The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > Other Fantasy Worlds

Notices

Other Fantasy Worlds Harry Potter, The NeverEnding Story and Beyond

Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM

judyfromkansas has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Any other Wizard of Oz fans here?

Hey, everybody! Just wondered if there are any Wizard of Oz fans here. I recently rented the Oz film from my local library. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and I fell in love with it all over again. What a fantastic movie!!! So magical, and the costumes and effects aren't dated at all - indeed, the cyclone scene is still incredibly convincing. And the music...superb. Judy Garland was amazing. I sure wish she'd had a happier life...

As for Oz books, my faves are "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" and "The Marvelous Land of Oz". My LEAST favorites are anything written by Gregory McGuire. Just can't get into them, although I respect their success.

So, again, any other Oz fans here? Any other Followers Of The Yellow Brick Road?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

I've never read any of the books, and have only seen the 1939 Oz. In fact, it's on TCM right now in honor of Judy Garland's 90th b-day, but anyway...

It was my favorite movie as a kid, and I used to obsess over it. I own the soundtrack, and still know [most] of the lyrics by heart. It's a movie that never grows old.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM

judyfromkansas has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravis Kenobi View Post
I've never read any of the books, and have only seen the 1939 Oz. In fact, it's on TCM right now in honor of Judy Garland's 90th b-day, but anyway...

It was my favorite movie as a kid, and I used to obsess over it. I own the soundtrack, and still know [most] of the lyrics by heart. It's a movie that never grows old.
Hi, Aravis! Nice to talk to you again!

Wow, I didn't know TCM was doing a tribute to Judy Garland today. 90th birthday, wow...she was only 47 when she died...sad story. But at least on the Oz movie, she was a happy healthy teenager of 16. The "little people" who played the Munchkins had nothing but good memories of her. I saw a documentary about the film not long ago, and the surviving Munchkins called her an angel, and said she was sweet as she could be. She bought them a HUGE box of candy for Christmas, and put it on the yellow brick road, and said "Sweets for the sweet". She also autographed pictures for all 100+ of them, and gave them all a grand tour of her new on-set trailer. It's too bad she got hooked on drugs thanks to MGM, who gave them to their stars - even the children - to keep them revved up for all of the movies they had to make. Maybe she would have lived to be an old lady...ah well.

I sometimes wish the Narnia films had the same childlike wonder and humor and magic of the Oz film...they had some nice moments, but I've never been wholly satisfied with them, for some reason...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

Seen/Purchased the 1939 Oz on every medium from VHS to BluRay. Read the "Making Of" and yes, the original book in the series, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz".

You may find it interesting to know that Baum was in a doctor's office waiting for his appointment when he noticed the filing cabinet of case jackets...the drawers were marked "A-M" and "O-Z". Yep, that's where the name came from.

And yes, I get a laugh every time I see the MGM movie and the Wicked Witch of the West says "They won't put up a struggle. I sent a little insect ahead to take the fight out of them!" A reference to the cut "Jitter-Bug" number.

Gotta love that film.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM

forbearne will become famous soon enough

I don't care for the movie, but I've seen it a few times.

I'm a HUGE fan of the book series, though. I actually collect the books, antique originals, and this month I finally got the last one so I own them all. They're so imaginative and adorable. Love them to pieces.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningStar View Post

And yes, I get a laugh every time I see the MGM movie and the Wicked Witch of the West says "They won't put up a struggle. I sent a little insect ahead to take the fight out of them!" A reference to the cut "Jitter-Bug" number.

Gotta love that film.
You know, it took me a really long time to catch that slip. It's a shame the number was cut...but they should have edited that line out. Or something.

Not to mention, the length of Dorothy's hair irks me because in one shot it will be long, in another it'll be short, then long, then short....virtually every shot of her (with her hair in braids), her hair is a different length. Who wouldn't notice that?!

But regardless, I still love the movie.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Friend of Narnia

Location: At a concert hall listening to Classical music composers.
Narnia_bookworm has a spectacular aura aboutNarnia_bookworm has a spectacular aura about

I am a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz series. I have read all of the books written by L. Frank Baum and even the one's that weren't written by him ever since I was a kid, and loved them all. I remember seeing both the 1939 movie and the second one done by Disney in the 80s. Both were truly remarkable, fun-filled fantasy and family fun. It's good to see other fans on this forum.

I recently acquired some of the Oz books on my kindle and I didn't have to pay a dime for them. I also read some books about both of the movies, and had some figurines growing up. I have a Dorothy nutcracker and a Scarecrow figure landing on the Yellow Brick Road. I own both movies on dvd.
When I look at her my heart melts. When I gaze into those gorgeous eyes and hear that beautiful voice the whole world stops, and it's just the two of us. There is nothing else that matters in the world. My love and devotion for her is so pure! I can't ever stop thinking about my true love!

~ Narnia! It's all in the wardrobe just like I told you!~Lucy Pevensie~ The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

I haven't read any of the books, but I re-watched the Judy Garland movie recently and I like it.

The only thing I don't like is the ending. The "it's all a dream" thing is depressing for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 AM

forbearne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Inquisition View Post
The only thing I don't like is the ending. The "it's all a dream" thing is depressing for me.
That's exactly why I don't care for the film; it was such a cop-out to make it all a dream (and this coming from a person who actually enjoys the Dream Season of Dallas ).

In the book(s) it's all supposed to be real, like Narnia or Middle Earth. That's why I love them.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbearne View Post
That's exactly why I don't care for the film; it was such a cop-out to make it all a dream (and this coming from a person who actually enjoys the Dream Season of Dallas ).

In the book(s) it's all supposed to be real, like Narnia or Middle Earth. That's why I love them.
It's just like...

she had this whole fantastic adventure and made these lovely friends and beat the bad guys and has learned a valuable lesson about the importance of home. And then NONE of it is real.

I should get around to reading the first book sometime. It wouldn't take me very long.