He didn't turn people into those. The humans did it on their own. The Master just took them back in time.

Pretty sure the Master made them into those, but the people wanted him to because the end of the world had come and they were desperate.
Will give a definitive answer tonight after I watch "The Sound of Drums" with my parents.:D

And wasn't it her crazy old grand-dad who knocked four times? That freak! I could have strangled him.

Oi! Don't dis Wilf!

Even TEN thought Wilf was great. AFTER Ten gave his life to save Wilf's.

That's like saying you hate the people in the town Christmas because 11 stuck around to defend them for so long and they eventually gave up his life trying to save them. People can't always help it if they're put at the very heart of circumstance. And Satyr is right, Wilf did save somebody else by going in there.

And besides, how would you have felt about Ten if he had just left Wilf to die in there? Wilf didn't want the Doctor to die any more than the rest of us, and he said, "Just leave me in here." but it was the DOCTOR who didn't listen and the DOCTOR who knew that he had to do it. So ultimately, the Doctor did what he KNEW was right and really, I think we all would have thought less of him if he HAD left Wilf in there.

Oh, well, if you look at it that way -- of course he tried to tell the Doctor not to save him, but he knew the Doctor wouldn't leave him to die.

And I know the Doctor couldn't leave him to die -- he wouldn't be the Doctor if he did.

But I am still mad at the old coot ... Although he did stand by the Doctor, with his gun. There's a lot to be said for that. :)

BK and Inkspot:
Thanks for the thoughts!
First off, I meant to ask what you thought of Martha, not Jackie.. Sorry about that!

Anyway, I agree 100% about your thoughts on Jackie. I'd also like to add that, although she was kind of annoying at times, that annoyingness really gave her a distinct and very believable character.

I personally found Martha annoying, not as an actor, but by how the creators were potraying her. I felt like they were trying to show that she was a "sexy" (for lack of a better word) character. For example when there was only one bed for her and the doctor, in one of the early episodes, she made a big deal of it. She also wore very tight clothes most of the time, and that bothered me. I feel like I enjoyed her cameos after she left, more than when she was actually his companion.

I agree with BK, that Donna's worst quality was her shrill yelling. I couldn't stand Donna's cameos, before and after she traveled with the doctor, but when she was actually the doctor's companion she really wasn't too bad. I agree with inkspot that it was nice to have a more grown up companion for a change. I actually was happy with how her and the doctor parted. Unlike Rose, Donna wouldn't be tortured by the fact that she could never be with the doctor again; instead she would just not remember him. I felt like that was less tragic for her

I'm glad you're finally watching Doctor Who, Hyper. :D "Blink" is one of my favorite episodes.

Haha thanks!

Well, I just got to season five and I am amazed at the improvements!! The special FX are amazing, the story lines are really really interesting, the new doctor is also amazing, the music is better, etc. Also, Amy Pond is the the first companion, since Rose of course, that I have really liked (and really fit with the doctor)

Last edited:
Well, I just got to season five and I am amazed at the improvements!! The special FX are amazing, the story lines are really really interesting, the new doctor is also amazing, the music is better, etc. Also, Amy Pond is the the first companion, since Rose of course, that I have really liked (and really fit with the doctor)

Funny you should think that. I hated season 5. I thought the stories weren't as good and I *ahem* I really didn't like 11. At all. I blame this on Amy. I would really honestly like to know what you see in her, because she is my least favorite companion. I put up with her because of Rory. Amy just seemed so shallow and disloyal and... not companion-y. She never even seemed that helpful and she dissed Rory a lot, which made me think less of her. My favorite episodes of 11's are the ones where she's not there. I think Clara fits him much better- but I won't say anything more about her since you're not there yet. I also couldn't let go of Ten, which didn't help me to like 11 and his plots any better. I wouldn't have liked Amy anyway though, of that I'm sure.
And the music is definitely not better. My gosh, have you heard the music in "The Last of the Timelords"? Oh my word, I was freaking out about that a little last night.:p

P.S. I do like 11 now, but I had issues when I first started watching his episodes. >.< I have less issues now.:p

Okay, and Satyr was right, the Toclafane did make themselves that way, then the Master showed up and took them back from the end of the universe.

And my parents liked season 3. We just finished it last night. *sigh of happiness* Now I just need to make sure I don't give any season 4 spoilers....

Edit:
dr who is realy wierd i dont watch it

Watch more! I originally watched three episodes and then was thrown off of it for like two years and then I rediscovered it this summer and I loved it. Just keep watching.

Just keep watching
Just keep watching
What do we do we watch
Watch
Oh ho ho ho oh ooooh I LOOOVE TO WATCH DOCTOR WHOOOO!

(Also, the irony of your username....)

Last edited:
I agree with Hyper that series five is a definite improvement. Pretty much everything gets better from that point. :p

I re-watched the regeneration scene this evening so that I could get screenshots to make graphics. Even watching it a second time, out of context, I still cried. xD

But...'The Eleventh Hour'? Isn't that an awesome episode?

I like the first two episodes of season 5. Actually, I like the first 15 minutes of The Eleventh Hour. I love little Amy and 11 is hilarious. And I was watching it in Europe on my Doctor Who friend's phone, I was incapable of disliking it.:p As I think about it now, I'd probably like the episode a lot better now, but I have this bad habit of comparing things and I was trying to compare 10 and 11 and it wasn't working and... yeah, I just, I have attachment issues. Ask anyone. Psychiatrist's field day.
I thought that the rest of the season was just meh. I liked season 6 better though because we finally got River's backstory. And season 7 had Clara, so...

The anniversary special was awesome. My best friend and I went and saw it in the theater. I was a little disappointed with 11's regeneration episode. I felt like he deserved a bigger sendoff than he got.

Funny you should think that. I hated season 5. I thought the stories weren't as good and I *ahem* I really didn't like 11. At all. I blame this on Amy. I would really honestly like to know what you see in her, because she is my least favorite companion. I put up with her because of Rory. Amy just seemed so shallow and disloyal and... not companion-y. She never even seemed that helpful and she dissed Rory a lot, which made me think less of her. My favorite episodes of 11's are the ones where she's not there. I think Clara fits him much better- but I won't say anything more about her since you're not there yet. I also couldn't let go of Ten, which didn't help me to like 11 and his plots any better. I wouldn't have liked Amy anyway though, of that I'm sure.
And the music is definitely not better. My gosh, have you heard the music in "The Last of the Timelords"? Oh my word, I was freaking out about that a little last night.:p

P.S. I do like 11 now, but I had issues when I first started watching his episodes. >.< I have less issues now.:p

Let me explain myself better. I don't mean to start an argument but I really want to hear some solid reasons why you liked the earlier episodes better than season five. Here are my reasons for liking five better:

First off, the whole reason I didn't want to watch DW in the first place was because it was Sci-Fi. Now I've noticed there are two types of Sci-Fi: The weird random and freaky type seen in star wars, or the more clean cut and believable kind, seen in the new star trek movies. DW, in the first seasons was really the freaky type. In almost every episode there was a new villain; by presenting the audiences with so many villains, the makers sacrificed quality of character. The end product was that these aliens were very cheesy (the spider alien is just one example.) I started to enjoy season 5 so much because the creators presented the audiences with only a few, but, believable aliens. The show started to become the more enjoyable star trek kind of Sci-Fi

Into season 5 the whole show started to become more clean cut, or cinematic. The filmography, for example was a million times better; in season 5 there were more vibrant and crisp colors, the camera angles made more sense, and the special FX looked real. In addition, I believe the the sound FX and music hugely improved.

I agree that the music from "The Last of the Timelords" was beautiful, but that was just one episode. In the other 17 episodes from that season, they played the same musical riffs over and over again in the same episodes. Also the sound effects were the terrible low-budget kind that I've heard in about a billion other movies/shows/video games. In season five there was less, but better music, overall, and more intricate sound FX. The lack of music made the words in each episode mean more; they weren't so washed out.

Clearly the 10th doctor was "fantastic" and the fact that he had to regenerate was very emotional. That aside, I don't believe the makers could have picked a better doctor, than the 11th, as a succeeder to the 10th. The 11th doctor has so much attitude and character, and that's why I think Amy matches with him so well; Amy also has a lot of attitude and character. I do not agree that she was disloyal at all. Do you recall how many times the doctor told her to stay in the tardis so she would stay safe, but she only refused every time so she could help the doctor? That may seem disobedient to you, but to me, that was a very strong character trait of loyalty. I do agree that she was a jerk to Rory, but that was simply part of her character, and it made her character seem more believable to me.

I hope that covers it all :p. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hyper, have you... have you seen The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang? ALL the bad guy aliens... ALL of them.
And you have definitely not seen the Slow Invasion. Talk about a stupid bad guy...

So, in order to enjoy a book, movie, TV show, whatever, I feel that it must have several things: a good plot, intriguing characters and development. TV shows have an advantage over movies in that they can string out their core character's development over a longer period of time.

That being said, I love the complexity of Doctor Who, and the first few seasons of the new series illustrate that wonderfully. I felt that season 5 was choppy and, though it drew things together it didn't necessarily culminate very well, and I feel that that plays a big role in if a show is good or not.

Character wise, as I said, I don't like Amy. I don't think her behavior was acceptable much of the time she was a companion and I'm really not sure what 11 sees in her. And NO companion stays put when the Doctor tells them to, as all the Doctors lament, so that's definitely not a singular trait. 11 I just didn't like mostly because of spite because I missed 10. He's grown on me though. And you might think that that's no excuse not to like a season of the show, but it really is- because if you don't like the characters then it doesn't matter how wonderful the plot is, the show is spoiled.

Another thing: limited character development. Again, mostly with Amy. She never changes. Rose, Martha and Donna ALL change during their travels with the Doctor, Amy doesn't really change much... its rather disappointing. If she had started out as a jerk to Rory and a not-so-great companion I'd have been okay, but to me she's pretty much just stayed the same.

To be honest, I don't remember much of the plot of season 5, which says a lot in and of itself. I my main problem with most of 11's episodes were their underdeveloped plots. So many of them could have been so much more epic, so much better if they had drawn them out and explored various aspects a bit more. Especially the finale. That had so much potential, and yet the end was so... anticlimactic. Season 6 is worse in that respect. I think that to do the plots in 11's era justice they needed more two-parters.

And if you think that Doctor Who is anything more than the Doctor just running around fighting different bad guys every week with bad special effects... well, I'm not sure what to tell you without sounding terribly derogatory. We don't have blob monsters and jello snakes anymore, I mean, serious headway has been made.:p And I don't know what's wrong with the special effects in 9/10's era. I mean, they made helicopters with big lights and a wind machine and used real explosives, what more could you want?:p

I think Ten's villains were far more interesting than 11's too. I liked that there was so much diversity, not just daleks, Weeping Angels, and... and... what were those other ones?:confused:
Besides, Ten got one concentrated villain set for each of his finales, 11 got a whole jumbled bunch and they ended up really underdeveloped and it was unnecessary....

I think Ten's era had epic music. That's probably too opinionated to get into rationally though.

Oi, and what's wrong with Star Wars?:p

I could probably talk more, but I need to go. Little munchkins need me at church.

Haha, well I understand what you're saying better now Mozart. I'm not going to make a huge counter argument because this could go on forever, but this is how I feel about it now:

In the first four seasons, there was more depth and more content, although maybe not presented the prettiest.

While on the other hand, the fifth season lacked depth and content, but what content was there was absolutely gorgeous.

I see your side of the argument a little better now, although I don't completely agree, and I'll end my side of the discussion there :p

With few exceptions, I don't want to re-watch series 6 because it got me sick of all of that River Song stuff. Just saying.

BK never gives River an even break! But it is true ... River popped in and out and had such a huge role to play, if you didn't like her character/story, it would be frustrating. I liked her, but I felt like
*** Spoilers***
Rory and Amy's handling of loosing their baby and never knowing her until she was a grown-up psychopath/heroine was unrealistic. If they hadn't been able to find and save her as a baby, their lives would have gone a very different direction. This would have made for horrible TV. So, to keep the interesting River Song story complete, they ahd to sacrifice reality. I don't know if it were a good sacrifice. I wish they had made River be someone else and not the Ponds' daughter.
*** End Spoilers ***

Hyper, I am surprised you think Martha is made out too sexy when all Amy ever wears is a mini-skirt! I thought Martha was actually pretty sophisticated. I change my mind about whether I like that she was in love with the Doctor ... sometimes it's refreshing that the Doctor never sees it, but sometimes it's unrealistic that everyone falls in love with him. Cute as he is.

As for which episodes are better, I really like them all. Those Toclafane I don't like, that whole series with the end of the universe and Utopia and all -- really any of the ones with the Master -- I don't care that much for. I think the charm of the thing is in the storyline and the characters, so I don't mind the earlier ones compared to the newest ones.

I liked every Doctor since I started watching with Eccleston. Each time I think I won't like the next one, but I do ...

Sorry that this is a bit late but…

GUESS WHO GOT TO WATCH THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EPISODE IN THE THEATRE ON NOVEMBER 23RD?!?!??!?!?! THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! ME!!!!!! :D :D :D :D You may or may not have known this, but 11 cities across the US were selected to show the 50th on November 23rd at the same time it was being shown on tv, and my city was one of the ones selected! I was lucky enough to get tickets for it as it sold out within hours. I was able to grab some of my friends to go see it with. It. Was. AMAZING!!!! I saw people dressed up in cosplay and wearing whovian clothing EVERYWHERE! I joined in on the fun and wore my red Dalek dress from Hot Topic. We all cheered and laughed at several parts, and at the end everyone clapped. There was also this hilarious intro at the beginning of the showing that featured the Strax giving a speech about theatre etiquette and the Doctors turning on the 3D. There was also a special behind-the-scenes featurette after the episode. This was by far the best theatre experience I've ever had in my entire life!

Sorry that this is a bit late but…

GUESS WHO GOT TO WATCH THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EPISODE IN THE THEATRE ON NOVEMBER 23RD?!?!??!?!?! THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! ME!!!!!! :D :D :D :D You may or may not have known this, but 11 cities across the US were selected to show the 50th on November 23rd at the same time it was being shown on tv, and my city was one of the ones selected! I was lucky enough to get tickets for it as it sold out within hours. I was able to grab some of my friends to go see it with. It. Was. AMAZING!!!! I saw people dressed up in cosplay and wearing whovian clothing EVERYWHERE! I joined in on the fun and wore my red Dalek dress from Hot Topic. We all cheered and laughed at several parts, and at the end everyone clapped. There was also this hilarious intro at the beginning of the showing that featured the Strax giving a speech about theatre etiquette and the Doctors turning on the 3D. There was also a special behind-the-scenes featurette after the episode. This was by far the best theatre experience I've ever had in my entire life!
I am GREEN with ENVY!!! Houston had some showings, but we were so busy at that time of year, there was no way I could get my hubby to drive into the city. And to make matters worse, I missed Tivo'ing the show and was not able to see it until the Christmastime TV showings.

That sounds like so much fun!!! You are so lucky. Thanks for sharing!

Back