who should play lewis and tolkien

The late Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. I know they are associated with horror films, and Christopher Lee has often (not always) been cast as a villain, even in non horror films. Nevertheless they always worked together very well, and are such talented actors (were in Peter Cushing's case as, sadly, he is no longer with us) that I think they'd do a superb job playing these two great authors. That's my opinion, anyway, for what it's worth!

Lee and Cushing did make a terrific team.

I'm sorry to say that many Hollywood film directors would make casting choices as grossly wrong as the ones presented humorously in the article. I haven't forgotten Uma Thurman being cast as Emma Peel, solely because she was "marketable" at the time.

Hilarious!

Thanks for the link to the article, I loved it! And I loved their suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with very many middle-aged or younger actors (aside from the Sherlock cast and former Dr Who's), so I don't have any real suggestions. I love the Patrick Stewart Ian McKellan idea, but they're too old now for the time of life the film will be portraying. :(

OK, what about 2 former Doctors? David Tennant for CSL, and Christopher Eccelston for JRRT. Dream team!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.13.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.13.00 AM.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 251
Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan look like they'll pull ALL their muscles if they try to kick that ball they're holding! :D

Last edited:
Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan look like they'll pull ALL their muscles if they try to kick that ball they're holding! :D
They are in their 70's! Did you see ... some mini-series ... "Theater Land" or some'at like that? It's a documentary about the two of them performing "Waiting for Godot" on stage. It's interesting to think about their dealing with the same troubles as other elderly folks, trying to memorize lines with a more and more faulty memory, or needing a nap and whatnot. Gandalf and Picard seem immortal, but Ian and Patrick surely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Ian McKellen OR Patrick Stewart in any film about these two men if the filmmakers keep true to who those two men were. It goes without me really explaining that both Stewart and McKellen are pretty anti-Christian people (McKellen especially so).

As for who could play the two, I don't know. I don't think I would worry so much about the casting as I would about the content of the film. Will they water down Lewis' struggle to convert to Christianity? Will they gloss over the fact that Lewis and Tolkien were strong Christian men?

I don't see Ian McKellen OR Patrick Stewart in any film about these two men if the filmmakers keep true to who those two men were. It goes without me really explaining that both Stewart and McKellen are pretty anti-Christian people (McKellen especially so).

As for who could play the two, I don't know. I don't think I would worry so much about the casting as I would about the content of the film. Will they water down Lewis' struggle to convert to Christianity? Will they gloss over the fact that Lewis and Tolkien were strong Christian men?

Just because someone isn't a Christian, that doesn't mean they can't play one. Actors play people that are incredibly different from them all the time. it's their job.
The two are such good friends in real life that it'd be cool to see that chemistry onscreen. I think they'd do a fantastic job, but if we're being realistic, they're too old.

I do wonder if they'll gloss over the Christianity as well. Or if they'll gloss over the Roman Catholicism of Tolkien and the Anglo-catholicism of Lewis in order to appeal to the evangelical crowd......time will tell, I suppose.

I disagree. McKellen has been so vehemently anti-Christian that I doubt he would take on a role in such a film, especially if they don't gloss over the faith of the two. now, if they water it down to nothingness, he'd probably entertain the idea. Stewart may not be quite so adamantly against Christianity, but again, if they don't water the story down I don't think he'd take it.

What about Anthony Hopkins for Lewis? I haven't seen much of his work, but he looks kind of like Lewis....

Actually it is worth pointing out that Patrick Stewart did read the audio book for CS Lewis's The Last Battle ( which was complete and unabridged). So take that as you will. Further, Andy Serkis is an atheist and Focus on the Family ( a Christian ministry) cast him as Screwtape for the radio play of The Screwtape Letters for no other reason then he is a very talented voice actor.

Now, on to casting, Anthony Hopkins may look the part but he is actually 15 years older then CS Lewis was when he died. This is going to look at them in their younger days.

So I would say Benedict Cumberbatch as Tolkien, and Tom Hiddleston ( Loki in the Avengers) as CS Lewis. Bonus points to them if they have Cumberbatch read the Verse of the Ring as part of a draft of LOTR in a meeting of the Inklings.

Now if nationality is no issue and we want actors who are Christians for the part, then the most logical choices in casting would be Kirk Cameron for CS Lewis and Kevin Sorbo for JRR Tolkien. Just hire a dialect coach to teach them British accents ( please no Cockney) and call it a day.

I also wonder about the Catholic aspect of Tolkien and the Anglo-Catholic aspect of Lewis. Lewis especially ahs all been but posthumously declared a member of the Evangelical Free Church of America. I don't foresee them making a big deal about their denominational preferences ( unless they want to make Tolkien the cliché of the Catholic.)

So I would say Benedict Cumberbatch as Tolkien, and Tom Hiddleston ( Loki in the Avengers) as CS Lewis. Bonus points to them if they have Cumberbatch read the Verse of the Ring as part of a draft of LOTR in a meeting of the Inklings.
good choices!

Sven El said:
Now if nationality is no issue and we want actors who are Christians for the part, then the most logical choices in casting would be Kirk Cameron for CS Lewis and Kevin Sorbo for JRR Tolkien. Just hire a dialect coach to teach them British accents ( please no Cockney) and call it a day.
Please – – this is not the " Give the movie makers silly ideas" thread! :p

Well, Inky, the OP did say
Suggestions (serious of funny) as to who could play Lewis or Tolkien welcome below.
I figured I'd go for the funny, yet semi-obligatory casting suggestions for any and all Christian movies.

PS. Can we start a silly ideas thread for this topic? Because those are always fun!

Last edited:
you can start another thread if you like -- but it's ok to go on putting funny suggestions for casting here -- that cameron/sorbo one made me laugh.

he did a good job, but is too old now.

and that brit who did the previous adaptation of shadowlands was better -- or maybe the adaptation was better? joss ackland, i think was his name. also too old now.

Please – – this is not the " Give the movie makers silly ideas" thread! :p

Oh, and I was going to suggest Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey (from the "Carry On" films)! Or alternatively, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick reprising their "Julian and Sandy" characters from the 1960s radio comedy,
"Round the Horne"!

Nicholas Cage can play both.
kinda like Parent Trap.

Oh, and I was going to suggest Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey (from the "Carry On" films)! Or alternatively, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick reprising their "Julian and Sandy" characters from the 1960s radio comedy,
"Round the Horne"!

Both very charming — especially like the idea of Nic Cage playing both — gives it a very avant-garde feel. :p

"Round the Horne"!
Please, just don`t.
I dont really mind your suggestions but I think you might just end up upsetting some people on this site uneccesserally when they look up the references in a bit more detail.

Last edited:
Back