What Order Do You Read The Books In?

What order do you read the books in?

• Total voters
I read them out of order completely at first as it was a school teacher who introduced them to me and I could only get them as they were available in the library - in fact I believe The Silver Chair was the one I read first! Fortunately I got a box set for Christmas from my brother that same year and was able to start with MN and work my way through. In fact I had no idea until recently that MN was written several years after some of the others as in my box set book one is MN. I think I was reading about Tolkien actually and got onto Lewis and a few other things (as you do ;) ) and found out that way. Anyway, I read TLTWTW ever year now and the full set every so often but I always start at the very beginning with the Magician's Nephew.

I read them in the chronological order, and I remember being confused when people would call LWW the first book in the series. Always wanted to go back and see what it would be like reading them in the original order, but they say that the new order was the order Lewis wished them to be. I dunno. Best to read 'em both ways-- you can never get too much Narnia, after all :)

I've read them both ways...I prefer reading them in chronological order now, but when I was younger I read them in the order they were written as that was how our set was published; being an obediant child :rolleyes: I read them in the order that the numbers on the side dictated! It wasn't until I was 9 or 10 that I started reading them chronologically...

Culfintariél

Like Tariel, I read them in the original order first, because we have an old version of the series that was published in that order... but I wasn't a very obedient child, I just didn't know there was any other order to read them in! :lol:
Afterwards, I read them in chronological order (just because I wanted to, I didn't even know they had been published that way) and decided I liked the original order better.
Now I just read them in any order I want, depending on which one I feel like reading at the time... ;)

I first read them in order of original publication because that's how C.S. Lewis had written them and it only seemed right for the first time, but now I read them chronologically.

I think it's better to read them in the originally published order the first time you read them, theres more suprises that way...

:huh: Hmm, that's an interesting view, and it seems to make sense (for those of us who like to be suprised) ;) , nice brain-work L.T.! B) :lol:

Originally posted by Legolas Turner@Apr 28 2004, 09:22 PM
I think it's better to read them in the originally published order the first time you read them, theres more suprises that way...
That's why I read them like that in the biginning. I thought that's what everyone thought. I guess not everybody thinks quite the same as I do, but sometimes I assume so. :rolleyes:

Me and Specter still need to write our essay on the differences between the different orders. I'm almost done with mine.

I read them in the original order mainly because that was the way I was introduced to them. I really don't like reading MN first. LWW is my first choice.

I first read them in the order they were written, LWW being first. And I guess I've stuck with that habit.

I enjoyed the surprise of reading MN later, and finding out how it all began, after it had already happened. Really cool.

i read the lion, the witch and the wardrobe when i was little..and i read one of the other books..but im not sure which one..all i remember is there was pools of something and traveling between lands through them or something..maybe im way off..lol...but the new chronicles where all 7 are in one book...the order is different...ive read that some people like to read it the way it was published and some people are reading it the way cs lewis says it should be read..since u r all authorities on the books, i was wondering what u guys thought...im itchin to start readin so i hope u guys get back to me soon..thanks

Hey there Flash! It's a tricky one, as most people will have a varying idea on which to read first I would go for LWW (Lion witch & Wardrobe) first it's agood absis and the original of course, then follow through PC (Prince Caspian), VDT (Voyage of the Dawn Treader), HHB (Horse and His Boy), SC (Silver Chair) LB (Last BAttle). The MN (Magicians Nephew) sounds very much like the other one you've read. This one can be read at any point i suppose but it should be read before LB, this is quite tricky actually..oh i don't know..Read Mn first in stead of LWW and then work through from there.
Hope thats helpful and not too rambling! Welcome to the site! ;)

you should read them this way:

MN
LWW
HHB
PC
VDT
SC
LB

look at rosymole's post for "translations". i'm reading them in this way too. time needs to be in order.

no.

let me translate:
Magician's Nephew
Lion the Wich and the Wardobe
Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
Last Battle

is that better, flash? by the way, welcome the the forum!

Back