Olympics

BarbarianKing

Knight of Narnia
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Well, I tried watching some of the Olympics but all they have right now is boring sports for like 2 minutes with a zillion of commercials in between. Seriously, I just sat for about 4 hours trying to find something exciting to watch but it's just not happening. I think I watched more of the winter Olympics two years ago than anything else. Probably because winter sports are generally more exciting since they are more dangerous. Plus, NBC completely botched it by not broadcasting or even streaming the opening ceremonies live in the US.

So, with all due respect to my Brit friends on this forum, I think I'll skip them this year. Actually, didn't watch them four years ago either so I don't think I'm missing anything.

Anyway, there's a Doctor Who marathon on BBC America right now so I'm switching to that for the rest of the day.

What about you? Are you going to watch?

Yes I am! I saw the ceremony last night and as my status stated on FB "To me, the Olympic ceremony wasn't as rehearsed or technical as in Beijing, but at the same time I really liked the relaxed feel to it, and I think they really captured 'London.' " I enjoyed it. It really made me want to visit London!

I'm sick, so I've been on the couch all day watching The Olympics. I haven't had problems with them playing too many commercials, but the bike race this morning wasn't the most exciting thing I've seen. The swimming was entertaining, and I'm loving the volleyball that's on now!

I'm enjoying the Olympics, always have, and I will continue to watch this year :D

I watched some of the Opening Ceremony last night, mainly the lighting of the cauldron from the torch, and, prior to that, the Parade of Nations. The Parade of Nations is always neat, because I like to see all the different outfits and refresh on my world geography. The lighting of the cauldron always feels momentous.

I normally try to watch the gymnastics events at least. Those are always good shows.

I've been watching it online, mainly gynastics and tennis. I also caught some of the basketball last night. The BBC is showing just about everything online as well as on terrestrial and satellite tv.

I quite liked the opening ceremony but I think they started the history too late. They concentrated on recent social history but as someone whose parents were both Scottish (although I was born in England) I'd have liked more references to Britain's Celtic heritage, both Christian and Pagan

I have been watching them to. I liked the opening cereomonies. They were pretty sweet! I have also been mainling been watching all the swimming events. My mom says that Phelps is distracted. And i have to agree. Ryan lochet is as good as every one was saying. Got a gold medal already! I have also watched some Gymnastics to. I have been wanting to watch diveing but i have seen that it i

I haven't seen any of it ... we were traveling all day Saturday and busy all day Sunday, and I guess I just haven't made it a priority. I heard NBC was doing time-delay to put stuff people wanted to watch on (on tape) in prime-time? That seems like a good idea for anyone without Tivo or DVR, but with so much access online, it seems you would probably already know the winners.

My mum used to like to watch the Olympics on TV, and I was thinking about her, missing them this year ... When I lived at home we used to watch together and knew the names of the U.S. athletes in the sports we liked ... I think maybe she liked the winter Olympics best though.

The gymnastics has been fantastic! Just seen the UK's mens team win bronze. It was originally silver but then Japan appealed their last competitor had been unfairly marked down. Disappointing but all national prejudice aside I have to say the decision was fair.

Looking forward to the women's team event tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's fun to watch! I love watching swimming. Do you know how exhausting the butterfly stroke is??? Try to do and if you're out of shape you'll start drowning after about 8 strokes! I never mastered that in High School swimming! I was best at the breast stroke. But man the olympians are like machines flying across the water!

Gymnastics is great to watch too. What strength that requires!

And synchronized diving is pretty cool too!

What about the head of the Games saying that Michael Phelps isn't the "greatest Olympian" just because he has the most medals? He has a point because swimmers can compete in a lot of different events, so if they're really good, they can rack up a lot of medals at one Olympics. But if you're, say, a beach volleyball player, there aren't a lot of different events you can compete in.

Actually, there are several different channels that are the Olympics, all of them branches under NBC. On each of those channels they air different events. And, if you want to watch them live online, there's a website:

http://www.nbcolympics.com

There also an app for the iPhone. I think it's called "Live Extra".

I absolutely love the Olympics! I never, ever watch TV except for once every two years when they come on. :) The winter games are my personal favorite, but I love the summer ones as well. I have been enjoying them immensely!

First of all, it's in London. ^.^ I love the scenery and the accents and whatever bits of culture we see. I was really excited several years ago when they announced that 2012's games would be in London, and am not at all disappointed!

I really enjoyed the opening ceremony as well, though I was disappointed that there were no C.S. Lewis references during the part celebrating British children's literature. Overall, it was very exciting. I loved the part with the forging of the rings, even though discussion of forging rings made the LotR prologue go through my head. xP That amused me.

My favorite summer sport is gymnastics, and I absolutely loved watching the girls compete last night. It was exciting to watch them win that gold medal, and the routines were splendid!

Swimming is also great, and I thought it was neat how Michael Phelp's achieved the nineteenth medal of his career. That's really special how he passed that record, even though I consider it too subjective to say that he is the greatest Olympian of all time. Though I was sorry that he did not place in his first final, that did set him up such to win his nineteenth medal in the relay. I thought that was pretty cool, because it meant his record breaking medal was gold, and because it's awfully special for the other guys on the team to have been a part of that record-breaking swim. :)

yes been watching on T.V. & online

i like the olympics liked the swimming & the gymnastics & diveing & rymthic gymnastics i've been watching it on T.V. & online as well, i liked the opening ceramonies, can't wait to watch more toinight

One thing that has bothered me is all of the controversy over athlete's clothing. I can understand both sides of the debate to a certain extent, because I see the athletic advantage in some sports yet also the need for more coverage in others.

If I saw someone at the grocery store dressed skimpily, I'd be more critical of them than a gymnast in a leotard, for sometimes an athlete has a genuine athletic advantage not to have as much clothing on. But this is not true across the board. It is ridiculous for people to argue that women in the beach volleyball games need to wear bikinis. The men wear shorts and jerseys! If there was a real athletic advantage, don't you think that the men would have on less clothing too? xD

I absolutely love the Olympics! I never, ever watch TV except for once every two years when they come on. :) The winter games are my personal favorite, but I love the summer ones as well. I have been enjoying them immensely!

First of all, it's in London. ^.^ I love the scenery and the accents and whatever bits of culture we see. I was really excited several years ago when they announced that 2012's games would be in London, and am not at all disappointed!

I really enjoyed the opening ceremony as well, though I was disappointed that there were no C.S. Lewis references during the part celebrating British children's literature. Overall, it was very exciting. I loved the part with the forging of the rings, even though discussion of forging rings made the LotR prologue go through my head. xP That amused me.

My favorite summer sport is gymnastics, and I absolutely loved watching the girls compete last night. It was exciting to watch them win that gold medal, and the routines were splendid!

Swimming is also great, and I thought it was neat how Michael Phelp's achieved the nineteenth medal of his career. That's really special how he passed that record, even though I consider it too subjective to say that he is the greatest Olympian of all time. Though I was sorry that he did not place in his first final, that did set him up such to win his nineteenth medal in the relay. I thought that was pretty cool, because it meant his record breaking medal was gold, and because it's awfully special for the other guys on the team to have been a part of that record-breaking swim. :)

I was ever so excited to see works of British Literature represented there. It was ever such a surprise!

One thing that has bothered me is all of the controversy over athlete's clothing. I can understand both sides of the debate to a certain extent, because I see the athletic advantage in some sports yet also the need for more coverage in others.

If I saw someone at the grocery store dressed skimpily, I'd be more critical of them than a gymnast in a leotard, for sometimes an athlete has a genuine athletic advantage not to have as much clothing on. But this is not true across the board. It is ridiculous for people to argue that women in the beach volleyball games need to wear bikinis. The men wear shorts and jerseys! If there was a real athletic advantage, don't you think that the men would have on less clothing too? xD

I only caught the beach volleyball briefly as I don't really care much for it, but | don't think the women were wearing bikinis.

Sportswear for both men and women is often dictated as much by fashion as practicality. Look at the baggy shorts it's now common to see tennis players wearing. There's actually a very sexist assumption that what men wear is always dictated by practicality while women are slaves to fashion and want to 'flaunt themselves.' But sometimes the reverse is true

Actually. having seen a bit of women's beach volleyball I see I got it wrong; they are wearing bikinis, although not especially skimpy ones.

It could be worse though. In the ancient games athletes competed naked!

Ok, so I've watched some Olympics, but very minimum, mainly just parts of soccer matches, which is probably the only thing that was interesting... until I realized that the teams aren't composed of the best players but only "Olympic" players, which sucks, really.

woah. long sentence there, lol. I hate the summer Olympics. They don't even have the best soccer players. :rolleyes:

Back