What was the last thing you watched?

the complete 2005 season of Dr. Who with Eccleston and Piper. This was my first intro to the Doctor (and I found it intense with so many apocalypses one after another). The characterization and chemistry was pretty fascinating to watch.

NON-SPOILING REVIEW: "RISEN"

I'll bet you didn't know that absolutely everyone who lived within the Roman Empire during the first century of the Christian era was issued a set of instructions at birth. These instructions told them: "You must not say one word or move a muscle, ever, unless it's a word or action that is scheduled to be recorded in the New Testament. Those of you who do get to be in the New Testament still must never say any word or do anything that is not in your script."

You say you don't believe this? But some Christians do believe it, or at least act as if they believed it. For if a movie about Jesus is made, some demand stridently that NOT ONE WORD OR MOVE must be depicted that _isn't_ recorded in Scripture. I guess they see nothing odd in the thought of Jesus' disciples waiting silently for days and weeks, not being able to ask Him any questions until their scheduled times came to ask their _scripted_ questions.

Christians taking this attitude are merely demonstrating a wider phenomenon: the obsessive notion that _guessing_ about events not written in the Bible is the exact same thing as _contradicting_ the Bible.

Mature believers, on the other hand, know that there can be speculation which is not attacking the inspiration or authority of God's written Word. And I'm confident that _those_ believers will derive some satisfaction from watching "Risen." This movie, starring Joseph Fiennes as a Roman officer investigating the Resurrection, does _less_ tampering with real events than Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" did.

It won't ruin anything if I give one example of little things in which the script could technically be said to be contrary to the Biblical record. In the course of his investigation, the main character has his troops dig up every known grave of any recently-deceased man all around Jerusalem. Since Matthew 27 reports that many righteous dead people came back to life when Jesus died, it could be considered an unscriptural detail when the movie _fails_ to depict the Roman soldiers finding any sign of _those_ empty graves.

The closer it comes to the finish, the more the movie takes with the historical events. I would say that there is _zero_ chance that anything like the extra stuff in the last half-hour ever happened. But imagining the fictional character Forrest Gump coming close to historical persons does not deny or distort the historical importance of those persons; and inserting the adventures of Tribune Clavius into the Gospel events does not prevent the audience from appreciating that "He is risen indeed."

I guarantee that screenwriter Paul Aiello is not trying to start a cult centered on Tribune Clavius; it is Yeshua the Messiah Whom he is honoring. So, _even_ though the movie does not confine itself exclusively to a verbatim recitation of lines from the Four Gospels and Acts, you can allow yourself to enjoy it.

Trivia item: I'm pretty sure that it was Joseph Fiennes who did the voice of Jesus/Yeshua for an excellent animated movie about Jesus, titled "The Miracle Maker."

NCIS, a season 6 episode. I'm currently working my way through all of the seasons (I only became a fan in 2011) and I'm about halfway done with the series. JAG is next on my list to watch; since I have CBS AllAccess, I can watch all 10 seasons! :)

I caught the end of Tangled. Two year old in this house means they watch every movie multiple times.

So cool you got to go, AravisK...

The last thing I watched was the taping of Garrison Keillor's final performance of Prairie Home Companion at the Hollywood Bowl.

IYQQHAD.jpg

So cool you got to go, AravisK...

The last thing I watched was the taping of Garrison Keillor's final performance of Prairie Home Companion at the Hollywood Bowl.

IYQQHAD.jpg

Which is pretty cool.

I watched Back to the Future for the first time last night.

NCIS, 7x04. Slowly, but surely, I'm getting closer to being all caught up. The season 13 finale, however, I dread watching again after getting to know Ziva even more these last few seasons. :(

Star Trek Into Darkness. Let's just say it did not make me excited for the new one...

Neither of those do, IMHO. The new one won't be getting my money at the box office for sure.

The last bit of a Hawaii Five-0 episode that had been sitting half finished in my Netflix list for like 2 months. lol. Also a When Calls the Heart season 2 episode. And earlier NCIS. Halfway through season 7! :D

Back