Which Aslan In The Films Is Your Favorite?

Lucy Fan

I personally liked Aslan in PC best. He looked very realistic and very young and powerful. In LWW, we all know he was small, because Lucy was small and as Lucy grew so does he. But, as good as his animation was I feel he was too animated (not meaning he looks like a cartoon though). In VOTDT his main seemed to light, almost white. It may be that he appeared on beaches where it was really sunny and the sun reflected off his mane a lot but in Lucy's dream where Aslan appears to Lucy after she becomes Susan in that dream where she used the spell from Coriarkin's spell book---his mane was lighter too. Not sure if I spelled his name right.

Hi Lucy Fan

One of the mods may move this thread, as this part of the forum is for discussion of the books rather than the films. But I'll respond anyway.

It had never occurred to me that Aslan was animated differently in the different films. I'll have to re-watch them now. But now that you say it, perhaps Aslan is a bit bigger in PC.

I really like that image in the PC book (and film) that Aslan grows bigger as we do. I never understood that when I was younger - it really confused me - but then a few years ago I understood what it meant, and now that's one of my favourite scenes in the whole series :)

Peeps

I moved this thread to the movie discussion section. Thanks for starting this topic, Lucy.)

This may sound strange, but I like the Children's Theater Works animated Aslan the best because the contrast pre vs. post sacrifice is so strong, and the romp after the Resurrection is so much fun.

I moved this thread to the movie discussion section. Thanks for starting this topic, Lucy.)

This may sound strange, but I like the Children's Theater Works animated Aslan the best because the contrast pre vs. post sacrifice is so strong, and the romp after the Resurrection is so much fun.

Sorry Benisse, I tend to put topics in the wrong place, but I do look first and decide where I think a topic should go but it usually ends up being wrong. :eek: Aslan is my second favorite character with Lucy being the first (obviously).

I think Aslan in the Disney/Walden version of LWW is my favorite. In PC he didn't live up to my expectations for some reason. That may perhaps be due to the first scene he's seen in in PC. In the book, Aslan mysteriously speaks Lucy's name several times at night amid trees slowly returning to their fullness of life. In the movie in my judgment the trees bended in artificial, slightly-too stiff movements and Aslan doesn't call Lucy's name and it's early morning and he wasn't computer-generated all that well at least in that scene. So the scene was not at all how I had hoped it would be. Truthfully, in the BBC version, that's one of my favorite scenes, as it's done correctly there and, given the special effects available during the early 1990's, done considerably well. Speaking of the BBC version, I really like Aslan's voice, although I like the use of Liam Neeson's just as well. I agree that Aslan in the Fox/Walden VDT has several issues. He also looked a little bit too old there, more like you might expect him to appear at the end of The Last Battle, but with some CGI hiccups as mentioned.

To be honest... I ignore the existence of the PC movie... I just pretend it doesn't exist... and I watch VDT only as a random movie, not as a Narnia movie. So the LWW Aslan is the "only" movie Aslan for me. And personally, I don't really care. Aslan is Aslan and that's the only thing that matters to me. I never noticed any differences in the animation. The first Aslan I knew was from the BBC mini series (still the best adaption in my opinion, even though the animation is horrible!) and didn't even notice the poor animation, until I've seen the difference when watching LWW for the first time. Still, I only care for the character and I prefer book Aslan. The animation in LWW is good enough for me :) And I always enjoy watching it. While I usually prefer watching movies with the original sound, I really like the German dub, because I always associate Thomas Fritsch's voice with Aslan...

Last edited:
I'll have to re-watch the movies to check on the differences but for now, I like the Aslan in LWW. When I first saw the movie, I literally had tears in my eyes when Aslan first comes out of his tent to meet the beavers and Pevensies. He looked (to me) so majestic and beautiful, I loved Him.

I'll have to re-watch the movies to check on the differences but for now, I like the Aslan in LWW. When I first saw the movie, I literally had tears in my eyes when Aslan first comes out of his tent to meet the beavers and Pevensies. He looked (to me) so majestic and beautiful, I loved Him.

I agree with BK. His emotions were raw in LWW, plus he was a bigger character in this movie than the rest of them. I also like Aslan in PC, the scene with him and Lucy talking was very well done. I just love Aslan really, no matter what movie he's in!

Out of the three films, Aslan from the LWW is probably my favourite. The fact he's in more of the film makes him more memorable.

Back