Howl's Moving Castle

Lady of Narnia

Hello everybody!
I've just started reading Howl's Moving Castle about two days ago, and I'm almost finished with it. Anyways, I love it, but no one else I know has read it, and I am dying to talk to somebody about it.
If you've read the book and would like to share your thoughts on it, I'd love to hear them!
:)

I haven't read the book, but I've seen Studio Ghibli's wonderful adaptation of it. I'll have to look it up!

The book is really good! It's worth the read. I'm glad to hear that the movie is good, too. I'm planning on watching it when I'm done with the book.

I didn't know there was a book about it. I've only watched the movie as well. I might have to get my hands on that book.

Hmm--I haven't read it, but the summary looks interesting. Kind of quirky-funny. (As opposed to ha-ha funny, if that makes sense....)

Hmm--I haven't read it, but the summary looks interesting. Kind of quirky-funny. (As opposed to ha-ha funny, if that makes sense....)

It definitely is that quirky humor type. It gives a very interesting take on fairy tales, too. Just a bit of warning though, once you start reading it, it's very hard to put it down again!
Although that's not such a bad thing.. :)

Yep! If I remember correctly the sequel is called Castle in the Air!

Hmm... I felt the film and the book were pretty different. Although I like both, I'd say I probably prefer the book (but that's normal..). I think in some ways it's almost best to take them as two different stories? There are a lot of big plot changes in the movie, so you'd be better off watching it without expectations from the book.

Last edited:
I had not known that it was ever a book; I had only heard of it as anime.

It is a wonderful book. I would definitely recommend that you read it!

Well, I have now seen the movie, and I agree that it was very different from the book, but I felt like it keep with the spirit of the book very well. It was very beautiful visually, also.
Since I gave up a long time ago trying to hold books and movies up to the same candle (seeing as they are both quite different forms of media), I can honestly say that I enjoyed both very much, though in different ways.
Either way, it's a very charming story!

I'm glad you liked the movie! That was pretty much how I felt about it.
Both Hayao Miyazaki and Diana Wynne Jones are great artists. I really love both of their works.

My favourite part of the movie is Calcifer in general! I love his character and the way he was portrayed in the film!

Back