C.S. Lewis Quote Calendar 2011

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Call for collaborators for a C.S. Lewis Quote Calendar 2011

This is not a contest, but is limited to 13 creative volunteers who would like to work together to design a C.S. Lewis Quote Calendar for 2011. (One design will be for the cover.)

What to do:

1. Pick a quotation from our C.S. Lewis Quote thread
<http://narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19273&highlight=quotes+Lewis>
or pick your own favorite quote from one of his works.

2. Post a brief description regarding your quote selection, ideas for how you would illustrate it, and what month you'd like it to used for. This step is important so we won't have duplication of quotations.

Note: Please use original art and photos rather than googleimages or another's work. And of course the quote you are illustrating needs to appear in your design somewhere.

Here are the months that are available:
__x_ Cover, Benisse
__x_ January, amdd97 "I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."
__x_ February, Mrs Gil-Galad Took, To love at all is to be vulnerable.
__x_ March, mr fox + Benisse, All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story...
__x_ April, Miss Reepicheep, Your place in heaven will seem to be made for you and you alone, because you were made for it -- made for it stitch by stitch as a glove is made for a hand.
__x_ May, Lucy the Valient, Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.
__x_ June, Benisse, 'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan. 'And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth.'
__x_ July, artwork by Annemarie, quote from BK, The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.
__x_ August, Zella, The best is perhaps what we understand least.
__x_ September, Gondorgirl, Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'
__x_ October, BarbarianKing, I rather be killed fighting for Narnia than grow old and stupid at home.
__x_ November, Annemarie, Keep your eyes open
__x_ December, Miss Reepicheep, No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally and often far more worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.

3. Then post your design to this thread (preferably before your month is over!), incorporating a calendar image of your month, using landscape orientation 280 pixels tall and 600 pixels wide. Note: I have a set of month images in jpeg on my profile page that you can copy as needed.

I will update links for each month to this first post as they are submitted, so check back often :)
Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
This sounds fun...but theres something wrong I can't do it because I'm very busy...sorry.:(

But I'll support the others though! :)

Narnia56
Oh sorry you won't be able to participate this year but there will be plenty more projects and contests coming up and hopefully you'll be able to join in when you have time. But in any case, once the calendar art is done, you are free to download it and print out your very own Narniafans 2011 calendar or planner, to enjoy all year long :)

Annemarie,
I'm so glad you are going to join the project! Just let us know what quote and your general idea for your design before you actually work on it too far so no one else will duplicate your quote. You just made my day!

I can try and do something, but I'm not sure if I will be able to....it depends on how my schedule goes, and if I have the time.

Sounds great -- what quote and month would you like?

ill do either january,june or november/December (which ever isnt taken)

as for quotes i need to read through the thread and pick one....

Edit - can you fix the link? i cant seem to access it.

thanks

mr fox

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Fox,
try this link to the C.S. Lewis quote thread :)
Have fun picking a quote to illustrate.
March would be great for a 3D Lion, since it "comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb," so I can put you down for that month if you like.

Hi Mr. Fox,
try this link to the C.S. Lewis quote thread :)
Have fun picking a quote to illustrate.
March would be great for a 3D Lion, since it "comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb," so I can put you down for that month if you like.

Sure! ill do march!

now to find a good pic of a aslan type lion to model.....if anyone can find one (a big picture as its easier to work with) that would be good thanks.

as for quotes ive looked a all of them and easist for me to do is either this:

Good people know about both good and evil: bad people do not know about either"

or

"'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan. 'And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth.'"

if you any other which would go great with march then tell me!

Last edited:
Theoretically we could have several entries for each month, and everyone can pick which one they like best for their own calendar, right? I am thinking of December, but I have to make sure I can do the graphics I want -- I made a Narnia Christmas gift for my siblings one year, and if I can find my graphics I will re-use them. But anyone else who wants December should feel free.

Thanks for doing this Benisse! Looks like fun.

Mr. Fox,
oh I like both of your quotes! When you decide which of the two you end up using, just let me know.
I'll put you down for March :)

Inky,
December would be great -- Have you thought about which quote to use? You might enjoy considering something from Lewis' essay on Exmas and Christmas in Niatirb: A Lost Chapter from Herodotus[click on the title to be linked to the essay] -- And of course Niatirb is Britain, backwards.
And if you Do do December, then you will be freed up to help judge the next contest coming u in November, the Great Christmas Card Competition (which I'll be announcing in the next week or so) ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking of Lucy's quote about a stable in her world once containing something bigger than the whole world, but I will check out the essay, sounds clever!

that will be great but im stuck on chosing,im leaning more toward the second one....

finding a big pic of aslan is quite diffcult as i need one to start my model...

if anyone has one then that would be great!

I was thinking of Lucy's quote about a stable in her world once containing something bigger than the whole world, but I will check out the essay, sounds clever!

The stable quote would be perfect! But let me know if you find anything you like in the Niatirb essay.

Wow! This sounds awesome; I will definitely want a copy of this calendar! However, me being utterly non-talented in anything art-related, I'll stay away from actually helping just for the safety of all involved. :D

This is a wonderful idea! I can't wait to see all the months, and it'd be so fun to use this next year. :D

Will there be a standard size, so we don't get all differently sized pages for the various months?

I have a quote, and it is very nice.

"I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

Back