Ideas for the Director

TimmyofOz

Now that The Silver Chair has been given a strong green light and the next step will be hiring a director, we here at TDL should start to give ideas that a director would put int he movie beyond the set screen play. I was wondering if Pole and Scrubb should ever kiss in this movie or should they wait till The Last Battle when they are older. I feel they should do it during this movie. It should be a quick kiss a the end but shouldn't be played up like the kiss between Caspian and Susan which would require an screen play adjustment. Remember in The Last Battle Pole and Scrubb are about 16, which is kind of old to be sneaking a first kiss. In The Silver Chair they are only about 12.

Feel free to comment on this idea or add your own idea for the new director. Remember these ideas are small things done between the director and the actor, not requiring rewrites. A good example of this is when Han Solo said "I Know" after Princess Leia said "I love You" in The Empire Strikes Back.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

This is ludicrous.

Eustace and Jill were never a "thing" nor an item, and they never had any sort of romance.

I challenge anyone who thinks that they were romantically involved or even interested in each other to find a passage in the Chronicles that says so.

For the director to make them a pair would be a worse mistake than even the Suspian kiss.

I wouldn't want it in the movie, but right now the formula for an action movie is teenage romance. I'm really hoping that the writers do something new this time around(and it's not like they have nothing to work with)

The only thing that prevented romance in LWW was the obvious fact that all were siblings and no real romance could be made. The only thing they had to work with was Lucy and Mr Tumnus and that was completely ruled out.

In PC, they had a chance to put Susan and Caspian as a romantic pair, at least until she left.

In VotDT, they again ran into two road blocks with three of the main characters family and Lucy too young for anyone else. That combined with a lack of other female characters close to Edmund and Eustace's ages to create any kind of romance. Instead, they kept with the only real romance, or at least pre-romance in Caspian and RD.

This movie will have two unrelated characters who start out distrustful with each other and eventually bond. I fear this just screams romance to the filmmakers, but hopefully, they will temper it by making them younger, or at least be able to wait this relationship out until they decide to do TLB, where I would be less frustrated if they did a romance between Jill and Eustace.

MrBpb

I doubt somehow that they'll use the phrase from the book about Jill "making love" to a castle full of giants.

I forgot about that line :eek::p.

They could do the right thing and cast actors that are the right age(or at least pretend to be). If they don't, you know that a romantic subplot between Jill and Eustace will likely happen.
I am hoping that they stick to the plot of the book, or at least more then they did in VotDT. and if they make changes, make sure that they make sense.

"I doubt somehow that they'll use the phrase from the book about Jill "making love" to a castle full of giants."

And "gay" will not be the word.

My, how the English language has changed!

MrBob

Lets be honest, we must assume that Pole and Scrub would be seen as an item back at the Experimental School after their adventures. After all the hand holding and sleeping back to back. And in Lewis' eyes the bickering between the two is is just a test to assure each other of the level of trust they share. The relationship between Pole and Scrub is the same as Shasta and Aravis and we know they end up together. Remember Pole gives Puddleglum a kiss at the end. The kiss merely has to be a sign of affection not romance.

The other important part is how Jill, Eustace, and Caspian deal with the bullies at the end of the book. It will not deal with switches and flat side of the sword.

See, I don't necessarily mind the idea of a romance between Jill and Eustace and I can perhaps even picture it. However, I think at this point with way the films have been handled, I don't think adding in things like this would be the way to go (at least not yet anyway), especially if they want to jump start the series into the public eye again.

The end of VotDT shows us a hint of how they were thinking in terms of the Eustace/Jill relationship. They were friends, or at least close enough that Jill knew where he lived and apparently lived close enough.

Now I doubt they envisioned them as a romantic couple at that point, but I do think they would have done so with the Narnia adventure providing the perfect vehicle.

The question now becomes whether they go with the same idea or if they do something else. How will they handle the cliff-top fall or will they just eliminate it and have the two appear in Narnia in some other place?

MrBob

Remember MrBob, this is a story of Jill and her adventures in Narnia. She has to receive the signs alone from Aslan, not with Scrub. The Fall is needed. But that is more of a screen play issue not something a director would deal with on his own. A director might deal with a individual line or a costume issue.

I am worried with the failure of Ben Hur, will there be a threat to other faith-based movies? I got a feeling they may drop much of what deals with Caspain.

Another subject is how do you deal with is the fact that Puddlegum drinks and not just time when they are at Harfang. He carries a flask of whiskey with him. Now we assume he eventally runs out of whiskey by Harfang. But the fact that he drinks must effect how much they trust Puddleglums judgement early in the adventure. It might be well to play up that he is a drunk like in the movie True Grit where "Rooster" Cogburn is getting drunk and how it effects Mattie Ross's mission. Yes, the Marshal can get the job done if he is not drunk.

Regarding the drinking, they'll probably just drop it, though I'd love to see him drunk at Harfang.

I think back to HP: Goblet of Fire movie where for most of the movie it was implied that Moody was drinking some strong alcoholic drink, even seemingly to act drunk at the Yule Ball. This is how they also may deal with the drinking, by making it comedic or by turning it from alcohol to a fantasy drink that makes Marshwigles drunk, like sour milk.

MrBob

Back