Narnia And Lord Of The Rings

dawntreader77

ok this may already be somewhere on this forum if so just edit this one and im sorry.but have any of you ever noticed how those too resemble? like the rings for instence?
like you dissapear when it is put on you?

I am wearing a shirt right now that says on the front, "Sure, you know about the ONE RING to rule Middle Earth..." and on the back, "...but do you know of the TWO RINGS that can get you there?" On each side is a color illustration of the rings in their respective environments. Just thought that was a tidbit of information that was somehow relevant.

Oh, COOL!!! I want one!!! That is so awesome! :D B)

I think that there are quite a few similarities between the two series, probably because the two authors were such good friends and had a lot in common themselves.

Another random bit of information: Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien criticized Lewis' first version of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so much that Lewis almost didn't write it?

poor lewis!! :( [*mumbels under breath about tolken*] oh guess what comes out may 25?????return of the king!!! :lol: yay!!! [at least it does doun here]mr. fish, you need to make those t-shirts and sell them here on the site!! ;) how do you make them? :eek: .

Originally posted by dawntreader77@May 8 2004, 08:50 PM
mr. fish, you need to make those t-shirts and sell them here on the site!! ;) how do you make them? :eek: .
that's MS. Fish to you! :lol: ;) Anyway, I just take old t-shirts that have stains or stuff and I draw on them with permanent sharpies. And I don't think I could make enough to sell them... good idea, though.

Yeah we could order them here and give you our adresses and send you money in the mail and you could send us the t-shirts! :lol: That'd be so cool! ;)

Hmm... the two books/series do have a lot of the same themes, of course. One of them that is interesting is the banding together of different types of people to fight a common enemy. That is a big theme in PC from CoN, and of course it runs through all three LOTR books.

A major similarity-like-thing in the books is the geography. Middle Earth is a big eastern land with a big western ocean; Narnia is a big western land with a big eastern ocean. And then you've got the Undying Lands/Aslan's Country in the middle. Might have been on purpose, might not have been.

Narnia and LotR are totally different! For starters the CoN is an allegorical work, whereas LotR is most definately not, as confirmed by Tolkien himself. The differnces in scale, languages, details of history are huge! The only thing that joins them together is the genre they share, and some themes of friendship, good vs evil etc, but these can be found in any book. Still, they are both a great read and deserve equal respect and homage!

Originally posted by rosymole@Oct 16 2004, 07:15 AM
Narnia and LotR are totally different! For starters the CoN is an allegorical work, whereas LotR is most definately not, as confirmed by Tolkien himself. The differnces in scale, languages, details of history are huge! The only thing that joins them together is the genre they share, and some themes of friendship, good vs evil etc, but these can be found in any book. Still, they are both a great read and deserve equal respect and homage!
Tolkien said that his work was not allegorical, but you can read a lot into it. i think that there are many parallels between the two books (many more than if compared to star wars or something). i was under the impression the Tolkien greatly influenced Lewis in his writing.

Back