Any other Wizard of Oz fans here?

I haven't heard of a new Oz? But that plot doesn't sound good at all. I too won't give full judgement on it until I see trailers and images. I think the giving Dorothy shock treatment was a way to show how cruelly children could be treated and to make them forget what their imagination creates, and what turns out not to be imagination, but something real. It's the adults trying to make children grow up to quickly mechanism, which shouldn't be at all.

I love Wizard of Oz. A part of me would love to see a new film in that enviroment, more like the classic book. But a big part of me hpes this doesn't work out.

The original is timeless.

When I was a child my family went to stay with friends while vacationing in the DC area. I got to stay in a room with the complete set of Oz books while we were there and I remember staying up late night after night reading my way through the shelf. I loved the original illustrations although after a while almost all the plots kind of melted together. It was one of my favorite vacation memories though: sneak reading Oz late at night...

I have the complete works of L.Frank Baum on my e-reader now, but have not yet read through them again yet.

Franchise in the modern sense...no. But think of the series of Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathbone. At the beginning, at least, they were all from different stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Not to mention Universal following up Frankenstein with Bride of Frankenstein or Dracula with Son of Dracula. It happened, just not as frequently as it does today.

I just had to say I am so blessed to have inherited many of the original Oz books from my mother. They are not worth as much as they might have been if she had not colored some of the pictures, nor signed her name in them back in the 1930s. Needless to say, that only makes them priceless to me, as she has been in heaven for over 15 years. So these stories are precious to me, and part of who I am.

The Baum Oz stories are available for free for Kindle or Kindle application for your computer.

Last edited:
I just had to say I am so blessed to have inherited many of the original Oz books from my mother. They are not worth as much as they might have been if she had not colored some of the pictures, nor signed her name in them back in the 1930s. Needless to say, that only makes them priceless to me, as she has been in heaven for over 15 years. So these stories are precious to me, and part of who I am.

The Baum Oz stories are available for free for Kindle or Kindle application for your computer.

That's nice to know that your mother signed her name in the back of each book. It was such a sweet thing to read about them being a big part of who you are. That's how much I got the books for my Kindle. It's great to have both hard copies and e-book versions of them.

That's lovely! :) A few of mine are signed (mostly as Christmas gifts from parents to children) and I've often wondered who the people were and wished I could find out. It's nice to actually know and have deep meaning in it.:)

Oh I love all of the Oz books. Read the Baum and Thompson versions. Baum is the best but some of the Thompson books are cute. I love Dorthy and Ozma the best.:D

Not to mention...the movie was MGM's most expensive; besides, in 1939, were franchises really even all that popular movie wise? I can't think of one movie franchise that was started that early...it seems like the sequels, trilogies, etc. were all reserved for a more modern era. Personally, I think you're cheating yourself if you diss the movie because it happens to be different from the book. The film, unlike some adaptations [ :rolleyes: ], is well made and well worth the watch. And I believe it's Judy Garland's finest movie. Just a shame her life got ruined.
Franchise typically were movies series, though not in the modern sense. They were more movies with the same reacurring characters, not unlike TV movies. Notable series included:
-Sherlock Holmes
-The Thin Man
-Topper
-Lassie
-Hopalong Cassidy
-Roy Rogers
-Rin Tin-Tin

I haven't heard of a new Oz? But that plot doesn't sound good at all. I too won't give full judgement on it until I see trailers and images. I think the giving Dorothy shock treatment was a way to show how cruelly children could be treated and to make them forget what their imagination creates, and what turns out not to be imagination, but something real. It's the adults trying to make children grow up to quickly mechanism, which shouldn't be at all.
I believe that plot, was an earlier working of the script, I doubt Disney would release anything of that sort under their Disney banner, nor as part as a family franchise. Considering how endeared the MGM film is, I think it would be bad buisness. There are actually several Oz pictures in the works, when we had an Oz thread here, I made a listing of them. the closest in release is 'Dorothy of Oz' based on the book by Roger S. Baum (non-cannon).
http://dorothyofoz.com/

I love Wizard of Oz. A part of me would love to see a new film in that enviroment, more like the classic book. But a big part of me hpes this doesn't work out.

The original is timeless.
I agree, as much as I love MGM's film (I've got nearly every home video release of my life time XD), it's tone and appearance of Oz differs greatly to Baum's land, and can be a bit overly sugary. I've always been annoyed that out of 40 offical Oz books, plus the series set in other lands in Nonestica (pictured below) that we always get films based on original ideas, and visuals that go back to the MGM movie.
p_oz_map_1.jpg

Your so very lucky!!! It's quite difficult for me to find anything by Thompson, partly because so very few places offer the Oz books, and rarely anything beyond 'Patchwork Girl'. I've been dying to read 'Royal Book of Oz', though I hear it's quite a mess , being her first book.
Oh I love all of the Oz books. Read the Baum and Thompson versions. Baum is the best but some of the Thompson books are cute. I love Dorthy and Ozma the best.:D
I love Dorothy, but Patches and Button Bright are favorites of my own :D

I believe that plot, was an earlier working of the script, I doubt Disney would release anything of that sort under their Disney banner, nor as part as a family franchise. Considering how endeared the MGM film is, I think it would be bad buisness. There are actually several Oz pictures in the works, when we had an Oz thread here, I made a listing of them. the closest in release is 'Dorothy of Oz' based on the book by Roger S. Baum (non-cannon).
http://dorothyofoz.com/

I agree, as much as I love MGM's film (I've got nearly every home video release of my life time XD), it's tone and appearance of Oz differs greatly to Baum's land, and can be a bit overly sugary. I've always been annoyed that out of 40 offical Oz books, plus the series set in other lands in Nonestica (pictured below) that we always get films based on original ideas, and visuals that go back to the MGM movie.
p_oz_map_1.jpg

Your so very lucky!!! It's quite difficult for me to find anything by Thompson, partly because so very few places offer the Oz books, and rarely anything beyond 'Patchwork Girl'. I've been dying to read 'Royal Book of Oz', though I hear it's quite a mess , being her first book.

I love Dorothy, but Patches and Button Bright are favorites of my own :D

I love the map of Oz. I look forward to seeing more about the other Oz adaptations. I hope they do well with them. That's cool that you like Patches. I enjoy all of the characters. But Dorothy, Jack Pumpkinhead and Tic-Toc are three top favorites.

I enjoy when fantasy books have maps of their lands included in the books. It makes such a nice addition to the book and gives a view of when the lands of said country are in relation to eachother. Some of the books that do this are The Hobbit/LOTR, Narnia, A Song Of Ice and Fire, Inheritance Cycle, Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and more.

Last edited:
SQQQQQQQQQQQWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X23455373568

522121_10150929238030954_576969267_n.jpg

*DIES AND GOES TO HEAVEN*

522121_10150929238030954_576969267_n.jpg

*DIES AND GOES TO HEAVEN*

the first thought of mine when I saw this poster: could they have made it look any more like Lord of the Rings/Hobbit? Then my second thought was: how cartoonish. I mean, it's cool to look at...but lacks in originality and looks like an amateur made it.

Apparently, if I'm correct in my assumption based on the press release, the Wicked Witches of the East, West, and Good Witch of the North will be making appearances in the movie. Considering Michelle Williams is the only blonde out of the group cast (Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are the other two cast), I'm guessing she'll be Glinda. If the movie is going back and exploring the origins of some of the characters, it might be one I see. But that's a very big maybe.

the first thought of mine when I saw this poster: could they have made it look any more like Lord of the Rings/Hobbit? Then my second thought was: how cartoonish. I mean, it's cool to look at...but lacks in originality and looks like an amateur made it.

Apparently, if I'm correct in my assumption based on the press release, the Wicked Witches of the East, West, and Good Witch of the North will be making appearances in the movie. Considering Michelle Williams is the only blonde out of the group cast (Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are the other two cast), I'm guessing she'll be Glinda. If the movie is going back and exploring the origins of some of the characters, it might be one I see. But that's a very big maybe.
It will
Though my biggest fear is that they'll ignore the Oz series take on how the Wizard came to Oz
(SPOILER FOR OZ BOOKS)
The Wizard comes to Oz via his hot air balloon into the Kingdom of Oz to the awe of the people who think he's a wizard. Out of fear that the Royal family will find out he's not a wizard, The Wizard rids of the King and hands off the young Princess Ozma to Mombi a minor witch who runs off with her. Attracting the attention of Oz's four witches, including the good Witch Glinda of the South---Oz's most powerful creature, The Wizard hides himself away, until another American named Dorothy appears...
END SPOLIERS

We do know that the China Kingdom will appear, something that's typically excluded from adaptations of the first book. That makes 2 Oz movies that will feature the china Kingdom (the other being 'Dorothy of Oz').
Speaking of 'Dorothy of Oz' here's some photos from the feature, they said we should expect it around the end of the year:
318879_10151017700942668_1418076347_n.jpg

335494_10150565514032668_1007879848_o.jpg

25772_388237957667_2532329_n.jpg

561914_10150756427047668_821566549_n.jpg

It will
Though my biggest fear is that they'll ignore the Oz series take on how the Wizard came to Oz
(SPOILER FOR OZ BOOKS)
The Wizard comes to Oz via his hot air balloon into the Kingdom of Oz to the awe of the people who think he's a wizard. Out of fear that the Royal family will find out he's not a wizard, The Wizard rids of the King and hands off the young Princess Ozma to Mombi a minor witch who runs off with her. Attracting the attention of Oz's four witches, including the good Witch Glinda of the South---Oz's most powerful creature, The Wizard hides himself away, until another American named Dorothy appears...
END SPOLIERS

We do know that the China Kingdom will appear, something that's typically excluded from adaptations of the first book. That makes 2 Oz movies that will feature the china Kingdom (the other being 'Dorothy of Oz').
Speaking of 'Dorothy of Oz' here's some photos from the feature, they said we should expect it around the end of the year:
318879_10151017700942668_1418076347_n.jpg

335494_10150565514032668_1007879848_o.jpg

25772_388237957667_2532329_n.jpg

561914_10150756427047668_821566549_n.jpg

That's one of the reasons I get so frustrated with books being made into movies, because they always cut out details that are sometimes important and explain certain things. It's like leave the books/series that hold a spot dear to my heart and that I feel our my own precious series, and let us fans know all of the details that are behind certain events or characters, and not give us this choppy or changed version of our beloved books.

Agreed :)
I just hope they Include the Good Witch of the North in Disney's Oz. She's never gotten properly done outside of the 1983 Toho Animated movie. BTW, have you seen 'Return to Oz' (1985)?

Yes I have! I actually saw it before the original Wizard of Oz movie. I liked it because Dorothy was about the age I imagined her when reading the books, and also how she looked in my mind when reading them. I have a storybook of RTO with pictures from the movies. I also have another Oz book about all the adaptations that have been done based on the books. I can't remember the title of it at the moment.

Yes I have! I actually saw it before the original Wizard of Oz movie. I liked it because Dorothy was about the age I imagined her when reading the books, and also how she looked in my mind when reading them. I have a storybook of RTO with pictures from the movies. I also have another Oz book about all the adaptations that have been done based on the books. I can't remember the title of it at the moment.
COOL!!! I'd actually wouldn't mind having one of those stuffed Tic-toc's or Cowardly Lions they sold at Disneyland when the movie came out.... Curse of being born 7 years too late.

Back