Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."

Last edited:
Freckles, are you not young anymore?

I like that poem :)

I don't often think about age. It doesn't really seem to matter and can actually be misleading when correlated with maturity. Of course my post about the DLF now contradicts this statement if I used youth as an excuse for my inexplicable declaration of love for the DLF. I should go back, delete the post and deny I ever typed anything like it.

Mozart, "Time travel" could be the answer to any problem. It's cheating.

Everyone has such a problem with time travelers. Even J.K. Rowling and Doctor Who. Why shouldn't they be allowed to mess with people's personal timelines? All the stories make time traveling turn out badly because they don't want people to wish that they could fix their problems. It's all so narrowminded.

I don't think their goal was strictly didactic. You have to admit that if you stop and think about time travel for one minute, you run into all sorts of problems. Time is a difficult concept; traveling can be tricky - it's only natural time travel is a nightmare.

Regular travel can be a nightmare. Why make it worse? We should try to improve people's lives, not complicate them.

I'm saying J.K. Rowling shouldn't complicate people's lives by placing penalties on time travel. I'm also saying that bats have poor eyesight and should not be used as air traffic controllers any longer.

There are no penalties, there are only rules - as with everything. If there were no rules, there would be no stories! Genesis 3 knew this. Aristotle knew this. Every fairytale knows this. Tolkien was not careful enough about this, which is why people look at every struggle in the LotR and go, "but eagles!"

Tolkien actually had to deal with letters about this, and he basically said the same thing. Also they are eagles, not jets, and they can't carry people over half a continent. Yeah, Tolkien liked rules....

I, however, think that rules are the real problem. And also making sense. If novels didn't try to make sense, they would be more interesting. As it is, most of them only half make sense, which is worse. Either go all the way or none of the way. The middle ground is where most of the romance novels live, a land of nameless evil.

Back