Fairy Tales and Other Household Stories

theBrotherGrimm

Hello everyone! I am opening this thread to share with you all the original fairy tales that I have written, but this thread is not limited to just fairy tales though. May all of you who cherish the moments in past fairy tales, such as how the glass slipper was fitted on Cinderella's foot and how Snow White was awoken from her sleep by her prince, cherish the ones in mine as well.

The Ugly Wench, The Silver Comb, and the Golden Looking Glass
Once in a distant land, there lived a well known nobleman and his family. By his wife, the man had two daughters. His eldest daughter was the most beautiful of all the maidens in the world. Tales of her beauty spread across to far off lands and many traveled to see the girl. Although the daughter was beautiful she was very vain and selfish. The man's youngest daughter though was born the ugliest maiden in the world. Regardless of her hideousness, the daughter was very kind and charitable to those she met. Since her sister was kind and selfless, the eldest daughter took advantage of her by taking her beautiful gowns and jewels for herself.

"Why wouldst thou needeth such things sister? You hath a beautiful heart, and that doth not need such wonderful gowns or jewels." her sister would say as she took the girl's posessions.

The girl knew of her sister's trickery, but remained submissive to her sister's wants. She cared not for the gowns and the jewels at all anyway-as if such things would aid in making her more beautiful. With these thoughts in her mind, the daughter wept each night in her bed wishing, even just for a day, to be seen as beautiful.

One stormy night, a knock was heard on the door of the nobleman's home. The nobleman opened the door to find a elderly, peasant woman who begged for food and shelter. He shuddered at such a request and closed the door while giving his refusal. The ugly daughter had witnessed her father's reaction and went after the woman without her family's knowledge. After bringing her in, the girl gave the woman her own dinner and allowed her to sleep in her own bed for the night. As the daughter sat by the fireplace, she began to weep.

"What troubleth thee my mistress?" asked the peasant woman.
"I wisheth more than anything to be beautiful, even if it is just for a short time." the girl replied.
"Dearest mistress, you art the most beautiful maiden I hath ever seen in my entire life. I shouldst know this for I am thine own godmother." The girl stopped her crying and thanked her godmother for comforting her.

The next morning before leaving, the woman thanked her goddaughter for her charity and gave her a silver comb and a golden hand mirror as a sign of gratitude.

"Every night for three nights looketh into thy mirror and comb thy hair with the comb before you sleepeth." said the woman

The girl bid her godmother farewell not knowing that her godmother was a fairy in disguise. For two nights, the maiden obeyed her godmother; she gazed at herself in the mirror and combed her hair with the comb each night before she slept.

On the third day, the king of the kingdom proclaimed that a bride would be chosen for his son, and that the prince would visit every home in the kingdom in search for that maiden. Learning of this, the eldest daughter gleefully planned her wardrobe knowing that she would for certain become the next queen;as she did this she taunted her sister maliciously saying that the prince would never choose such an ugly girl to become his bride. That night, after she looked in the mirror and combed her hair, the girl readied for bed when her sister entered her room. The vain girl looked for jewels her sister might have but could not. As she began to leave, she saw the new mirror and comb her sister had. The girl begged her sister not to take them from her but she did so anyway.

The prince visited each home the next day in search of his bride but his efforts were fruitless. None of the maidens that he had met were beautiful both outwardly and in their hearts.

When the prince arrived at the home of the nobleman, the eldest daughter quickly looked at herself in her sister's mirror and combed her hair with the comb before presenting herself.

The father announced his first daughter. An old, hideous hag walked into the room and bowed. She then screamed realizing that she had been transformed and that her beauty was gone forever. The nobleman and his wife were horrified at their daughter's demise.

In order to remove attention from his hideous daughter, the man then announced his second daughter. The most beautful maiden entered and all were silent with awe. The girl's once gray hair had now become as gold as the sun. Her face once filled with warts was clear and white as snow. Her eyes once gray and dull were now as blue and bright as the sea itself. The girl realized her new found beauty and wept out of joy. At that moment, the old peasant woman appeared in front of her goddaughter and lifted her disguise. The now beautiful maiden thanked her fairy godmother for her what she had done.

Looking upon her ugly sister's sadness, the girl asked her godmother to return her sister back to normal and offered to give her new beauty back in return. The fairy gave the miserable girl her beauty back but allowed her goddaughter to keep her beauty for having a caring, selfless heart. The eldest sister, restored to her former self, begged for her sister's forgiveness. The Beauty forgave her sister for her cruelities. The prince, seeing the events that had just happened, had finally found his bride; and so the youngest daughter married the prince and they all lived happily ever after.

Just as the maiden in this tale received two gifts from her fairy godmother there are also two morals to this tale. The first is this "Beauty is a treasure, but Graciousness is priceless". The second is this "True Beauty is not shown through outward appearances but through thoughts, words, and actions."

I enjoyed that!

A long time ago, or so it seems, I was running a thread which satirized _Christian_ romance novels. Much of what is written for Christian consumption must make Our Lord shake His head in annoyance--for supposedly "spiritual" writers, apart from having their characters remain chaste, operate NO differently from secular authors. They have people instantly fall in love with other people _entirely_ on the basis of _outside_ attractiveness and _nothing_ else. Thus your message about true worth is a valuable one.

Back