Contest 23: Riddles!!

What is your favorite Riddle? (Poll option limit = 10, so riddles are grouped)

• by Peepiceek: #4 Stranger,#5 Late Convert, #6 Exile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #7 Nose, #9 Mystery #20 Saviour, #39 Wordplay

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #44 Dance, #46 Who Said to Whom?, #51 Sleeper

• by Bénisse:#2 Polarity, #54 Beware, #67 Found, #77 Promise

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • by Glenburne: #10 The Traveler, #36 Cook's Nightmare

• by Copperfox: #46 Deep Question, #60 Wrong Approach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glen, I'm wondering if your Traveller has the same referent as my Mystery?

Assuming you're referring to the object rather than the act, then I believe so. I hadn't thoroughly read through your riddles before writing mine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
confirming Peeps' guess for Traveller and Mystery

So are the two of you (Glen and Peeps) talking about the Stone Table?

on Traveller and Mystery

Okay, Glen and Peeps
Here is another guess. Are you talking about the Stone Knife on the table on Ramandu's Island in care of that retired-star? Although it was used in the wicked act of slaying Aslan, because of the Deeper Magic from before the dawn of time a nobler outcome resulted. And now it sits at Aslan's table and must not be used wantonly, but with circumspection and honor because of its part in Aslan's story....

The Traveler

Though grey and legless I may be
I have traversed the land and sea,
And at a reverend board my seat
Is honored, even by the great.

Mystery

Mystery! That wicked act which makes others to weep
Be noble too, thanks to a Magic Deep,
That battler which lie still while quarrellers sleep
Be given to unshining star to keep.

Correct, as regards Mystery. 'Battler' is a reference to the fact that the White Witch fought with it during the Battle of Beruna, and the quarrellers are of course the three lords who fought and seized the knife, and now lie sleeping.

Peeps

My riddle only refers to the knife.

Guiding saviour, dying saviour,
Finding saviour, crying saviour;
Saviours four upon the sea,
Yet saving’s work depends on me.

These don't have anything to with the different forms Aslan appears in during the Dawn Treader voyage, do they?

on Savior

Guiding saviour, dying saviour,
Finding saviour, crying saviour;
Saviours four upon the sea,
Yet saving’s work depends on me.

Just some random thoughts --
Guiding - when Aslan guided Shasta over the mountain pass into Narnia?
Dying - when Aslan died in Edmund's stead?
Finding savior - Aslan's clues leading to the recovery of Prince Rilian?
Crying savior - Aslan's empathetic tears at Digory's pain and concern for his mother's illness?

Or maybe all of these references need to refer to Silver Chair?
guiding - Aslan's bringing Eustace and Jill into Narnia, giving them clues, etc.?
dying savior - Aslan's comment to King Caspian after he died and reappeared in Aslan's country that He had died too?
four upon the sea - not sure about this one, but there was an underground sea in the underlands that at least 3 rode (Puddleglum, Jill, Eustace ) or maybe it meant those 3 + Rilian escaping the sea after rescuing the gnomes from the green witch's spell?
crying saviour - Rilian crying out to be freed from the accursed silver chair and his subsequent slaying of the green serpent/witch
yet saving's work depends on me - the responsibility Jill (and Eustace) had to remember the clues so she and Eustace and Puddleglum could rescue Rilian ; or else it could be Puddleglum talking about his stamping out the enchanted green fire?

Benisse

I like your thoughts. You are slightly closer to the right line of thinking with your Silver Chair thoughts than with the earlier ones, but still not that close... You haven't yet correctly identified any of the 'saviours' referred to.

Don't know if I should give more clues... I'll leave it at that for the moment ;) You can ask me some yes/no questions if you like.

Peeps

Q. on Savior

Peeps -- 1st question:
guiding, dying, finding, crying saviours = 4 saviours upon the sea?

This is a fun contest! I'm awful at riddles - solving and creating them! - but it will be fun to go through this thread and ponder all of those that you all are posting. :)

Cook's Nightmare

Bad broiled, bad roasted,
Foul in soup, horrific toasted:
The taste is nothing you will savor
Unless you can reduce the flavor.

Answer by Peepiceek

Last edited:
You are slightly closer to the right line of thinking with your Silver Chair thoughts than with the earlier ones, but still not that close... You haven't yet correctly identified any of the 'saviours' referred to.

So am I right in thinking that the answer to the riddle is found in Silver Chair and not in another book?

Guiding saviour--Caspian?
Dying saviour--the dead giants?
Finding saviour--the writing on the stone?
Crying saviour--Rillian asking to be freed in Aslan's name?

Last edited:
Glenburne said:
So am I right in thinking that the answer to the riddle is found in Silver Chair and not in another book?
Nope, that answer was closer because she was identifying the clues with different people involved in a particular incident rather than with different incidents involving a particular person, but that incident is not in TSC.

Is your Cook's nightmare about something Puddleglum was cooking? No, wait, I think maybe it is about the cooking of marshwiggles in the giants' cookbook.

Peeps

Wordplay

My first's in a trumpet, but not in a horn,
My second's the family or tribe where you're born,
My third's in this article, definitely,
My fourth's a small person or planet or tree.

Answer by Bénisse

Last edited:
on Wordplay

Posted by Peeps:

My first's in a trumpet, but not in a horn,
My second's the family or tribe where you're born,
My third's in this article, definitely,
My fourth's a small person or planet or tree.

Well here goes. Are you talking about syllables?
1. Trump
2. kin
3. the
4. dwarf

my guess: Trumpkin the dwarf

Back