Character attributes

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
In your own stories, how do you make your characters different from the other ones. How are their personalities, and how do they dress regularly? What are their habits of speech and what not. I feel this is very important for any writer to accomplish with each character to make them their own person. I'm working on this for my characters right now, but all of them stem off of my own self. I guess i'm quite rounded, lol. Anyways, i've done some things with certain characters and i just love making them specifically a certain type of person and how they are percieved by others.

tg

I'm very sloppy with my writing generally, I just start and ramble on for ages and then realise that the characters are just sort of dropped in and so need to be built up. I try very hard to form a mini-biography of them first but they tend to change as the story goes along. All my characters are based loosely on people I know, as they who know about writing tend to say, write about what you know.
I think it's important to have obvious differences between your characters, otherwise they tend to blend into a mush of voices. Turns of speech, accents which can written phoenetically, and the general oddities of language which you'll see in every conversation you have. Dress can play a big part in the character formation especially if it's to do with uniform or social grouping.
i like to blow out of proportion all the little traits I see in my friends and in myself, because without actually seeing the person in a picture you need the words to paint the picture for you so they need to be very obvious and definitive.
It's great fun!

I think so too, i was quite rewarded today when i went to my friends place and showed him my latest chapters of my book, and he said its the best he's seen me write so far and loved them. So I'm truly just excited and its one of those feelings where I'm just excited about what i'm doing and i don't want to go to church tonight and just work on the next chapter, lol.

At least your being productive, I'm sure the Big Man will understand! I've not written anything on 'the masterwork' for weeks!

Yeah, well, I have one 'major' work which I started for NANOWRIMO last year and didn't finish but thought I should carry it on. I also write short stories when I get inspired, I think they're better because they're quite condensed, which is good for me because I tend to ramble horribley otherwise!

well for my chrachters I create them in three different ways
1 I often make the main charchter a spinoff myself ;)
2 Or he is.....the.....prototype person (in my mind thats not nessicerily(sp) perfect as in does nothing wrong just how I wish I was :cool: )
3and all the other are on the other side of the spectrum,opposites.

I try to make my character's personalities(sp?) reflect their part in the book. But what i really pride in myself are the names. I try to make the names reflect their personalities. I usually do this by giving them a name that means what their personality is. For example, if a character was going to die, I would name them Tod, because if you translated that from german, it would mean death...

Back