The Titanic's 100-year-anniversary

At 11:40 p.m tonight (about 50 minutes here in Oregon) the 100th anniversary of the Titanic hitting the iceberg will begin and it will end sometime before I wake up in the morning.

Sorry, did that sound too ominous? I'm just really thrilled I get to be alive during such an incredible (and sad) centennial anniversary! I find the Titanic so interesting.

Anyway, this thread is to share your thoughts about the Titanic (the ship, NOT the movie.) Here, I'll share mine:

Last year, I travelled through Vegas with my grandparents, three of my five cousins, and my brother, Robby. We went inside this pyramid-building (I forget the name) and inside there was the Titanic Exhibition. It was the most thrilling and interesting thing ever! (Besides the Narnia Exhibition, of course.) I got to see a HUGE side of the ship and was even given a person that was actually ON the Titanic, Charlotte Annie Collyer (nee Tate.) At the end, we got to see if we survived or not--I did! Same with my "daughter" Marjorie. My cousin Margaret's person's room was near the side of the ship that we saw, if that makes any sense.

Here's a picture of the wall:
http://www.luxor.com/images/attractions/attractions_titanic_gallery6.jpg

Share your Titanic stories here, whether it be first learning about the Titanic, having a relative on the Titanic, or something Titanicy.

Happy 100th Anniversary, RMS Titanic!

There was an exhibit like that in my city! Probably the same one, it had shared a building with one of the downtown movie theaters in San Francisco. It was only for a limited time.?
A piece of the ship's hull was there, and my family was given names of people from the Titanic, too. I had the name of a first class lady, while the rest of my family were given the names of second and third class citizens. I was the only one who survived..

This was in 2006. It was definitely interesting.

I know it's a little off-topic, but I wouldn't really say Happy Anniversary to the Titanic... It was a tragedy, after all...

Other than that, the I watched a show on the Titanic the other day. It was the first time I've watched anything on the topic since the movie came out and I had nightmares for several days straight (I still would be hesitant to get on a boat.) and I have to say, I am amazed by how much still lingers and how much it can still affect people.

I actually teared up once or twice while watching for various reasons. I cannot imagine having to hear about the tragedy first hand, much less be on the ship at the time.

I've been intrigued by a little minute detail that occurred during the rescue efforts while Titanic was sinking. When lifeboat number 13 was lowered into the sea, it was nearly hit by water coming from pumps aboard ship. In order to get out of the way of the water, the lifeboat either drifted or was rowed directly underneath lifeboat number 15, which was in the process of being lowered. Lifeboat 15 was halted just feet above Lifeboat 13, and had to wait for 13 to get out of the way before being lowered the rest of the way.

It seems like a little parallel to a scripture in Mark 5, when Jairus seeks out the Savior to heal his dying daughter. On their way to Jairus' house, the rescue mission was interrupted in order to perform another rescue mission, that of a woman with an issue of blood who touched the hem of Jesus' garment. As with the two lifeboats, both rescue efforts were successful, but faith was certainly tested for Jairus... and maybe for those aboard lifeboat 15 as well.

Sometimes in the efforts to aid or rescue those who might be in need one rescue effort may actually delay or interrupt another. I find that interesting.

I am personally grateful for the hundreds of noble stories of heroism and rescue that happened that night during the sinking of Titanic. What a tragic loss, but so many of those who died tried valiantly to save as many others as they could, and I believe in remembering those noble efforts that night.

Back