With Swords, Claws, and Teeth Bared

Preparations are made for both parties to leave at sunset the following night. Meanwhile, Narticia approaches Zamron and suggests an expedition to Jadis's castle to recover anything which might be useful to their cause. Zamron, not wishing any such items to fall into the wrong hands, agrees to the proposal and calls for volunteers to join the quest.

"I'll go," says Hackroot the wart hog. "I don't have hands to pick things up, but others can load items on my back if we turn up anything."

"Thank you, Hackroot," says Zamron. "You are a credit to Narnia!" Several dwarves also volunteer, including Ginnarbrik. The rat, Vermwood also offers to go, as he is the best scout in the whole of Narnia. When morning comes those participating in the various expeditions are permitted to sleep for most of the new day, as they will be travelling by night.

Elsewhere, as dawn opens a new day, Bronon and Wideglide are both sleeping, having enjoyed an undisturbed night, whilst at Sgt Zimcar's camp the Archenlanders and party of Narnians including the elephants have enjoyed a similar good night's sleep, apart from those on watch.

Last edited:
With the sunrise come reinforcements for the side of good. An Archenlandish knight, Sir Lamorak, arrives leading twenty horse archers, including the man Zimcar had sent to the Archenlandish camp to report. Also with them is a swift-footed female Talking Deer named Fernspot. Lamorak tells the sergeant to return to the main camp with the two men who had stayed with him. Zimcar, however, pleads to be allowed to search for Bronon instead; then he waits to see if Corin provides Lamorak's reply.

At Beaversdam, Hackroot says to Ginarrbrik, "Let's make sure to bring some rope or cord, if the traitor Beavers left any hereabouts. If there is a small cart to be had anyplace, it might be possible to rig lines from it to my tusks, if no better way of hitching up exists."

"I have some rope!" says Ginarrbrik, "and there may well be some carts at our destination which we can use."

Meanwhile, Sir Lamorak asks Sergeant Zimcar, "Why bother about Bronon? He's the laziest, most useless, surliest and uncooperative apology for a soldier I have ever encountered! You yourself are always having to shout at him before he as much as lifts a finger! Why not leave him to his fate, instead of risking the lives of valuable men?"

"Sir, I would not take any _reckless_ risks, but in conscience I must make _some_ attempt to find and salvage Bronon. Look at our Narnian-creature friends here; they held on to hope while Aslan was absent. Surely we ought not to be pessimistic now that Aslan has returned!"

"Very well, Sergeant," replies Sir Lamorak. "I leave the decision to you. However, I can only allow five men to join you in your quest and, you must also understand that, if you should encounter any trouble, you are on your own: we will not be able to help you. That is not because I don't wish to do so, far from it, but I fear that although the White Witch herself is dead, there are those who followed her still bent on causing as much mischief and mayhem as they can! I dare not weaken our forces for the sake of Bronon."

Meanwhile, the object of their discussion begins to wake up, considerably later than his former comrades or, indeed, Wideglide. He gives a big yawn, and, once he realises where he is, says to himself, "I wonder what's for breakfast? I'd like nothing more than a large plateful of bacon and eggs!"

Last edited:
Suddenly, a blood-smeared dead rabbit is literally dropped into Bronon's lap. "I made very sure that it wasn't a _talking_ rabbit, nor a mother with new babies," Wideglide informs the young man. "I've already eaten a squirrel myself, with the same precautions. The rabbit is all yours to skin, gut and cook."

Sergeant Zimcar asks for five volunteers from among men who are unhurt and well rested. "If one of the five is more senior than the rest, that man and I can each take two others with us for split scouting if necessary. Also, whoever has the fastest horse will be designated as first choice for a messenger, in case we need to send back a report in a hurry."

A female talking crow with the appetizing name of Maggotsauce ( :rolleyes: ) volunteers to join the foraging party with Ginarrnbrik and Hackroot.

Bronon has very many shortcomings as far as being a soldier goes, which Sergeant Zimcar has pointed out to him time and time again in no uncertain terms! Yet Bronon has not only learnt how to survive in the wild, including catching and cooking non-talking animals, but is actually very good at these particular skills, as even his sergeant admits. Bronon springs to his feet, first being gracious enough to politely thank Wideglide for what she has caught him. Soon, he has kindled a small fire, prepared the rabbit and is soon roasting it over a spit, with a few herbs. Whilst waiting for it to cook, he asks Wideglide rhetorically, "I don't suppose you've seen any potatoes growing nearby?" Before she can reply, Bronon answers his own question. "No, I can't see anything like that growing out here so far away from civilisation!" He adds, "More's the pity!"

A female talking crow with the appetizing name of Maggotsauce ( :rolleyes: ) volunteers to join the foraging party with Ginarrnbrik and Hackroot.

Her services are gratefully accepted.

O.O.C: What a fantastic name! No doubt that reflects her character and personality!

O.O.C.-- Yes, it does.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"The only potato plants inside Narnia to have survived the Witch's winter were plants grown in greenhouses," Wideglide informs Bronon. "I recall a Talking Hound named Mia who maintained such a greenhouse. I believe that the Beavers of Beaversdam used to get potatoes from her." Now a little coldness creeps back into the falcon's voice. "But if you were to approach any such place now to ask for a potato, you would probably BE asked why you're not with your army."

"It was rather a case of wishful thinking, regarding the potatoes," admits Bronon, with a rueful smile. "However, I've often wondered how most Narnians survived the Great Winter, when food must have been very scarce if not non-existent. Yet if the White Witch allowed her subjects (correcting himself very quickly on seeing the dirty look Wildglide instantly gave him when he had said this) or rather those whom she claimed to be her subjects, to grow food in greenhouses, that must have increased their chances of survival. I wonder where they got the seeds from which they were able to grow such food? I'm surprised that she even allowed this!"

At Beaversdam, Maggotsauce's offer of help is welcomed. Although too small to carry anything, they are aware that she will be of great help in flying ahead and warning of any enemies or potential enemies.

"It was rather a case of wishful thinking, regarding the potatoes," admits Bronon, with a rueful smile. "However, I've often wondered how most Narnians survived the Great Winter, when food must have been very scarce if not non-existent. Yet if the White Witch allowed her subjects (correcting himself very quickly on seeing the dirty look Wildglide instantly gave him when he had said this) or rather those whom she claimed to be her subjects, to grow food in greenhouses, that must have increased their chances of survival. I wonder where they got the seeds from which they were able to grow such food? I'm surprised that she even allowed this!"

WIDEGLIDE TO BRONON: "Jadis, may the flames grow ever hotter around her accursed soul, never gave up control of the western lands to which her power had formerly been confined. That region retained a normal climate, and thus the ability to grow food crops. She had the idea of making everyone inside Narnia proper dependent on her for food; but it didn't take long for her to realize that a slave system just was not efficient. Accordingly, she soon decided to look the other way when independent greenhouses began to be created. As for where they obtained seed, it was brought from Archenland, Terebinthia and Galma by faithful birds -- including most of my great-grandparents."

Bronon to Wideglide: "So, basically, the witch and her supporters turned a blind eye to what was going on, not out of any degree of compassion or kindness, but because to do otherwise might have resulted in virtually everyone starving to death. However, I don't quite understand your comment about slavery not being efficient? The Calormenes practice it, so I've been told, and whatever else one can say about them, they don't seem inefficient!

Far to the east, in the great castle of Cair Paravel, preparations are well underway for a council meeting to discuss the situation regarding those Jadisites still at large. Amongst those attending, in addition to High King Peter, Queen Susan, King Edmund and Queen Lucy are Tumnus the faun, and Mr and Mrs Beaver.

MRS. BEAVER TO THE PEVENSIES: "Your Majesties, I hate to place too high a value on the convenience of myself and my husband.... but the report we received from the Archenland cavalry suggests that the enemy holdouts many be near our house."

WIDEGLIDE TO BRONON: "Anyone can, and evildoers always do, define the terms of discussion to suit themselves. The concept of efficiency has to do with how much one expends, compared with what one gains in return. The Calormenes use many slaves not of their own race, people abducted from several weaker nations, little known to us, which border them on the far side from us. They reckon the lives of these captives to be expendable, and on those terms, they can say that their projects are efficient, for the deaths of slaves are seldom counted as any loss."

High King peter to Mrs Beaver: "No, you are right to mention this matter. Without the help of you and your husband my brother would be dead and quite possibly my sisters and myself too, or turned to stone. We had hoped (perhaps naively) that with the death of the White Witch her surviving supporters would have been prepared to settle down and join with us in rebuilding Narnia. Alas! Such seems not to be the case. The best course of action I think is to hold this council meeting, as planned, to discuss this problem, and how to deal with it. Afterwards, I shall send a scout, possibly Flakefeather the faithful bluejay (if Copperfox is willing to send him on such a dangerous mission) to ascertain as far as possible, without needlessly endangering his life, just what is happening in the vicinity of your home."
Queen Lucy puts her arm around Mrs Beaver in a comforting manner and adds, "Even if the worse come to the worst, and I'm sure it won't, you and your husband always have a home here with us at Cair Paravel for as long as you need one. You are ALWAYS welcome here."

Bronon to Wideglide: "But didn't the White Witch see the people of Narnia in the same way?"

WIDEGLIDE TO BRONON: "The accursed Jadis most certainly did look at Narnians in the same way. After all, she once wiped out an entire world simply to have her own way. And this too was inefficient, since it forced her to go into hibernation and hope that someone would eventually awaken her."

FLAKEFEATHER TO KING PETER: "If it please Your Majesty, I will depart westward this very instant. I am known to many faithful ones in those parts, and they will not hesitate to tell me anything they know."

Bronon gives a whistle. "Wow!" he exclaims. "From what I've heard and read, I knew she was very powerful, but didn't realise that she was that powerful! Neither did I believe she could be that evil and vindictive!" He pauses for a moment, then continues. "I guess we are very fortunate that she didn't destroy all life in this world too!"

High King Peter: "We certainly need to know what is going on there, so we can take the necessary action. However...."

"Do take care, though, Flakefeather, won't you?" implores Queen Lucy. "Yes", agrees her sister, Queen Susan. "Don't take any risks, for these horrid creatures won't show you any mercy I am sure!"

"What I cannot understand", says King Edmund, "is this. Why don't the survivors give in, and join with us in rebuilding Narnia? With the death of the White Witch they must be leaderless and utterly demoralised!"

Last edited:
WIDEGLIDE to BRONON: "Even with Jadis gone to her eternal punishment, evil remains in the Narnian world. [Pointedly stares at Bronon] And it can take root and grow even where no obvious wickedness is intended. Evil can sprout forth from seemingly trivial faults like laziness and irresponsibility."

FLAKEFEATHER to EDMUND: "Your Majesty, those of us who have scouted in the Western Woods feel certain that at least one surviving Jadisite officer of rank and seniority is alive out that way."

A female GRYPHON adds: "My sovereigns, I can more than verify what the gallant Flakefeather says. The repentant Giantess Gruntabillary has flatly stated that the Minotaur Zamron is alive, and has dwarfs and wolves assisting him."

Last edited:
Needless to say, Bronon is too dim to understand what Wideglide is trying to explain to him! As soon as they are ready to move, he asks Wideglide, what are your plans now?"

King Edmund (subconsciously rubbing a hand across his abdomen): I remember there was this minotaur near the witch, when I broke her wand. A nasty piece of work, who nearly killed me with his spear! It is only through the grace of Aslan that i'm still alive!" He looks at Lucy, "And through the healing properties of your cordial! I bet that's the same minotaur who is stirring things up out west! But I still don't see what he thinks he can achieve?"

Last edited:
"Jadis herself _should_ have realized that she couldn't _really_ defeat Aslan," observes Peter. "Thus, we ought not be surprised at stubborn foolishness in this Minotaur."

Wideglide tells Bronon: "I plan to be patrolling all day: outward in widening spirals, then back toward the center from time to time. That, chiefly to check on you. It's been awhile since I needed to be someone's Mommy." And she takes to the air without waiting for a reply from the boy.

Bronon watches Wideglide fly away, a puzzled expression on his face. "What does she mean by being 'somebody's mummy' ?" he says to himself, with a furrowed brow. "And why does she want to keep an eye on me? I've managed fine so far!"

Bronon, of course, is totally oblivious to any of his shortcomings, and has forgotten that, if it hadn't been for Flakefeather, Vermwood the rat would have handed him over to the wolves on a proverbial plate! He is also totally unaware that Aslan's intervention saved him from two other wolves, who had evil plans for him. Flakefeather himself has just begun his flight westward from the comfort and safety of Cair Paravel in order to check out what is happening at Beaversdam. At Cair Paravel, the council called by High King Peter is convening. In addition to the four Narnian monarchs, Mr Tumnus the faun and Mr and Mrs Beaver are participating in the meeting. Gruntabillery, the giantess has also been invited, as she herself was with the enemy for a while, and also present is a representative from the Archenland forces helping to restore Narnia to how it should be.

Back