Official poster for Battle of the Five Armies:

10467040_10152521102786558_6318007250642602741_o.jpg

(image courtesy of TheOneRing.net)

Final trailer brings a tear to my eye, especially the line about "Will you follow me one last time. "it's not just Thorin asking us. It's Peter Jackson asking us, his fans, to follow him to Middle Earth for the last time, after following him for over a decade.

more upbeat note: does anyone else think Bofur has a sweet hat? I mean it is seriously one cool hat.

Final trailer brings a tear to my eye, especially the line about "Will you follow me one last time. "it's not just Thorin asking us. It's Peter Jackson asking us, his fans, to follow him to Middle Earth for the last time, after following him for over a decade.

I know I felt just the same way! And especially because his or my birthday movies – – for the three Decembers when the first trilogy films came out, and now the last two Decembers, my birthday means a new Middle Earth film! But this is the last one...

**Sigh**

I can't tell the dwarves apart-- is bofur's hat the one with the wings?

I only know about half of who the Dwarves are without looking at a guide.

And Sven, I imagine this trailer is one of only TWO final trailers. Another one always gets released closer to when the movie comes out (and since Peter is still working on editing and such, I know we'll get another one; he just wouldn't break habit like that). ;) I can't wait to see that one!

True, there is another trailer due, but, still, folks, we are coming to the end of the ride. It may have seemed that way for me with Star Wars, but there is always plenty of story to tell. Middle-earth hwoever is a finite story. Could some one do the inevitable remake/reboot? Knowing Hollyewood, yes. Expect them to try and rush a remake within five to seven years at best.

However to do it well, you will have to find a director who is just as willing as Peter Jackson to dedicate upwards of ten years of his life to this material. Middle-earth cant be a short one and done 90 minute movie .It has to be a big, sprawling, long epic, and the only way to do that is with lost of time. Even other directors, such as James Cameron (Titanic, Avatar) and Christopher Nolan ( The Dark Knight Trilogy) have a deep sense of admiration and respect for Peter Jackson for being able to be that focused to film three movies back to back like he did with LOTR.

True that. I was giving you a hard time. :)

That said, you think PJ would ever even attempt to make the Sil? I've heard it couldn't be done in film form. Is there even an audience for that material? I couldn't make it past page 2 when I tried to read it several years ago. I can't imagine the general movie-going audience being able to grasp it.

Fair enough ;)

I'm not sure. The Hobbit has a mas market appeal, and even I can admit compared to LOTR prior to the films is considerably more well known. The Hobbit is a required book for many Junior High and High School English courses. The Silmarillion from a narrative standpoint is a largely disjointed with a number of different stories, and not all of them connected. There's some great stories, like the Children of Hurin and The tale of Beren and Luthien, but the only essential story from Sil when it comes to understanding The Hobbit and LOTR, The Last Alliance and Isildur taking the Ring, was already told in LOTR. Now, a TV mini-series might work but that is about it.

Excited to see the trailer! I think it's going to be great. And the title change definitely has mass appeal.

I wish that Mr. Tolkien had completed the sequel -- yes, I said sequel! -- to "Lord of the Rings" that he began but then dropped. What he wrote is preserved in one of those collections. The story took place years after King Aragorn's death, when there was NOBODY LEFT (or almost nobody) who directly remembered the War of the Ring. Tolkien was setting up something like a political-suspense thriller, with some idiots thinking it would be a GOOD idea if (like Nikabrik trying to revive Jadis) they could bring Sauron back!

In the right hands, that could have been a good movie.

I wish that Mr. Tolkien had completed the sequel -- yes, I said sequel! -- to "Lord of the Rings" that he began but then dropped. What he wrote is preserved in one of those collections. The story took place years after King Aragorn's death, when there was NOBODY LEFT (or almost nobody) who directly remembered the War of the Ring. Tolkien was setting up something like a political-suspense thriller, with some idiots thinking it would be a GOOD idea if (like Nikabrik trying to revive Jadis) they could bring Sauron back!

Are you sure it was not Morgoth they wanted to bring back?

True that. I was giving you a hard time. :)

That said, you think PJ would ever even attempt to make the Sil? I've heard it couldn't be done in film form. Is there even an audience for that material? I couldn't make it past page 2 when I tried to read it several years ago. I can't imagine the general movie-going audience being able to grasp it.

The Tolkien Estate would not let anyone even touch it, they hate the LOTR movies enough.

Back