Votes: 24 66.7%
  • It was OK.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • It wasn't good at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HATED it!

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Any one here read the new Play Script? How many are excited about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them?

I'm in the middle of it AND HONESTLY I LOVE IT. I wasn't expecting that.

Yes, it's a little like crackfic, but it's seriously enjoyable just because of the characters, even though the plot is a little silly. But come on, it's a play. It's meant to be fun.

And I'm super excited about the movie too. I've been interested in Newt Scamander ever since I picked up my own copy of Fantastic Beasts.

I skimmed it while I was at the Last Bookstore but didn't like it enough to buy it (not into teen angst and extreme plot makeovers). But I think I will see the Beasts when the film comes out.

I loved Scopius' character arc. apart from that, it was a little like reading book four for me. Though Jo Rowling collaborated, it definitely was not quite her style of writing. I am so excited for Fantastic Beasts.

I've actually never read HP. I was too busy reading Narnia as a kid lol. Thinking about going through them though. I'm guessing people here would recommend them?

Definitely. I never read HP when I was a kid, either--I read them a year or so ago for the first time--but they were still very enjoyable. I know several other people who have had the same experience.

Still waiting on Cursed Child from the library at present....

Three times? That's a pretty solid endorsement!

well, do recall that I saw the third Hobbit movie ten times in theaters and accidentally saw Captain America: Civil War five times during opening weekend, it just kind of happens... XD

I agree. THat's a pretty cool achievement.

I am thinking about getting the original book of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

The original book is a lot of fun. It literally is a mini version of the textbook Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them that Harry and Co. would have had at school. No plot, just an encyclopedia, but it has some fun notes from Ron and Harry in the margins.

You can also get the screenplay of the movie, I don't think it expands much farther than the movie but you can read JK's original descriptions and so on.

spoiler alert -- Stop here if you haven't seen Fantastic Beasts

spoiler alert -- Stop here if you haven't seen Fantastic Beasts

Gondorgirl or anyone who has an opinion --

I saw the movie and liked it, but had some questions. Maybe you can help clarify things for me... I guess this film was so rich and expansive, I didn't clearly note some of the key plot details.

1. What was that blue bottle stuff that Newt used in the climax? He mentioned it earlier but I didn't note what he said.

2. What was the real reason Newt came to America versus what were some of the reasons he told others?

3. What was the gift in the suitcase for collateral?

4. That kleptomaniac creature that Newt was chasing escaped again, didn't it (behind a painting or something?)? Did it ever get re-caught? or is it still on the loose in NYC?

I have answers for number 1 and 4. 1: it was venom from the swooping evil that oblivieated (don't know how to spell that.) people. 4: the creature was caught. (By the way it's called a niffler.) I saw the movie for the third time last night.:D

Second question:

If I remember correctly the true reason Newt was in America was to release the Thunderbird back in it's native habitat (Arizona area, I believe?). It had been in Egypt as a result of a kind of "exotic pet/creature" type of trafficking, which is where he saved it from.

I saw the movie well over a month ago - would love to see it again! - but just a disclaimer, I may not remember it fully. :p

I really enjoyed it though. It was fun to go into a HP type movie with no prior knowledge of what was going to happen. Was a bit surprised that the creatures didn't play as big a role as expected, and really loved learning about the Obscurious (sp?). I can see how they have room to develop it out into five movies! It will be interesting to see what develops on the Grindewald storyline too. Supposedly we'll get to see a young Dumbledore eventually (since he was the one who defeats Grindewald) and I'm super excited for that!

Last edited:
Well Benisse, the other two users have correctly answered questions 1, 2 and 4. I'd love to answer 3 for you, I've seen the movie three times, as discussed, and we own the screenplay. But I don't quite know what you're asking in your third question.

The collateral if I remember were dragonshells, and the reason they were accepted was because of something said earlier (though I can't remember what EXACTLY but it was along the lines of "muggles believe this to be extremely valuable.")

Back