Gun Nuts

inkspot

Beloved Disciple
Royal Guard
Emeritus
My husband is a very well-armed young man ... I think he owns 5 or 6 hand-guns. I grew up with a father and brothers who hunted, but it was never my thing -- and besides they used long guns of course, not hand guns.

So I've been learning to shoot with my husband, and it's been fun. He's a good shot already; he used to shoot back in the day before I knew him. I guess he gave it up when he and his first wife had kids, and they didn't want guns in the house.

Of the guns he has, I am most comfortable with a 9mm Ruger, and in target practice I am not a terrible shot with the targets at 9 feet and 21 feet away, which are the distances used to qualify for a concealed handgun carry permit here in Texas (along with 45 feet, but I can't even always hit the target at 45 feet).

Last night my husband got a new gun, a Springfield 1911 40-caliber. We went to the range, and he was doing very well with it -- even at the 45-foot distance. I shot about one magazine with it (7 or 8 bullets) and hit the center of the target every time, right out of the box. I think it must have less recoil than the Ruger.

Anyway, is anyone else a shooter? What guns do you have or like or want?

I don't personally own a gun, or a license, or the knowledge of how to shoot a gun...but as soon as I can afford it, I will probably start working towards acquiring my CCL. I hope to high heavens I will never have to use a gun against another person, but I'd feel safe knowing i had a weapon and the ability to use it.

That being said: I have family that hunts regularly, but I've never hunted myself. I figure if I don't have the patience for fishing, I'm probably not going to have the patience to sit there waiting on a deer.

I also can't tell you what kind of gun I'd want even if I had the ability to have one. It's just never been my thing. ;)

I've never been big on guns (compared to other weaponry, at least), but my mom and I have been thinking about taking lessons and buying some handguns if my dad has to move away for work. I took a class about guns at camp a few years ago and I kind-of know how to use one from that (they let us shoot plenty of different types of guns and told us about them). My favorite of all the guns that I shot then was a revolver. If I remember correctly I had the best accuracy with it and it was the easiest for me to use. I don't know if I'd be able to get one if we end up buying handguns for me and my mom, but I'd sure like one.

I've never been that big on guns, either -- but my husband is one of those people who fears gun control will soon take away our right to bear arms, so he is stocking up. Going to the range is something fun we can do together, so I am learning about guns.

One of my girls friends who has her concealed carry permit carries a hammerless revolver in her purse. The fact that it has no hammer means she doesn't have to cock it to shoot, and there is nothing to get caught on anything inside her purse if she draws the gun quickly. I may look at that myself after I get my permit. For now I am just shooting my husband's guns on the range.

Night before last we went to the virtual range -- has anyone done that? You use a real gun that has been converted to a laser pistol. We were on the 180-degree range, which is video screens on 3 sides around you, and targets pop up all over. I had way better accuracy on the virtual range than I do when shooting bullets at a real target... But the virtual range was fun, like a shooting gallery. Even if you don't own a gun, you can go in there and play.

I don't own guns either but I've been around them. My oldest brother was a hunter and gun enthusiast. He had tons of guns, even collectors guns such as the old ball and flint rifles. He was also a hunter at at one time wanted me to go a hunting with him. I never went because I don't think I could have had the heart to shoot an unsuspecting animal if it was not for survival. I do however, plan on buying one and and apply for a CCL sometime.

In First Samuel, when the pagan Philistines temporarily enjoyed domination over the Israelites, the Philistine rulers made an urgent point of DISARMING the Israelites -- even depriving them of the metalworking tools needed to MAKE military weapons. The Israelites wanting to regain their freedom did not make them "sword nuts" -- it made them LOVERS OF FREEDOM.

I have owned a Mossberg twelve-gauge pump shotgun for nearly five years. It's registered with my local police force. There are people I know who will be ASTONISHED to learn that I've possessed a firearm for so long, and yet, gasp, have NOT become a homicidal maniac! But the elderly have a MORAL RIGHT to have some way of defending their lives against younger, bigger, stronger criminal predators.... since it is a FACT that the police HARDLY EVER can get to a crime scene soon enough to do anyone any good.

BK, I am the same way about killing an animal. (Or a HUMAN!!!) I don't think I could.

CF, gun nut is not intended as a slur -- after all, we have a bunch of guns in our house, and I do not feel we are nuts about them. We've had a shotgun for the longest time, too. And for the same reason; a policeman friend told us a long time ago that the sound of shotgun bullets being chambered is about the most effective burglar alarm -- if someone has invaded your house in the night.

So we did the concealed carry class this weekend -- and I passed the written exam and the qualification shooting. It was not difficult. I only had one bullet go astray of the target when it was 45 feet away. The instructor told me I would have been responsible for where that bullet went -- but honestly, if the bad guy were 45 feet away, I would be running rather than shooting for sure.

The class was very interesting, particularly the textbook which explained that self-defense begins with awareness of your surroundings, that you ought always to be looking around and behind you and making eye contact with people in your personal "bubble" so they know you have seen them ... criminals apparently are looking for the unaware person who will be taken by surprise and won't recognize them later. You secure yourself to begin with, just by being aware of what's going on and who is around you.

There was lots more -- one interesting part was what happens to your body when you're in a stressful/possible shooting situation. The fight-or-flight reflex channels all your blood to your heart to get you adrenalinned up, so if you don't flee (or if you do) your extremities and your senses lack their normal acumen: your hands shake, your hearing is diminished, you get tunnel vision, you are somewhat desensitized to pain ... Because your brain is focusing all your energy on your ability to fight or flee. The book wanted you to understand that if you ever had to defend yourself with or without your gun, this is the hyper state you would be in, and you can't really trust your senses. The book wants you to be so comfortable with your gun that you could accurately shoot under these conditions. But, seriously?

I don't have a gun to carry and doubt if I ever would, but now I can if I want to. And the book listed some small "pocket pistols" that would be convenient to carry. We looked at them, .380's which is a small caliber, but the book said that the small .380 you carry has more stopping power than the larger .40 caliber gun that you leave at home because it is too big and heavy to carry. Made sense to me.

I've been around guns my entire life, I learned to shoot and was given my very first rifle at the age of three (yes, it's true. Why do you look so shocked?). I'm now twenty years old, and have not once fired a single shot that has harmed or killed a living thing I didn't intend to. I believe in self defense and most of all the defense of others whenever there is opportunity for it. It is a knight's duty, and I believe a Christian's duty.

I'm definitely a gun nut. At any given time I've got around thirty guns, but I buy, sell and trade a lot so that number fluctuates a bit. The guns I shoot the most are my Springfield 1911 Operator, my AR-15 (A Cav-Arms lower with a Saber Defense upper and a 1-4x optic named "Anduril." Flame of the West, you know), my $1200, incredibly tricked out, squirrel-slaying 10/22, my 8-round Taurus .357 magnum ("Big-hoss"), and my trusty S&W .22 Revolver.

I feel the same way as you do, Sir Tom. I'm a very protective person and I believe very strongly in being prepared to defend oneself and, more importantly, the people around them. I've been carrying a gun nearly all the time since I turned 18. I now hold concealed carry permits (which you shouldn't need, but that's aside the point...) for both Oregon and Utah which allows me to carry a firearm. I've also taken a couple defensive handgun and rifle courses and the Oregon Firearms Academy and Frontsite Nevada. I take defensive shooting and preparedness very, very seriously.

Do you ever open carry? I started when I was 18, you should look into it. Most states allow you to OC at 18 even if you can't legally conceal until you're 21. I still OC most of the time as it's just more comfortable, especially since I prefer to practice strong-side on-the-hip carry of full-sized handguns. I mostly carry my 1911 (with a Kel-Tec P3AT named "Wee-Man" concealed for backup) and two extra mags, though I do often carry my .357 instead. Either way, I carry LARGE handguns, so concealing isn't always practical, especially in the summer when I'm not always wearing a jacket.

Wow, you are a gun nut (as it were). Welcome, David, I didn't see you post before.

We own a shotgun but no other long guns, and I have never fired it.

I did get my gun to carry concealed, a Sig-Sauer P38 which I have not even fired yet. We haven't had time to get back to the range since we bought it. I like the looks of it, plus it is small and will be easy to carry concealed; in my purse, if I ever want to do that.

how do you like your Taurus? I have seen those in the store, but I am not familiar with the brand at all. My husband has a Springfield 1911, .40, and that is the gun with which I shoot the straightest. I think maybe Springfield just makes such a better quality gun ...

I'm definitely a gun nut. At any given time I've got around thirty guns, but I buy, sell and trade a lot so that number fluctuates a bit. The guns I shoot the most are my Springfield 1911 Operator, my AR-15 (A Cav-Arms lower with a Saber Defense upper and a 1-4x optic named "Anduril." Flame of the West, you know), my $1200, incredibly tricked out, squirrel-slaying 10/22, my 8-round Taurus .357 magnum ("Big-hoss"), and my trusty S&W .22 Revolver.

I feel the same way as you do, Sir Tom. I'm a very protective person and I believe very strongly in being prepared to defend oneself and, more importantly, the people around them. I've been carrying a gun nearly all the time since I turned 18. I now hold concealed carry permits (which you shouldn't need, but that's aside the point...) for both Oregon and Utah which allows me to carry a firearm. I've also taken a couple defensive handgun and rifle courses and the Oregon Firearms Academy and Frontsite Nevada. I take defensive shooting and preparedness very, very seriously.

Do you ever open carry? I started when I was 18, you should look into it. Most states allow you to OC at 18 even if you can't legally conceal until you're 21. I still OC most of the time as it's just more comfortable, especially since I prefer to practice strong-side on-the-hip carry of full-sized handguns. I mostly carry my 1911 (with a Kel-Tec P3AT named "Wee-Man" concealed for backup) and two extra mags, though I do often carry my .357 instead. Either way, I carry LARGE handguns, so concealing isn't always practical, especially in the summer when I'm not always wearing a jacket.

With all that hardwear I am suprised you even get out the front door.

I meant to say: where I live, Texas is not an open carry state for handguns. For long guns, for hunting, yes, but for handguns no. I find this very odd, as growing up in AZ it was an open carry state -- I didn't understand why everyone in TX was so hot to get their CHL until I realized that you can't carry your handgun any other way here. There is a movement now to change the law and make this an open carry state, but now, no.

Oh yeah, Texas... Haha, I've been to Texas quite a few times. I was just there like a week and half ago, actually. Everyone always acts like I'm going to some kind of gun rights mecca when I go there, and I always have to inform them that Oregon actually has as good if not better gun laws than Texas does. Whenever I'm in Texas I need to be careful to keep my gun concealed! Thankfully my Utah CHL is recognized there so I can at least carry legally, but still... It's not something I usually have to worry about.

I really like my Taurus alright. I much prefer Smith and Wesson or Ruger revolvers, but I bought the Taurus used for fairly cheap (like $300 in good condition) because I just wanted a good rough-use woods gun. It's great for that purpose, and I love having 8-rounds instead of 6. At the end of the day, though, I do much prefer my Springfield 1911, so that's my primary carry piece.

And I assume you mean a Sig Saur P238, Ink? Those are great little guns! I've put a few mags through my buddy's. It's easily the best .380 pocket pistol on the market, and as a huge fan of the 1911 platform I'd LOVE to have one. Unfortunately they cost about 3 times as much as my Kel-Tec P3AT does, and since my .380 is nothing but a house and back-up gun, the Kel-Tec gets the job done just fine. If I was ONLY going to carry a .380 as my primary weapon, though, I'd definitely want to have a P238. Someday when I have enough money to justify the expenditure I'm sure I'll get one!

Yes, P238, sorry. I will attach a photo -- it is the "Copperhead" special edition. My husband had got me a Beretta 9-mm Nano that I could not get used to; it jammed constantly. I had put maybe 300 rounds through it (slowly with all the jamming!) and it just wasn't working for me, so my husband and I took it with us to gun shop, and they bought it for what i thought was a really good price -- and enabled me to get the Sig Sauer. So your Taurus revolver has 8 rounds? I will have to look it up. I considered getting a hammerless revolver as my carry gun, but I really liked the feel of the Sig so much better. I hope I will like shooting it! This is my husband's busy season for his business, and we have not had any time to get to the range. I like my lil gun so much, I am sure I will like shooting it. I am an OK shot with my Ruger 9mm, but it is big for me to carry. I was thinking of checking out the Springfield 1911 9mm, because I like my husband's .40 so well -- but it will be big as well, and I want something small for my purse.

Attachments

• Copperhead.jpg
    Copperhead.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 31
My Ex. had a S&W .357. She called it her baby. When we broke up she said she wanted all the guns. She was always wanting another gun so I would buy them for her, so she felt they were all gift to her and she should get them all.:(

My family (meaning my dad) is thinking of getting a gun. I prefer Medieval weaponry myself, but it isn't usually practical. So, does anyone have suggestions on a good gun?

Depends on what you want it for. Do you want a shotgun for medium range defense and hunting, do you want a pistol for concealed carry and/or moment's notice self defense, or do you want a long-range rifle?

Back