"Further Up and Further In.."

Sir Godfrey

Knight of The True Aslan
The Last Battle is no doubt riddled with allegorical references to Revelaton. However, it also makes allusions to other Biblical truths (no suprise there). I was dwelling on Aslan's words. "Further up and further in.." At this point Aslan is prompting the Children to keep moving beyond Truth Narnia and into the Sanctum or dwelling of Aslan and his Father. While this urging of Aslan is to the souls of the children who are in sense moving physically towards paradise, I believe it also alludes to our relationship with the Most High: that C.S. Lewis is saying we must move in our relationship with Christ "further up and further in.." That we cannot settle for a lukewarm or marginal relationship with God. We must endeavor to go deeper and further and arrival in Aslan (Christ)'s Country. :)

That's always how I've understood the phrase - not just as a call to those who have gone onto the True Narnia, but something even for us here: we are called to a deeper, purer relationship with Aslan even while we live here in the Shadowlands. Remember that Jewel recognized the New Narnia when he got there - everything he'd loved about the Old Narnia was only because it was a reflection of the New. So for us, it's a matter of recognizing the Heaven already around us, the gleams of Eternity that shoot through the stuff of everyday life.

Read The Great Divorce. There, one of the saints in Heaven remarks, "Every one of us lives only to journey farther and farther into the mountains"--which _means_ going deeper in fellowship with God.

Last edited:
Read The Great Divorce. There, one of the saints in Heaven remarks, "Every one of us lives only to journey farther and farther into the mountains"--which _means_ going deeper in fellowwhip with God.

Thanks for the recommandation Copperfox. I shall add it to my vast pile of must reads. :)

Ps. I meant to inquiry in my first post if anyone sees any other references in the Last Battle that are allegorical of our walk with Aslan? I recall that Narnians are divided into four groups, one includes the dwarves who won't believe in Aslan anymore. It's been a while since I read LB and thus I cannot give a exact quote, but I think it is worth discussing.

Last edited:
Well, one aspect of our walk with Jesus/Aslan is facing the fact that He won't give obvious short-term support every time we think He should. Thus, after Tirian and company had liberated the ungrateful Dwarfs, when the Dwarfs refused to believe in Aslan, Tirian was compelled to say: "Do you think I carry Him around in my wallet?"

We can in fact carry Aslan/Jesus around in our HEARTS; but this is not guaranteed to be seen and understood by other people.

Back