Official Narniafancast News

I know. It's like the stars are aligned or something ;)

I've listened to one of the casts. Gonna go grab another one today or tomorrow and see how it sounds.

(EDIT:)

And either way, I do have experience with podcasts and podcasting, and I know it's important to keep momentum of a podcast moving. Anything I can do to help, I'd love to do. I'm more a fan of the NPR / BBC style, so there is some extensive post-production when I work on casts, but from what I've heard, the NFC is very similar in styles.

Just keep the momentum :)

Last edited:
Quality improved from the beginning, but went way down toward the end as we were unable to get weekly guests.

It is really only fair to listen to a few examples from what makes up the "golden age" of our podcasting.

We want to bring back the good old days not the bad old days. And then make it even better. We can and we will.

I just need to fully recover my strength from my recent illness.

John

Sounds like a plan :) So what would you say are the "Golden Days?" so that I may listen to them. I'm a stickler on audio quality, and I tend to have a decent bed under my audio as well, but I still haven't perfected my quality.

Which few podcasts would you want me to hear to get a good feel for the format?

Sounds like a plan :) So what would you say are the "Golden Days?" so that I may listen to them. I'm a stickler on audio quality, and I tend to have a decent bed under my audio as well, but I still haven't perfected my quality.

Which few podcasts would you want me to hear to get a good feel for the format?

Hi--I would say look for the ones where John says the others are out and so he is doing more of the stories himself. Then you get to hear how he narrates. Also the ones where he is chatting with Roger Thomas. You can feel the rapport between them and Roger has equally good insights.
I enjoyed all of them so very much! So much, in fact, that I fell in love with the author, and, thank God, vice versa
If you go the EWS's website, www.royalmagi.org you can find his stories in e-book form.

Hi--I would say look for the ones where John says the others are out and so he is doing more of the stories himself. Then you get to hear how he narrates. Also the ones where he is chatting with Roger Thomas. You can feel the rapport between them and Roger has equally good insights.
I enjoyed all of them so very much! So much, in fact, that I fell in love with the author, and, thank God, vice versa
If you go the EWS's website, www.royalmagi.org you can find his stories in e-book form.

Oh, John and I go WAY back. I know precisely how he narrates, (and writes, and edits) and have read most of his stuff. But thanks, that gives me a good point of reference to look for older episodes.

Hey John,

If I am a panelist, would we want to do this at your place? I've got a good mic setup, but my mixer is only a single XLR mixer. It does have other audio inputs, but just one for XLR.

I've got a Shure mic somewhere, as well as my PodcastStudio mic, and a few others floating around. I can record to my laptop or a DAT recorder. So do you want to set a date when we can do the initial taping, and where we can discuss what's going to be on the show?

Also, just from a technical standpoint, how do you edit down the recording? You do believe in internal edits, right? I get to sound good, right? :)

I start the podcast with the words (edited out) "One, Two, Three, CLICK!"

Everyone hits the record button at that moment. Each records the track locally using their microphone input rather than the sound travelling across the Skype connection. We hear one another better on the podcast than we do when we're talking live.

The files are sent to me using some sort of file transfer, usually yousendit.com. They are sent in MP3 so the size of the WAV doesn't make it impractical.

I clean up the tracks, removing background noises from the long silent pauses (everyone's track has only their voice so there are a lot of them) and apply whatever equalization and filtering is required. Not everyone has killer equipment like ours, Jarrod. ;x) I do mono, not stereo.

I then get things synched and balanced and add a little reverb. The result is released as a stereo MP3 with the effect of a "virtual studio" where it sounds like we are sitting in chairs close together but still stereo spread.

Sweet. What software do you use to do the editing?

(And out of curiousity, what mic/mixer/etc setup are you running on? :)

Magix Samplitude (Music Studio 14) with a large Audio-Technica side addressable condenser mike and a really killer Asus Xonar sound card with stereo microphone capacity. I get my 48 volt phantom power and pre-amping from an Audio Buddy.

I always laugh at the concept of "Phantom" power. Where's that power coming from? Dunno, it's like a ghost. No, a phantom! Ey! It comes from th' lil box there.

This is probably a stupid question but could I still be in the podcast if I only have Skype for voice chatting on the podcast?:confused:

You have to have some way of recording the sound that can get me your voice in mp3

My computer at home has a built-in microphone(Macs rule! ) that works pretty well. I just don't have a headset or SKYPE on my computer yet! I have always wanted to be on a podcast!

Back