C.S. Lewis Daily through BibleGateway

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
For those of you who don't mind receiving e-mail ads from BibleGateway and its partners, you can subscribe to daily e-mails of excerpts from the writings of C.S. Lewis.
f10yiv4.jpg

I have just subscribed --although not on my personal e-mail account-- and will copy or discuss highlights here periodically.

Or if others on this forum sign up, we can have conversations about the quotes or texts that you find stimulating or moving.

CSL On Seeking, on Mere Christianity, & on Denominations

Well I just got to go through my first week of daily excerpts from the writings (including the letters) of CSL. Here is my favorite for this week, an excerpt from Mere Christianity. Feel free to comment on it, and then I will pick one of the readings from next week to spark a new discussion.

------------------------------------
Today's Reading
I hope no reader will suppose that ‘mere’ Christianity is here put for- ward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions. . . . . It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable. It is true that some people may find they have to wait in the hall for a considerable time, while others feel certain almost at once which door they must knock at. I do not know why there is this difference, but I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait. When you do get into your room you will find that the long wait has done you some kind of good which you would not have had otherwise. But you must regard it as waiting, not as camping. You must keep on praying for light: and, of course, even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house. And above all you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and panelling. In plain language, the question should never be: ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?’

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.

nkJmORN.jpg

From Mere Christianity
Compiled in A Year with C.S. Lewis

Mere Christianity. Copyright © 1952, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. Copyright renewed © 1980, C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers. A Year With C.S. Lewis: Daily Readings from His Classic Works. Copyright © 2003 by C. S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers. Cited in BibleGateway.com, November 8, 2016

Back