Aslan looks AWFUL!

judyfromkansas

First of all, I'd like to retract my previous statement regarding the actress that's playing Lucy. She is absolutely adorable in the trailer, and it's clear she's quite a good little actress. Her reactions when she opens the wardrobe are delightful, natural, convincing. HER performance is one I'm looking forward to. In fact all the children seem quite satisfactory. So no worries there.

But oh dear...now I must speak of Aslan. I realize that in Lewis' books, Aslan was "real" lion (albeit one that could talk). But he was more than an ordinary lion, even in appearance. Lewis described the "strokable gold" of Aslan's mane, and of his overwhelming eyes. Plus he was much bigger than an ordinary lion. Aslan was a lion transfigured into something magical - more than a lion king, he was a lion god.

But that scruffy thing with the yellow teeth in the trailer is NOTHING like Aslan! When he makes his appearance in the trailer, the reaction is "feh". There is nothing remotely awesome about him. I've seen zoo lions with more majesty!

Darn it, I'd hoped - I'd really hoped - that with Disney behind Narnia, a good film might be made. But it looks like Disney is tapping into what it sees as a potentially profitable audience (the one who saw "Lord of the Rings" and "The Passion of the Christ") and is not taking the Narnia concept seriously AS a concept - or as the DEFINITIVE film version of a children's classic. All it sees is dollar signs. Uncle Walt must be rolling over in his grave. No wonder Eisner got booed the other day at the opening celebrations of Disneyland's Fiftieth Birthday. He deserves it!

Bummer again! :(

well now i might ask you this, did you ever really see aslan in proportion to others? We see very little of him actualy in the trailer. So I would ask that you would still give it a shot and see what you make of him when you see more, this is a teaser you know. You might want to hold judgement when you see a bit more.

tg

Judy: DISNEY is NOT making the movie. Walden Media is. I don't know how many times I have to say that to get the point across.

Also, Aslan doesn't start out huge, over the course of the books he appears in many different sizes and even in different forms. Don't fret about it so early.

I'm glad you retracted your statement about Lucy, perhaps that is telling you something about not jumping to conclusions? Perhaps regarding the look of Aslan?

Wow, point 4 has nothing at all to do with this conversation.

Judy, you are over-reacting, AGAIN! You have seen all of about two seconds worth of Aslan in the teaser, so just relax and think of all the good things in life.

Someone else in a different thread said that their brother could make a better CG Aslan from his home computer. People, hear me: you may have had childish fantasies about what Aslan would look like, but this is not your movie. Your mental concept of Aslan cannot be put on film. You want more "overwhelming eyes" but if they did that, you'd complain that he doesn't look like a real lion. There's always something to complain about, so if your glass is 1/4 empty, drink the rest and get a refill.
________
Boss engine

Last edited:
I completely disagree. I think Aslan looks amazing, especially being so far away from the release date. Generally the VFX house will rush out some shots for the trailer, and then fine tune them before the release of the movie, which in this case is really exciting. I thought his movement was great, he felt like he had a lot of weight. The fur could use a little work, but thats all in rendering which I can gaurantee will be fine tuned. Also if this helps at all, I was at Rhythm and Hues for a studio tour not too long ago, and saw them working on a lot of Aslan shots, including the trailer shots. There were a bunch though that were not shown in the trailer, including Aslan talking with Peter on a hillside (no dialouge,) Aslan in front of the army that is shown bowing down in the trailer, and Aslan approaching the Stone Table being mocked and ridiculed by the witches minions. Let me assure you he looks incredible, and size wise he's pretty big, especially in the shot with Peter. We're still aways off, and the effects will only look better and better as we come closer and closer to the release date.

That's right

That's right. I think Aslan looked great in the trailer, and I believe he will look even better in the movie. I thought he looked like a real lion, and when we see him in relation to other people, I bet he will look like a real big lion.

Of course we all had a different picture in our imagination, but I think what we have seen so far is a pretty good match to my imaginings, as is the still shot of the lion they use a lot over at narnia.com

I'm just so happy to get away from the old animatronic lion used in the BBC version.

From what I saw in the trailer I thought Aslan looked splendid; and we really didn't get to see that much of him - I can't wait till they show some of the images of him close up interacting with the children. It will certainly be interesting to see how they do the emotions on his face.

I thought Aslan looked Great. On top of that - this is only the Teaser - effects are normally worked on after as well. I can think of a few movies - where the final SFX - are much better than the Original Teaser. Size wise - I didn't really see him next someone where I could judge how big he was.

You're so rude Euphrates............
Wow, I think it should have been point 5 in that thread.
Aww, schucks. It's so hard to get the correct tone-of-voice into these silly words and sentences we read! I was just messing around. Clearly it was supposed to be point 5. Just ignore me.

By the way, mad props to waterhogboy for spelling "you're" properly! It bugs me when peeple spelz rong. :D
________
magic flight launch box

Last edited:
Euphrates said:
There's always something to complain about, so if your glass is 1/4 empty, drink the rest and get a refill.
LOL! That is an awesome quote! I love it! boy, I'm going to start driving people crazy by using that one all the time. It's so ...deep. lol (excuse the pun)

Wow, I'm glad you're all so happy with that CGI lion. But I'd suggest keeping away from other movie site forums, such as Aint-It-Cool.com, which is famous for spoilers from film and television. The people there are raking the CGI over the coals. And THEY are the ones Disney/Walden is going to have to win over. You can bet Disney is counting on them as well as us to make this thing so successful that more Narnia films will follow.

So Disney ISN'T making this film? The company that made the dreadful "Around The World In 80 Days" and the tepid "Because of Winn-Dixie" are?

Boy, that explains a lot. :(

well its not really the people like harry at ain't it cool news dot com that they have to impress. They are just spoiler people. Believe me, there are so many people out there that will see this movie without even having been online. Look at movies like phantom of the opera and my big fat greek wedding. those two movies had the older audience showing up over and over because they liked what they heard and it was word of mouth not harry from ain't it cool news propping it. Believe me this movie will do great, all of the older people that have seen this trailer will most likely like what they see if they ever read the books when they were younger. My mother was beginning to read the lion the witch and the wardrobe today to my nephew who is four and he is absolutely enthralled in the story so far. So honestly the internet is not what makes the movies big its the commercials and the the tv spots that prop it.

tg

PS i've worded in video and even some graphics, and believe me that aslan lion is going to be awesome, anybody ever actually see the hulk after the horrendous trailers? yeah i did, he looked pretty darn good on the big screen when it was all done, though i would admit it wasn't great in every shot. So have a little faith and some optimism because the other half is not worth being a part of in life anyways.

judyfromkansas said:
Wow, I'm glad you're all so happy with that CGI lion. But I'd suggest keeping away from other movie site forums, such as Aint-It-Cool.com, which is famous for spoilers from film and television. The people there are raking the CGI over the coals. And THEY are the ones Disney/Walden is going to have to win over.

Dang... I had no idea there were sophisticated websites whose important opinions were somehow worth more than mine... I feel kinda ... dumb ... now ... for liking that lion ...

judyfromkansas said:
So Disney ISN'T making this film? The company that made the dreadful "Around The World In 80 Days" and the tepid "Because of Winn-Dixie" are?

Boy, that explains a lot. :(
I note that you did NOT mention "Aliens of the Deep," "Ghosts of the Abyss," or "Holes." The attitude of people on Aint-It-Cool-News' Talkbacks are ALWAYS geared toward the negative. We are not trying to be like that here. We're looking for the GOOD in the bad, more than the nitpicking attitudes seen there.

Last edited:
Specter said:
I note that you did NOT mention "Aliens of the Deep," "Ghosts of the Abyss," or "Holes." The attitude of people on Aint-It-Cool-News' Talkbacks are ALWAYS geared toward the negative. We are not trying to be like that here. We're looking for the GOOD in the bad, more than the nitpicking attitudes seen there.

I didn't mention those films because who cares? Were they blockbusters? As for "Holes", that film was based on a nonfantasy-oriented little novel - quite charming, yet not exactly containing the scope of the Narnia tales. Come on! I can't believe true Narnia fans are willing to just settle for just any old version of Lewis' stories! I'm not willing to settle for an Aslan that looks like he's been decorating someone's livingroom floor in his off time! Besides that, they've got the White Witch driving a team of - polar bears??? What IS that - product placement for Coca-Cola or something??? She drove white reindeer in the book, and why isn't that good enough? Are polar bears more macho, more appealing to the young adolescent crowd that's into Dungeons and Dragons - and posts at Aint it cool news? Oh, wait...maybe it makes sense after all... ;)

I for one think its funny when its one person here who thinks they know best and its all based on the trailer. One people bitched and moaned about some of the things in the LOTR films being different from the books. I for one didn't like some of the changes, but you know what, i still liked them on their own. They were different, but fun in their own rights. Then the extended versions came out and we got more of the stuff from the books, and i think those versions are better. The point is though that the book is always the number one version for anybody, you get to view things in your own mind in your own way. So if you don't like what you see, either don't see it, or wait until you see the full scope of things before you make judgement. So what if holes isn't a big blockbuster movie, some of the best movies out there aren't. I'm not sure how old you are yet, but seriously, you have been quite immature so far, but i'm guessing your a little bit older than most teens by the fact that you mention young adolescents.

Take it easy and remember what you have learned in life about the way you speak things will show what kind of person you are later.

tg

Back