Beta Reading Society

How many chapters are there? I have a metric crapton of work to do, but I might be able to manage a chapter or so a week (unless it's finals, in which case school trumps all other obligations). How in-depth of a critique do you want?

Be warned that "Journey of the Grey Eagle" is a long book, and it is not written to please the politically-correct hard-left establishment. There are over fifty chapters, with average length of one chapter being about sixteen pages. Given your real-world responsibilities, I would not expect you to have it all read soon enough to reach my goal of "pre-publishing advice." But all the same, I would like to have you read it, because you are someone special to me. And I promise that there will be at least a few horrible things happening to characters. So if you're prepared to give me an e-mail address, I will send you the novel piece by piece over time.

You are free to make any comments you like; I can always dismiss them if I choose. :rolleyes: But what I specifically want is to know if the story is comprehensible to the reader.

In my own mind, I know who my characters are, what they want. what they fear, etc. But because I'm writing a complicated story, I realize that a reader might say, "What the heck is going on???"

Be warned that "Journey of the Grey Eagle" is a long book, and it is not written to please the politically-correct hard-left establishment. There are over fifty chapters, with average length of one chapter being about sixteen pages. Given your real-world responsibilities, I would not expect you to have it all read soon enough to reach my goal of "pre-publishing advice." But all the same, I would like to have you read it, because you are someone special to me. And I promise that there will be at least a few horrible things happening to characters. So if you're prepared to give me an e-mail address, I will send you the novel piece by piece over time.

You are free to make any comments you like; I can always dismiss them if I choose. :rolleyes: But what I specifically want is to know if the story is comprehensible to the reader.

In my own mind, I know who my characters are, what they want. what they fear, etc. But because I'm writing a complicated story, I realize that a reader might say, "What the heck is going on???"

I'll PM you my email... (perhaps we can do a story exchange, as I need to figure out what to do with a short story I'm working on....it's about the length of one of your chapters :p)

yes, internal coherence is terribly important....and often you forget that your readers do not know as much about your characters as you do.

Meanwhile I'm currently working on a paper on Platonic models of thought in Wordsworth's Ode and Prelude and Augustine's Confessions, and how both men use the Plantonic idea of anamnesis to arrive at very different conclusions... yay college.

By all means, salty-heart, show me your story. If you don't mind others seeing it at the same time, I would be very pleased for you to place it in the long-inactive Short Story Academy.

Beta Editor Request

I wasn't sure if this would be okay here, so please delete if necessary. I am wanting someone (preferably a Star Wars fan or someone familiar with the fandom) to beta edit/read my fanfiction. I was posting one of the stories on Underlined (since Figment is now defunct) and noticed some glaring inconsistencies between stories. I have the majority of one already uploaded that I can share via Google drive (or another method, if someone knows of one). I had a beta editor, but she made 2 corrections over a month ago and hasn't made any since. I think she's so busy with her own writing and life that she hasn't had the time (which I understand since I haven't had much time to write lately).

If you're interested, please post a visitor message on my profile or send me a PM. I don't really check threads much so I may or may not see a reply!

Back