GondorGirl

Devourer of Threads
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
I know the Dr. Who fans are out there, I've run into them before. How many of you absolutely love the Doctor? (and which one? personally I love David Tennant)

Overview Notes Added from Barbarian King:
Doctor Who has been on since 1963. There have been several actors who have played the Doctor, therefore each one is called Doctor 1, Doctor 2, Doctor 3, and so on. Every time a new Doctor (actor) is introduced, the show changes some direction and the new doctor gets a redesigned TARDIS and has a totally different personality and dresses differently. He also picks up new companions. We are now on the 11th Doctor and the youngest one to date. Because it is a British show, they are called "series," not "seasons" as in America.

Anything before 2005 is considered classic Doctor Who and I won't go on that because you probably are watching the most recent series. So here is the scoop on the most recent series which started in 2005 with the 9th Doctor. Their respective episodes are in chronological order. Any Episode with either (1) or (2) or (3) means it's a story that took more than one episode so be sure to start with (1) first.

Series 1 (2005)
9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
Companion: Rose Tyler (Billie Piper

Episodes:
Rose
The End of The World
Aliens of London (1)
World War Three (2)
Dalek
The Long Game
Father’s Day
The Empty Child
The Doctor Dances
Boom Town
Bad Wolf
The Parting of The Ways

Christmas Special (2005): The Christmas Invasion (10th Doctor).

Series 2 (2006).
10th Doctor: David Tennant
Companion: Rose Tyler (Billy Piper)

Episodes:
New Earth
Tooth and Claw
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
Rise of the Cybermen (1)
The Age of Steel (2)
The Idiot’s Lantern
The Impossible Planet(1)
The Satan Pit (2)
Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Army of Ghosts (1)
Doomsday (2)

Christmas Special (2006): The Runaway Bride (10th Doctor)

Series 3 (2007)
Companion: Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman)

Episodes:
Smith and Jones
The Shakespeare Code
Gridlock
Daleks in Manhattan (1)
The Evolution of the Daleks (2)
The Lazarus Experiment
Human Nature (1)
The Family of Blood (2)
Blink
Utopia (1)
The Sound of Drums (2)
Last of the Time Lords (3)

Christmas Special (2007): Voyage of the Damned (10th Doctor)

Series 4 (2008)
Companion: Donna Noble (Catherine Tate)

Episodes:
Partners in Crime
The Fires of Pompeii
The Planet of the Ood
The Sontaran Stratagem (1)
The Poison Sky (2)
The Doctor’s Daughter
The Unicorn and The Wasp
Silence in The Library (1)
Forest of the Dead (2)
Midnight
Turn Left
The Stolen Earth (1)
Journey’s End (2)

Specials (2008-2010) With 10th Doctor

The Next Doctor (12/25/08)
Planet of The Dead (4/11/09)
The Waters of Mars (11/15/09)
The End of Time (12/25/09 and 1/1/10)

Series 5 (2010)
11th Doctor: Matt Smith
Companion : Amy Pond (Karen Gillan)

Episodes:
The Eleventh Hour
The Beast Below
Victory of the Daleks
The Time of The Angels (1)- watch Blink first (series 3)
Flesh and Stone (2)
The Vampires of Venice
Amy’s Choice
The Hungry Earth (1)
Cold Blood (2)
Vincent and The Doctor
The Lodger
The Pandorica Opens (1)
The Big Bang (2)

Christmas Special 2010: A Christmas Carol (11th Doctor)

Series 6 (2011)
11th Doctor (Matt Smith)
Companion: Amy Pond et al

Episodes:
The Impossible Astronaut (1)
Day of the Moon (2)
The Curse of the Black Spot
The Doctor’s Wife
The Rebel Flesh (1)
The Almost People (2)
A Good Man Goes To War (1)
Let’s Kill Hitler (2)
Night Terrors
The Girl Who Waited
The God Complex
Closing Time
The Wedding of River Song

Christmas Special Christmas Day 2011 BBC America 9:00 PM

The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe.

Series 7 (2012) First Half Companions, Amy Pond, Rory Williams

Episodes:
Asylum of the Daleks
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
A Town Called Mercy
The Power of Three
The Angels Take Manhattan

Christmas Special 2012
The Snowmen

Second Half- Companion, Clara Oswald

Episodes:
The Bells of Saint John
The Rings of Akhaten
Cold War
Hide
Journey to the Centre of the Tardis
The Crimson Horror
The Nightmare in Silver
The Name of the Doctor

50th Anniversary Special:
The Day of the Doctor

2013 Christmas Special:
The Time of the Doctor

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Baldy was ok. I'm sure to anyone who saw him first David Tennant wouldn't seem as good as him. he's still fairly good, but I always find myself imagining David Tennant saying his lines

I love Dr. Who! It gets my vote for the best written show on television now. I wish they played it in the US more often. It beats any show I've watched on TV. Some of thier humor reminds me of the great English humorist, P.G. Wodehouse. The writing is brilliant.

I like David Tennant's Doctor more that Christopher. He is a LOT better looking, and has a more energetic style. Martha Jones is a great companion for him. I wish she was more of just a friend rather than secretly crushing on him (Not that I blame her....) but I think they strike a pretty good balance most of the time.

yes she's better about having a secret crush on him than most female characters would be.

I really enjoy Dr.Who. The local PBS station plays the 2005 season pretty much continually. It's with Christpher Eccleston and Billie Piper. I liked their performance (probably because I saw them first and got used to them). Anyway, yes, I think it's a really fun show! :D

I was wondering when I'd find this thread. :rolleyes: *ahem* Hiii! I love dr. who and David Tennant. I think I have a secret crush on David tool. :p lol

I kind of like Martha, but Rose will always have that special place in my heart. She was my first consistent companion, since my parents were fans of the old dr. who but I never really got into it until it started up again. But yeah, LOVE Rose, she was turning into a mini-human Doctor, especially in her second season. I cried myself to sleep with her last ep. *sniff* It even got my dad crying, hahahahaha...sure he's a softy, but it's a really sad episode!!!

as for old Doctors......I'd have to say my favorites are 4,5 and 7. I've seen more of #4 than the others, but I find #5 quite charming and #7 is just cooky..ahaha...love him.

I like both the classic Dr Who show and the new one! And I do like both Rose and Martha.

Of all the Scifi-Fantasy universes Dr Who is one of the few that can absolutely curbstomp the SW empire without breaking a sweat and then some!:D

Old-series Doctor #4 was Tom Baker--who played Puddleglum in the BBC's version of "The Silver Chair"! #7 was, I believe, named William Sylvester--the LEAST macho Doctor since the very first one, who was first met when he was already quite old.

Speaking of being old, there's nothing like this to make ME feel old: most members posting on this thread seem not even to be AWARE OF the original Doctor Who series, whose first broadcast was on the very day C.S. Lewis died. I am familiar with all the incarnations of the original Doctor; but since the new series began it all from scratch, I have only seen the first new-model Doctor.

About female companions "crushing on" the Doctor: that has always applied to female VIEWERS as well. It was precisely the fact that the Doctor WASN'T out to get inside the ladies' pants, yet was very capable of protecting them from harm, that charmed female fans. Within the reality of the storyline, it made sense for the Doctor NOT to become romantically involved with human women, because there would be such an enormous inequality of knowledge and experience. One old-series heroine, a cavegirl type called Leela, most definitely and obviously was madly in love with the Doctor, but he preferred to behave like a father toward her. I imagine that he would have felt as if he were molesting a child if he had allowed the relationship to become erotic.

Long before the new series existed, I made up a song-parody lyric about the Doctor's effect on women in the audience. It goes to the tune of the old swing-era song "Begin the Beguine"...

When they begin "Doctor Who,"
It brings lots of girls vicarious romance,
Though they realize there simply is no chance
He'll ever tell anyone "I love you."

Especially in forms three through five,
He shows off his style to those he's adored by,
Till those female fans are hopelessly bored by
Mere men who are merely real and alive.

For after all, if you really could meet with
A genius and hero who roams time and space,
He'd be more than we Earthbound males could hope to compete with;
We'd take a back seat with a sheepish face.

So when Doctor Who makes the scene,
And girls give out sighs the moment they see him,
It's left to us guys to wish we could BE him,
Or at least have dialogue half so keen.

So then, let them begin "Doctor Who," let the music play!
Let the monsters and villains take another licking,
While the Doctor seems unaware that girls' hearts are ticking,
Wishing he'd steal them away.

Oh yes, let them begin "Doctor Who," and see what he'll do
To the Daleks and Cybermen who try to stop him,
While we poor mortal males despair of trying to top him.
Fantasy grabs
Girls, it's true,
When they begin...."Doctor Who!"

Lol! That's an awesome song, Cf. There's also a song about the TARDIS that's pretty cool.

As for Leela, I never watched any eps with her in it, but I'm not really all that surprised that she fell for Dr. #4. He was the best out of the older docs. :cool: I find it kind of funny that the women companions falling for the Doctor are more obvious as Martha. I kind of liked Martha, but she was so in love with the Doctor that I found it kind of annoying. At least with Rose, she slowly fell in love with him, instead of falling for him in the very first episode. :rolleyes:

btw, I think that the new version of Dr. Who is very funny. I loved #9 (Christopher Eccelston (sp)) and still love #10 (David Tennant). They're just awesome.

Nine and ten? As if in unbroken line from Tom Baker and those others? I had the impression that the new series was not a continuation of the old, but an independent retelling, as if the first seven Doctors had never existed at all and the first Doctor of the new series was to be regarded as THE first. That would explain their feeling free to make such "minor" changes as saying that the Doctor's ENTIRE race was destroyed.

they died during the last great time war somewhere in #8's time period. Although we only got to see #8 in a movie, but..yeah....x.x... It is considered a continuation of the old Dr. Who. They still had Dr. Who going on with the audio tape episodes and some kinds of books that were being written after #7 ended. So my guess is that they kind of picked it up from there with the #8 movie where the Master was killed (supposedly, as we see in this latest season :rolleyes: ), and then they started #9 in the new series.

This is Peter Davison as the Doctor:

He was #5 back in the 1980s.I love old shows.:D
He might be the one in that special,if thats the one GG told me about.;)

Yeah, he was the one in the special. I dig the celery... :D He's older of course, in the special. He's really cute here. :eek:

Sad to admit, I haven't watched a lot of Doctor Who in comparison to a lot of people... but in my defense I never saw it till this year on the Sci-Fi channel. Now of course I eat it up. I'm working through the series backwards, beginning with David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston, so I'll hit the older doctors a bit later.

As far as companions go, I love Martha to death. Yes, she crushes on the Doctor, but come one, as CF so aptly demonstrates in his poem, what girl wouldn't? Especially if he showed any signs of interest in you. And it's not like she's trying to force herself on him or anything, I think she's behaved very well, and she's really smart and mature. "Smith and Jones" is my favorite episode of all time. It's so funny and it kind of really introduced me to the Doctor and Martha. Love it!

I am aware of Paul Gann's portrayal of an eighth Doctor; but unless it is openly spelled out somewhere in his stories, I still can't believe that the new series is continuing from him.

The old series was so politically correct (for instance, ALL privately-owned business corporations INVARIABLY being evil) that I didn't see how it could ever be made any MORE politically correct; but the new series has managed. The first new-series Doctor was subjected to the indignity of being TREATED AS THE BAD GUY...for wanting to destroy a cute, sweet, cuddly little Dalek! This could not have been ANYTHING else than a heavy-handed ultra-hyper-leftwing message aimed against anyone so "intolerant" as to want to fight terrorists in the real world.

Well, I see Rose wanting to save it because the Dalek had changed. It didn't want to kill people. It just wanted to be "free" in a sense, but I can't say that I argue your take on it either, CF. I also got that subliminal message, I just choose to ignore it to retain my sanity. :rolleyes:

Back