Book of Tips

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
Well i thought i would create this thread because i have been reading a lot of interviews and thoughts written in magazines and on the internet from famous authors. I came to the conclusion that if you hear something that sticks out to you as a good tip for your own writing that may help others in general, feel free to put it in here.

One i heard was of J.K. Rowling as she said she does not discuss her books until she has finished her first draft then she lets her editors have a go and start talking about it hten and working on the kinks of everything. Basically she said its because you bottle up all of your emotion for all the scenes and the storyline that you have all that energy and it comes out in writing instead of in storying telling in the old form of langauge riding the air. You loose the excitement a little bit and some of the original amazement you had with your idea.

It really struck me as quite a good thing to remember for myself as i love to talk about what its about and now i'm creating other book plots when i need to finish the first still, lol.

tg

Many professional writers I have met seem to give this tip...

When you start writting, write about a personal experience in your life. That way, when you write the book, you will know exactly what words to use in your story, and what emotions to show to your readers. After getting some experience, you can start branching out, but always start with a personal experience

Hmm, thats where i started, but i put all of that into poetry. I think when you start writing period you gain a better feel for everything and that is when you develop your own style.

tg

I don't have too much to say as far as tips go, but a fantasy author, Terry Brooks, wrote a book entitled 'Sometimes the Magic Works.' It is a writers' guide to brainstorming, writing, and publishing a book.

i know his work. I remember that book coming out, but i never bothered to read it.

tg

Brooks is a pretty good author. I have all of is books. Except that one lol. Might look it up. Maybe one day I'll finish one of my stories lol.

unleavened said:
Oh! Everyone, be proud of me! I finished a story for the first time in my life!

Yay! *claps* How long's the book? And can we (maybe...please?) get to see an advance copy?

I found a really interesting site for writers http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html You can copy and paste text into the space, and it determines whether the author has more masculine or feminine qualities. It is great for writers who are not sure if their characters are macho/faminine enough for their books. Enjoy!

Last edited:
That is extremely cool unl. I really want to finish this book i'm on, so i can jump onto the next one. I really am enjoying the idea of the second book, but its not the second book of the series i started, lol. I'm jumping all over the place going where my heart desires, lol.

tg

Write About What You Know! I can't remember who said it but it's surely the golden rule...this is why my attempt at writing about the Sinclair C5 is struggling..

Write from the heart.

I guess that's pretty obvious but on the other hand I've read a lot of stuff by people who can't find the courage to write about the issue as deeply as it should be, hence they just 'skate over it' so to speak. That does not make a great book. Writing exactly what you felt at the time makes the end product so much deeper, and something that more people can feel or relate to.

I don't know if any famous authors agree with me, but I think that's just a conclusion I've come to over the years of looking back at my earlier writing.

Here's another tip I like, from my favourite poet - the talent woman Sylvia Plath (RIP): 'Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.'

Last edited:
Back