Advent & Christmas

I know the traditional Advent candle colors are 3 violet and 1 rose. But I heard of others traditions that use blue instead of violet, and others that just use 4 red candles. Can someone expand on these other traditions?

Those that use all red candles are de-emphasizing the focus on different events during each week of Advent. As for other colour choices, well, I suppose that's a matter of denominational differences, or perhaps it's based on the philosophy of Ma King Du (pronounced "making do"). :D

Timmy, in the Southern Baptist circles, we use the violet and pink/rose. I'm trying to remember if, at home a long time ago, we used different colors because we had no other options...but I've always grown up with the knowledge that you use 3 violet and one pink/rose [at least, I'm fairly certain it's pink, though I keep thinking it may be white for some odd reason]. It may be different in other Baptist denominations. I don't even remember now what all the different colors mean. My parents were never big on doing Advent wreaths when I was younger.

ES, I think the use of red candles has to do with a German traditions. Here is a picture of Pope Benedict who is German with a red candle wreath.

pope-advent-wreath1-e1352831583667.jpg

I live in Germany and we always have four red candles. Of course, there are all kinds of wreaths with all kinds of candles of various colours, but the red ones are actually the traditional ones:/ I didn't know it was different in other places. *learnedsomethingnew*

I suggest that in the Christmas spirit of goodwill, we all start a bloody civil war between those who use all red candles and those who use pink and purple. Never mind that it was probably instigated by people who don't use Advent wreaths at all to eliminate the competition... :D

I'll be too busy working on EquipYouth training to participate much for the next month or so, but by all means if you feel my stripey spirit frowning down on you, feel free to consider yourself supernaturally banned. :p

I don't see why people should argue on that matter. Personally, I think those different colours are very interesting. I've never heard of/seen pink and purple candles. I only know either four red or four white candles in a traditional wreath, or all kinds of shapes and colours in modern, newly designed wreaths.

Timmy, in the Southern Baptist circles, we use the violet and pink/rose. I'm trying to remember if, at home a long time ago, we used different colors because we had no other options...but I've always grown up with the knowledge that you use 3 violet and one pink/rose [at least, I'm fairly certain it's pink, though I keep thinking it may be white for some odd reason]. It may be different in other Baptist denominations. I don't even remember now what all the different colors mean. My parents were never big on doing Advent wreaths when I was younger.

When I was an American Baptist we did advent at our church. We used the 3 violet and a rose. The meanings of the candles are:

Candle Symbolism
The candles are traditionally lit in the following order: purple, purple, pink, purple, white. The first is called the "Candle of Hope." It symbolizes faith in God keeping his promises to humanity. The second is called the "Candle of Preparation," reminding Christians to "get ready" to receive God. The third candle is the "Candle of Joy." It recalls the angels joyfully singing about the birth of Christ. The fourth candle, the "Candle of Love," reminds Christians that God loves them enough to send his only Son to Earth. The "Christ Candle," the white candle in the center, stands for Jesus Christ himself.

Why one is pink/rose is up to debate. It seems to be just a tradition to lighten up the colors. The Catholic priest will wear pink that Sunday (Gaudete Sunday).

Purple represents the royalty and majesty of Jesus Christ as King; King of Kings. Purple also represents prayer, pertinence, and preparation.

When I was an American Baptist we did advent at our church. We used the 3 violet and a rose. The meanings of the candles are:

Candle Symbolism
The candles are traditionally lit in the following order: purple, purple, pink, purple, white. The first is called the "Candle of Hope." It symbolizes faith in God keeping his promises to humanity. The second is called the "Candle of Preparation," reminding Christians to "get ready" to receive God. The third candle is the "Candle of Joy." It recalls the angels joyfully singing about the birth of Christ. The fourth candle, the "Candle of Love," reminds Christians that God loves them enough to send his only Son to Earth. The "Christ Candle," the white candle in the center, stands for Jesus Christ himself.

Why one is pink/rose is up to debate. It seems to be just a tradition to lighten up the colors. The Catholic priest will wear pink that Sunday (Gaudete Sunday).

Purple represents the royalty and majesty of Jesus Christ as King; King of Kings. Purple also represents prayer, pertinence, and preparation.

Okay, that's why I thought there was a white one in there somewhere. thanks for the reminder! My dad typically does a cartoon Advent wreath with the kids during his children's message, but everything's been so topsy turvy at our church lately that I don't think it's really even crossed his mind to do that this year. Decorations haven't even been put up yet! It's making it very difficult to be in the Christmas spirit, all the changes and construction going on.

I think next year I'll plan on getting myself an Advent wreath and candles. Too many times I find myself wrapped up in the things of Christmas rather than the real reason.

Light a candle
adventweek2.jpg

The second Advent Candle is THE BETHLEHEM CANDLE or THE CANDLE OF PREPARATION – God kept his promise of a Savior who would be born in Bethlehem. Preparation means to “get ready”. Help us to be ready to welcome YOU, O GOD! “As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: ‘A voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth. And all mankind will see God’s salvation.‘ (Luke 3:4-6)

Light the third candle.
adventweek3.jpg

3rd CANDLE – (pink) THE SHEPHERD CANDLE or THE CANDLE OF JOY – The angels sang a message of JOY! “…and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.’ Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.’ When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” (Luke 2:7-15)

One new worship exercise my family is participating in this year is Manger on the Mantle. It consists of a manger with the baby Jesus, plus 25 cards printed to look like presents that are placed in the manger with the Christ Child. Each day we pick a card, read a verse, and reflect on a different aspect of Jesus or are challenged to do something in the love of Christ. Today we were told to put Jesus and the manger near the stove and to make a treat for someone (we made pizzelles because a friend had a special waffle iron that could press and and bake them).
It's been fun moving the manger around and combining worship with thoughtful projects getting our hearts ready for Christmas.

Attachments

• MANGER-ON-THE-MANTEL-HANDOUT.jpg
    MANGER-ON-THE-MANTEL-HANDOUT.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 36
One new worship exercise my family is participating in this year is Manger on the Mantle. It consists of a manger with the baby Jesus, plus 25 cards printed to look like presents that are placed in the manger with the Christ Child. Each day we pick a card, read a verse, and reflect on a different aspect of Jesus or are challenged to do something in the love of Christ. Today we were told to put Jesus and the manger near the stove and to make a treat for someone (we made pizzelles because a friend had a special waffle iron that could press and and bake them).
It's been fun moving the manger around and combining worship with thoughtful projects getting our hearts ready for Christmas.

^This sounds like a much better idea than Elf on the Shelf.

A family we know has little Mary and Joseph figures that they place all around the house all through Advent. The challenge to their little guy (age 4) is to find them when he gets up in the morning, and then listen to Mom's explanation of where they are and what they're doing on their journey to Bethlehem. It's a great way of making the journey of faith come alive for their son!

comes in with a whole bunch of decorations

comes in with a whole bunch of decorations, holly, an Advent wreath with candles already lighted, 2 Saint Nickolas's figureines in a bishop's robe, a nativity scene, decorates TDL with all the decorations :) sorry i couldn't help it this thread was getting very dull :)

At the church to which Karoliina and I belong, several choir members including myself (who am currently their _only_ tenor) will be out of Colorado on Christmas Eve. The choir leader (a good lady whom I have tried to interest in joining TDL) tried in vain to find substitute singers. Thus, she decided to "move up" what _would_ have been the choir's Christmas Eve performance. This gave us _three_ songs to sing at church the day before yesterday..... with me suffering a _very_ bad cold. :(

It qualifies as a very small miracle that I _was_ able to sing on all three songs, _just_ barely well enough to hold up the tenor end adequately. Now, I can barely talk.

“…and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.’ Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.’ When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” (Luke 2:7-15)

Timmy,

As I'm reading this I happen to be listening to the John Michael Talbot CD The Birth of Jesus and it happens to be on #9, Glory to God, which is basically this passage from the Bible. How cool is that?!

Hey! Happy Advent to you. Timmy, thanks for all the explanations of the various candles. And thanks everyone for your Advent traditions, so sweet.

We were so jammed up this fall, right until the end of the first week of December, that nothing CHristmasy or Adventy even got done at our house until last weekend ... but I have been doing my lectio divina on a couple of YouVersion Advent reading plans ... and that has been lovely. I will bore you with some of the details later.

Happy Advent! :)

(BTW, please see my post in the Gone, Away & Returned Thread for my apologies about having been absent so long!)

Back