"Dem Fine Woman"

Copperfox

When a man meets a beautiful woman who is physically much stronger than he is, or who enjoys some other serious advantage, the man will experience one of the following reactions:

1) NO special reaction specifically relating to her advantage, if circumstances are such that the woman's advantage simply doesn't have any effect on the man.

2) Plain trembling fear.

3) An unthinking resentment of her.

4) A desire to possess and control her. (This one may or may not be combined with the previous.)

5) A desire to worship and serve her, possibly daring to hope he'll gain her approval.

6) A desire to ask for her help, if she seems able to give help that he needs.

7) Reasonable admiration; this would be felt by a man who is comfortable inside his own skin.

In "The Magician's Nephew," if Uncle Andrew had known in advance that Jadis was coming, he probably would have been cocky enough at first to imagine that HIS magic could dominate HER. But as it was, Jadis jolted him right into a mix of Options Two and Five.

I found it amusing that after he'd taken to the flask a bit, he had actually convinced himself that she would be interested in him!

I am reading 'The Magician's Nephew' and I could not understand the meaning of 'dem' in the above expression 'dem fine woman'. I have searched on google but didn't get satisfactory results for the context. It says dem is an abbreviation for democrat. I appreciate if you guys help me out. English is not my first language, so I need your help.

Andrew was someone who tried to look at those underneath him in a similar way Jadis looked upon her subjects. The only problem is that the only people he could treat that way were guinea pigs and the children. Otherwise, he was a loser who lived with strong women. Jadis was simply much stronger than his sisters and pure evil and he tried to get in her good graces the same way he did with his sisters, failing miserably.

In the end, he simply didn't see her as evil, just delusionally as an equal and he always looked up to strong women because of his sisters.

When a man meets a beautiful woman who is physically much stronger than he is, or who enjoys some other serious advantage, the man will experience one of the following reactions:

1) NO special reaction specifically relating to her advantage, if circumstances are such that the woman's advantage simply doesn't have any effect on the man.

2) Plain trembling fear.

3) An unthinking resentment of her.

4) A desire to possess and control her. (This one may or may not be combined with the previous.)

5) A desire to worship and serve her, possibly daring to hope he'll gain her approval.

6) A desire to ask for her help, if she seems able to give help that he needs.

7) Reasonable admiration; this would be felt by a man who is comfortable inside his own skin.

In "The Magician's Nephew," if Uncle Andrew had known in advance that Jadis was coming, he probably would have been cocky enough at first to imagine that HIS magic could dominate HER. But as it was, Jadis jolted him right into a mix of Options Two and Five.
Spot on!

Back