The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > The Inklings

Notices

The Inklings The best-known members of the group were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Charles Williams.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default Charles Williams

Have any of you read anything by Williams?

Charles Williams was a close friend of Lewis and part of the Inklings' writing group. So one of my projects this year is to read through his novels. I liked Many Dimensions; I found the plot wild in a Keystones' Cops kind of way. Now I am reading War in Heaven, but am finding it a bit more difficult to follow and get in to. Hopefully things will fall into place as I get farther along.

May 2017 update:
I finished War in Heaven a while back and am now beginning The Place of the Lion.
After War I had to take a break because of the creepy evil in that book; I wish Williams had focused more on the man in grey...

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

I've read two books by Williams: War in Heaven (which I mostly liked, once I got into it) and Shadows of Ecstasy (which I decidedly did not). War in Heaven seemed like a standard supernatural thriller in many ways, though better written. Shadows was interesting, but it was hard to understand the ending. The story seemed to drop off without a clear resolution, although Williams seemed to be making a point of some kind. I'm wondering whether he may have been trying to put in some sort of magic-related theme--it didn't seem entirely orthodox. But I think Shadows has a reputation for being one of the worst of his books.

I think PotW mentioned reading All Hallows' Eve before, if I remember correctly.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

I just finished Place of the Lion and it had its moments in which I could not wait to turn the page, as well as scenes that left me wondering, "What was that about?" or "Well what about [unanswered question/loose thread]?" Knowing how much Lewis loved Williams, and enjoying his writing and the mythopoeic beauty of his imaginative ideas kept me reading... but at the end I feel rather confused and dissatisfied...

Things I wish knew more about <<SPOILERS ALERT>>
• Berringer and what his trance was about (how it started and what it signified) and the meaning of his fate
• what the supernatural fire meant
•*how Damaris could be so calm about her father's fate
• how Foster and the Serpent woman came to get involved with the negative side -- the anatomy of their falls
• how was the community going to heal from all its trauma and destruction and frightening encounters with angelicals

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus