Votes: 24 66.7%
  • It was OK.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • It wasn't good at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HATED it!

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
OK, I don't know how to edit the poll in the old thread, so I am creating a new HP thread and locking the old one, so we can comment on the new movie when it comes out July 15.

FWIW, I am very hopeful, even though somewhat disturbed by the trailer that shows Harry taunting Voldy with "Let's end this the way we started it" and jumping off a tower? I do not want them to change the final battle/Voldy death scene from the book!

It is July 11 as I write this -- very excited for the new and final film!

Ah, but let us remember that trailers sometimes use pieces of movies that do not make it into the final cut. As for what's actually going to happen...we'll have to wait and see. :p

You are right.

I saw the Larry King/CNN retrospective special which showed more; I am wondering now if Harry and Voldy's final duel will start like it does in the book, but then travel all over Hogwarts, kind of like the Harry vs Dragon scene did in the GoF film. Remember in the book he managed the dragon task in the grounds where the dragon was, but in the film the dragon chased him all over Hogwarts. It was more dramatic that way; maybe that's what they have in mind for the final duel.

I enjoyed the CNN special, especially seeing the actors as little children again, that was very sweet. Plus HBC and Robbie Coltrane and the boys who play the twins were on, it was really good.

Hey, remember everyone when you post your movie review here, to be sure to put a *** SPOILER ALERT *** for those of us who don't see it on opening day. Thanks!

Firstly *** SPOILER ALERT ***

Living in New Zealand, we often have to wait for movies and TV shows to come out. Sometimes however, they they are released worldwide at the same time, we get to see them first, because of time zones. So it looks like I'm the first one here :)

I loved that i loved it, but if there was a between that and "it was Ok", I probably would have gone with that. Overall, I though that it was a great climax to the series overall.

But there were part, particularly towards the end, which I though were weak. The aftermath, I was left disappointed with that. There was not really any emotion, ether the joy or morning, both of which were there in the book. There seemed little emotional response to the fact the the greatest dark wizard of all time had just been defeated. And it really was not clear which peace of magic finished Vodermort off. In the book, its his rebounding avada kedavra, but it the movie, its almost as if losing the wand destroys him. I also would have like the event have have had more witnesses. While it looked like Ron, Hermione and Neville did, no one else did. I also didn't like that Harry never fixes his own wand before breaking the elder wand, and that Neville is never told to destroy the snake, but just happens to do so. It was very much focused on Harry, Ron and Hermione. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more of some of the other characters.

Overall however, it was great. It was fast passed and exiting, fulled with humor as well as sadness, and involved some great magical warfare.

Last edited:
Nice to see you Narborg! Welcome back!

Wow, I can't believe you saw it already ... it is still Wednesday here -- did you get to see it on Thursday?

OK

***SPOILER ALERT ***

Already I am distressed if Neville's heroic role is not expanded and if only he and Ron and Hermione witness Harry's defeat of Voldy. Also I am very distressed if it is not clear that Voldy's killing curse rebounded, and why. Harumph! I want the film to be more like the book, which was beautiful!!!

I am so exsited! It's not out untill midnight on Friday! I have skimmed over the two posts with spoilers so that I am surprised. I shall be straight back on here once the film is out and I have viewed it!

Nice to see you Narborg! Welcome back!

Wow, I can't believe you saw it already ... it is still Wednesday here -- did you get to see it on Thursday?

OK

***SPOILER ALERT ***

Already I am distressed if Neville's heroic role is not expanded and if only he and Ron and Hermione witness Harry's defeat of Voldy. Also I am very distressed if it is not clear that Voldy's killing curse rebounded, and why. Harumph! I want the film to be more like the book, which was beautiful!!!

Neville is still very heroic, it just the focus is more on Harry, Ron and Hermione. I did enjoy the movie overall. The Gerngots scene, well sorter, earlier and less a part of the film than I was expecting, was great, the battle over all was awesome to watch, and it was an action packed, fast moving and exiting movie. Its just unfortunate that the parts I did not like as much were the most important parts.
A movie is always going to be different to the book. Its a totally different medium and (especially in books as large as the later Harry Potter books) have a lot less space to tell the story. So they are always going to leave things out. And each reader bring their own imagination as to what happens to the movie, which also makes it difficult. I guess its up to each individual fan to decide it the movie it true enough to the book.

I am so exsited! It's not out untill midnight on Friday! I have skimmed over the two posts with spoilers so that I am surprised. I shall be straight back on here once the film is out and I have viewed it!
Awesome! I am not going to the midnight showing. :( My husband said he would go with me, but not the first week because he doesn't want to fight the crowds! I may be a whole week before I can see it.
A movie is always going to be different to the book. Its a totally different medium and (especially in books as large as the later Harry Potter books) have a lot less space to tell the story. So they are always going to leave things out. And each reader bring their own imagination as to what happens to the movie, which also makes it difficult. I guess its up to each individual fan to decide it the movie it true enough to the book.
True, but also this is one of the shortest, if not THE shortest, movie of all 8. Potter fans would have say through 3 hours if they would have included more from the book, and been happier ...

Awesome! I am not going to the midnight showing. :( My husband said he would go with me, but not the first week because he doesn't want to fight the crowds! I may be a whole week before I can see it.

We wanted to go to midnight tonight but mum has work tomorrow and the twins have school so we are going tomorrow instead. I Can't imagin waiting a week!

Firstly

IT WAS PRETTY AWESOME

Secondly:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I also didn't like that Harry never fixes his own wand before breaking the elder wand, and that Neville is never told to destroy the snake, but just happens to do so. It was very much focused on Harry, Ron and Hermione. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more of some of the other characters.

I was hoping Harry would fix his wand too. I was just glad Neville did destroy the snake because it was looking like Ron and Hermione were going to.

Well funnily, it's kind of Harry and Hermione focused because Ron doesn't do that much. XD

But agreed, it needed more characters.

Namely MY TWO FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN THE WHOLE SERIES WHO DIED. Seriously, would it kill them to stick in some more Lupin and Tonks? Lupin got like four lines.... Tonks got none. Would it also have killed them to mention Teddy by name? Maybe before Lupin died? And maybe they could have just stuck in a blue-haired kid in the last scene to make fans happy? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Okay, I need to stop thinking about the injustice done to my two all time favorite characters. XD

Snape, however, was even more perfectly done than I ever could have imagined. Alan Rickman truly is a star and made the "Prince's Tale" so amazingly beautifully tragic and they kept some of my all time favorite lines from it like Dumbledore lamenting that he could never tell anyone about Snape's best side.

The "King's Cross Station" bit after Harry dies was well done as well, I really liked it.

Nadia pointed out that the movie-makers seem to "ship" Harry-Hermione a bit still. XD The Ron and Hermione parts really were cute but they didn't really give Ginny anything to do even though Ginny is really kind of cool in the last book.

The DA did come out nicely though, Neville was awesome, Dean and Seamus were the same as ever :D Luna was amazing as always and even Cho had her moments.

I have to look it up, was Malfoy that wimpy in the book? I didn't think he blatantly went back to be with Voldemort, however reluctantly. And did Griphook die in the book? Those are my main questions.

I HATE MOVIE GINNY. Sorry. Had to say it. Love book Ginny. Hate movie Ginny.

NEVILLE WAS SUCH A BOSS IN THIS. I loved him. I also like how the movie hints at Neville-Luna because I ALWAYS wanted that. Always.

I hate they don't show more Tonks-Lupin scenes, but I realize for time reasons it's an easy and convenient thing to cut out. Sad. I always heated in the book you never hear how they die though.

The cast all did awesome. I want to hug everyone.

The epilogue was... awkward. I don't know. It just felt- rushed, pushed... strange. I think it was because it was the same actors playing their older selves, and yet you know if they had DIFFERENT actors it would be even stranger. I just- I don't know how I felt about the pacing of it. Yeah.

I HATE MOVIE GINNY. Sorry. Had to say it. Love book Ginny. Hate movie Ginny.

NEVILLE WAS SUCH A BOSS IN THIS. I loved him. I also like how the movie hints at Neville-Luna because I ALWAYS wanted that. Always.

Yeah I've never really liked her. ;)

I really love the Neville-Luna because J.K. said it didn't happen so the movies blatantly defied her... ;)

Yeah I've never really liked her. ;)

I really love the Neville-Luna because J.K. said it didn't happen so the movies blatantly defied her... ;)

YAY for defiance! I always ignored her when she said it didn't happen. "YES IT DID JK! STOP TELLING ME OTHERWISE!!!"

I agree -- Neville + Luna forever. :p

Now I really can't wait to see the film! It sounds so good.

***SEMI-SPOILERS below***

They could have put more from the book in it though -- it is only 130 minutes long, and I know fans would have wanted 180 minutes if it meant we got to see Teddy and more on Tonks and Lupin, and Harry's request of Neville to kill the snake if he could ...

I can't wait to see it! I would like to sneak and go tonight while my husband is out of town, but he wants to see it with me, and that would be mean!!! I have to wait for him to come home ... :eek: and then wait until he thinks it is not too crowded!

Thanks for the reviews everyone. Keep them coming.

And no, I do not believe Griphook dies in the book. I am sorry to hear he does in the film!!!

I have to look it up, was Malfoy that wimpy in the book? I didn't think he blatantly went back to be with Voldemort, however reluctantly. And did Griphook die in the book? Those are my main questions.

No, the Malfoys don't sneak away at the end: they are looking for Draco rather than fighting in the final battle. But I think sneaking away fits with there characters, and it more clear for a movie, so I think its ok.

I'm pritty share that we don't hear what happens to Griphook after he leaves Harry etc in the book, and I don't think Rowling has anything about what happened to him later. But Rowling has said that she loths a traitor, so I don't think she would have had a problem with them killing him. ;)

In light of what else has been said, I like to say that I don't have a problem with the movie Ginny, and that I agree that they could have put more in and made it a longer movie.

I LIKED The Malfoy's sneaking away. I like that, however 'bad' they are, they stick as a family together. Always. I love that they leave BEFORE they find out Harry is still alive. Draco comes over and they go. They've had enough. I think that's probably why they were excepted back into wizarding society as they obviously are (judging by Malfoy in the epilogue). Because they left while Voldemort was still in power.

No, the Malfoys don't sneak away at the end: they are looking for Draco rather than fighting in the final battle. But I think sneaking away fits with there characters, and it more clear for a movie, so I think its ok.

I like it better if I think Draco was a little more noble in the end than to blatantly go back to Voldemort.

I just don't think that the director Davi Yates truly understands the story. He was great with the chatacters but terrible with the story.

Positives: the battle at the end was well done. Since that was teh majority of the film, I was happy.

Negatives: Gringotts planning nad break in was too quiick. It was over before I got excited about it.
Rermoval of Arianna story. The last book was about tying up the Dumbledore and Snape characters nicely. That wasn't done as well as could be expected with Dumbledore. That Dumbledore lost most of his family in Godric's Hollow, where Harry also lost his family, was important as was the fact that Dumbledore never got over his sister's death.
The Prince's Tale was too disjointed. I wished it was more smooth and contained Snape's Worst Memory, including where he called Lily a Mudblood.
King's Cross was too quick and not much was added to the plot such as Harry's sacrifice.

Nitpicks: Why couldn't the Polyjuice Potion ever work completely on teh trio or their friends? Not once did they ever sound like the person they looked like. The only person it worked on perfectly in the movies was Barty Crouch Jr when he was Moody.
Reakky? Young Snape and Lily could make birds out of flowers?
The DE army was way too big. We have hundreds of DEs, giants, etc. vs maybe thirty overage wizards and a bunch of underage wizards.

I give it 2.5/4 stars for overall and a 2/4 for adaptation.

Now a question regarding the book that I just noticed this past week after rereading the end. How long were they on the dragon after escaping Gringotts? They woke up to go to Gringotts at 6am. I give them a half hour to get ready and maybe about that liong or 45 minutes to get from Diagon Alley into Gringotts and complete the break in. Definitely not hours.

They escape on the dragon and fly for a while. After landing, they get ashore and Harry realizes they have to get to Hogwarts quickly as Voldy knows they are looking for the Horcruxes. They apparate into Hogsmeade after dark when there was a curfew and spend some time with Aberforth until getting to Hogwarts not too long before 11pm.

So, were they on the dragon for over 12 hours or is there a timeline issue?

MrBob

Back