Contest #12 Verses and Vignettes

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Announcing a New Verses and Vignettes Poster Contest

Imagine you are making a poster featuring a Bible verse. But instead of using a nature scene or biblical story to illustrate it, you instead illustrate it with a scene from one of the Chronicles. What Bible verse and what incident from the Chronicles would you pair up?

For example,
Picture Shasta in the dark of the tombs outside of Tashbaan. The moon is shining across the windswept desert, casting eerie shadows from the tomb mounds like menacing fingers stretching across the sand. In the distance you can just make out the glint of predatory eyes. Yet Shasta has stretched out on the ground, peacefully sleeping, his back against a huge Cat calmly keeping watch through the night.

Across the bottom of this picture in white letters is this verse:
Psalm 23: 4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Two types of entries for this contest will be welcomed, with separate prizes for each category:
[1] written descriptions (see example above)
[2] graphic realizations of the posters you design combining scenes from Narnia with a biblical passage or scripture verse of your choosing.

Deadline for submissions: December 27, 2012. Multiple entries are fine. Winners to be announced around January 1, 2013, depending on the number of entries.

Looking forward to reading/seeing your creations!

Last edited:
I'll start the (non-graphic) ball rolling.

Visualize King Tirian in The Last Battle, accompanied by Jewel, Jill, Eustace and Poggin, bursting on the scene in front of the Stable as Shift is about to set his flunkies on the Talking Boar. The Scripture is:

Proverbs 28:4​

"Those who forsake the law praise the wicked; but those who keep the law, strive against them."

I'd like to enter a written description for the contest.

King Tirian tied to the tree with the calligraphic caption, "'Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.' -Revelation 2:10 "

[COLOR="Blue"[COLOR="Blue"]]Aslan tied to the stone table, patiently bearing the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being heaped upon him by the rabble on the White Witch's side, hearing her taunts, and finally consenting to be slain by her, purely because of his love both for Narnia and for Edmund, even though the latter had betrayed him.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.[/COLOR]
(John 3:16)[/COLOR]

Last edited:
]Aslan tied to the stone table, patiently bearing the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being heaped upon him by the rabble on the White Witch's side, hearing her taunts, and finally consenting to be slain by her, purely because of his love both for Narnia and for Edmund, even though the latter had betrayed him.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

(John 3:16)

Yours is better than mine. :D

I definitely want to enter this contest! :D I already have an idea, but need to wait until I have time to do some graphic work.

The Last Battle

"Your father and mother and all of you are - as you used to
call it in the Shadowlands - dead. The term is over: the
holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the
morning."
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but
the things that began to happen after that were so great and
beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the
end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they
all lived happily ever after.

Revelation 22:4 And they shall see His face; and His name shall be in their foreheads

Poster

god_so_loved_the_world.jpg

This is an entery for the contest that my daughter and I worked on together.

Beautiful job Marshwiggle and daughter!

For all you reading this -- the deadline has been extended a few days; get your entries in by 1/1/13 ;)

I recognize that I am posting this well after both deadlines. ;) If you don't want to count it in the contest, that is quite all right. I wish that I could have gotten this in more promptly, but I have been super busy, and only just had time to make it.

Attachments

• Rabadash.jpg
    Rabadash.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 192
Thank you D...
Your entry will be included. But now this thread is closed till judging is complete next week.

Congratulations!

Thank you to all who participated in this Poster contest. Your entries were a delight to consider. Judging was close, but at last I have winners to announce.

The prize for the verbal description category goes to Sir Tom for his pairing of Tirian and Revelations 2:10.

The prize for the graphic version of the scene+verse goes to Marshwiggler (and daughter) for their rendition of John 3:17 and Edmund's first encounter with Aslan.

As awards, Sir Tom will receive a postcard of the Last Battle, and Marshwiggler will receive a postcard of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. These postcards, which replicate the original British paperback covers by Pauline Baynes in the 60's are from the Wade Center, a center at Wheaton College in Illinois for research into the works of C.S. Lewis and his contemporaries.

Congratulations!
2r4pkxw.jpg

Last edited:
Back