play that someone wrote about Jack & Joy's relationship. My friend Sheldon Vanauken didn't like the 1993 movie as much as the BBC production, because it downplayed Lewis' faith more, as well as almost completely eliminating the miraculous element to Joy Davidman's recovery. (It also based much of its theme on the absurd premise that Lewis was an ivory-tower theorist who lectured on human suffering but knew nothing of it firsthand. This about a man who lost his mother as a child, was mercilessly bullied at school, fought in the trenches in WWI, and spent much of his adult life being ordered about by a tyrannical old woman.)

I don't know about you, but I whistled up Netflix, searched "Shadowlands", and pulled up both DVDs. I'd recommend the BBC version first, though there's no denying Hopkins and Winger are both excellent.

I don't know about you, but I whistled up Netflix, searched "Shadowlands", and pulled up both DVDs. I'd recommend the BBC version first, though there's no denying Hopkins and Winger are both excellent.

Both movies are in the Netflix database, but when you try to put the 1993 version in your queue, it goes into the "Saved DVDs" section with unknown date of availability. That movie has been sitting in my Saved DVDs section since May 2007 with no change. However, based on your recommendation, I have put the 1985 version at the top of my queue; I have not seen that movie before and look forward to it. Thanks.

Something about the 1993 version has slightly bothered me since the first time I saw it, and you finally verbalized it for me:

Lewis was an ivory-tower theorist who lectured on human suffering but knew nothing of it firsthand.

The scenes of him "discovering" what he had previously lectured on, and coming to a realization of his own teaching were exactly the thing that has bothered me without being able to exactly pinpoint it. Excellent, excellent. Nice to clear that up. Thanks for the post.

I watched the 1985 "Through the Shadowlands" with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom this past weekend. I liked the script better than the 1993 version, and I think I might have liked Claire Bloom's performance a little better than Debra Winger's (close call), but I do like Anthony Hopkins' Lewis better than Joss Ackland's. I really loved how they kept using parts from TMN to parallel the storyline in the '85 version.

I just saw it as well, and I think I agree with my friend's conclusion that it better presents Lewis' life and circumstances better than the Hopkins/Winger version. It's a bit drab, but I think that's a more accurate portrayal of Lewis' life at Oxford. There's no doubt that the Hopkins/Winger film is more entertaining, partly because of budget and partly because the lead parts are played by A-Class actors rather than relative unknowns like Ackland and Bloom. But the movie downplayed the centrality of Lewis' faith, and the Christian commitment of the couple.

I watched the 1985 "Through the Shadowlands" with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom this past weekend. I liked the script better than the 1993 version, and I think I might have liked Claire Bloom's performance a little better than Debra Winger's (close call), but I do like Anthony Hopkins' Lewis better than Joss Ackland's. I really loved how they kept using parts from TMN to parallel the storyline in the '85 version.

I finally got here to cast my vote, but I can't remember what the question was. Oh well...

Back