Journey to the Utter East

PrinceOfTheWest

Knight of the Stone Table
Royal Guard
Emeritus
In terms of popular culture, we're in a Narnia "lull". Prince Caspian will be released on DVD soon, which will be the last bit of media attention to the film. The next Narnia Chronicle to be released on film will be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. There will be the expectable "buzz" about filming schedules, casting issues, release dates, and the like, but even the most optimistic schedule gives us over a year until the debut of the film. While we're waiting, I'd like to challenge Dancing Lawn participants to something constructive: a review and discussion of the book itself.

If you've never read Dawn Treader, now is an ideal time. After all, it's a book for youth, written by a master, which makes it very readable. If you have a copy, why not get it out and dust it off? If you've never read it, you're in for a treat. If you have, read it again - it's even more of a treat. If you don't have a copy, you could pick one up at a bookstore, or borrow one from the library.

Dawn Treader is unique among the Chronicles in that it is the only one of the stories which takes place totally outside Narnia. Some of the stories, like Lion, Caspian, and Last Battle take place completely within Narnia. Others, like Horse and Silver Chair, have only a little action within Narnian borders, but there's at least some. Treader is completely away from Narnia*. Furthermore, it's not even a start-to-finish narrative like Horse - it's a series of vignettes stitched together against the backdrop of the eastward journey over the Narnian ocean. But it's in these vignettes that the depth of the story lies.

I'd like to challenge forum members to a discussion of this wonderful tale. Let's all read (or reread) the story, and then come here and discuss our favorite parts, our least favorite parts, what we understand, what makes no sense - whatever. (There's even a contradiction or two in there!) Go ahead - hurl yourself through the picture frame and be dragged dripping onto the pitching deck! Set sail with Caspian, Reepicheep, the Pevensies, and the rest. Let's explore again the wonders that Lewis wrote into this classic story. I'll have some discussion starters to post shortly.

Let's head back to Narnia, and get underweigh for a journey to the utter East!

*unless you're counting the Lone Islands, which is a special case

I actually just finished re-reading Dawn Treader (for what must be at least the 100th time), I started reading it when I forgot to bring the book that I had been reading with me on Fall Break (I was locked out of my room and so I could not go back to get even though I was on Campus still :().

[WARNING: Contains Spoilers... don't read this if you haven't read Voyage of the Dawn Treader] Highlight to view.

Even though the Dark Island could be the most scary part of the book, the part with the Albatross is my favorite part. I also love the part dealing with the actual Utter East of the world when Reep leaves and Aslan appearing to them as a Lamb.

OK, I'm in. I will start reading tonight. Once there was a boy named Eustace Scrubb, and he almost deserved it ...

Not only will I read it, but I'll only read it at dawn, and while facing east. In order to get the full effect. :D

Maybe when I hit Christmas Break (yes I know that my Politically Correct school doesn't call it that Officially) I will read it again. I get the feeling that I am going to be kept rather busy until then.

I'll start now, and hopefully I'll be done in an hour or two.

I think that as TDL we should start trying to take a more active roll in everything that goes on in the world with Narnia.

Last edited:
VDT has always been probably my fave book in the series ( though not by much, i love them all so much) and i have re-read and re-read dozens and dozens of times. One of my favorite parts is probably near the beginning of the books on the Lone islands, when they take on gumpas and all that. It's funny, when i was little, i always skipped over that part, because i didn;'t really think it interesting though i've no idea where i got that idea, because i'd never read it.. then one day in the car on the way back from school, my sister started reading aloud from VDT, and she was on that chapter, and i realized it wasn't boring at all, and now it's one of my favorite parts. Though i do also love the bit w/ the albatross. they sort of tie, i guess.

Yeah, VotDT is probably my favorite book too. I don't know why, but there's something about it that I really like. I just re-read it, and there are so many parts that I think will be awesome on the movie, like Coriakin's house with the Dufferpods, and then everything from Ramandu's Island on.

I would have to say Coriakin's house. Something about how I imagine his island makes it really inviting. I absolutely love the whole book, although I can't pin a reason on it.

I love the Duffers. They frustrate me to no end because they remind me of how so many people don't realize saying that, "There are no absolutes" is an absolute in and of itself...

But anyways. They're hilarious and I always laugh so hard at the description of the dinner.

Not only will I read it, but I'll only read it at dawn, and while facing east. In order to get the full effect. :D

*shamelessly copies EveningStar*

*shamelessly copies EveningStar and BarbarianKing*

now which way is east...? :D

wow, it's been a while since I've read the books straight through, so this is an awesome idea. VDT was prbly my fav book out of the entire series... after all, it had the Duffers in it!! I'm really looking forward to seeing what 20th century fox does with the movie, especially Ramandu and Coriakin and the Duffers (of course) and the Utter East and Dragon Island and... okay, I'm excited about the entire thing really ;)

Back