Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Janeway, Voyager

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Archer, Enterprise

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other - state who in your post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you want to see how much things have changed I suggest first watching the TOS episode `Space Seed` (one of the best episodes in the whole series), watch ST II:Wrath of Kahn then the recently released movie.
I don`t see how these characters could be the same people.

Oh and about the lens flare thing, this was first done in TV series like Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica series to create a deliberate sense of imperfection to the CGI work and fool the eye into thinking it was real footage shot in space.
However audiences have got wise to this technique now and tend to spot it when used, still using it now to the extent Abrams does is lazy filmmaking!

Last edited:
The deal is though, you cannot regard the characters in the new timeline as the same as the ones in TOS or even the original Wrath of Kahn movie. the changes made in the timeline caused a cascade of changes to the characters: Jim Kirk in the new timeline grew up wild, without a father. Jim Kirk in TOS was quite a different man. So you can see how Jim Kirk in the new timeline would behave differently than the same character in the original timeline. and after the disruption of the timeline, you can see how Starfleet evolved in a more militaristic, fearful and paranoid direction — which makes what they did to Kahn and his people seem more realistic. (If an entire world could be wiped out an entire timeline rewritten, of course they became ever vigilant, to the point of using Kahn and crew as they did.)

I hope this makes sense — I cannot for the life of me remember the actual title of the first Star Trek movie with the new actors for the old characters, so I can't reference this correctly!

It`s probably to late already as the way things are too many changes have happened and this has to be a new varient timeline.
So the events of TNG, Voyager and DS9 probably dont happen in the same way, if they happen at all.

Star Trek Online has a take on this.
They acknowledge the reboot movie, but only minimally.
I think the only references are the destruction of Hobus/Romulus/Remus and the Red Matter material.
The rest of the game proceeds as normal, whenever they talk about TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager, the plot details are as we'd expect them to be, that the alternate past didn't change very much about the way the future progressed.

And the idea that this is an origin story is completely ludicrous.
I'm not a TOS expert, but I know enough of the basic story to know this isn't consistent with canon.
But since I only saw the first movie and didn't bother seeing the second, I can't say how much they are butchering it further.

Well, when I was younger, I saw the Tribble episode and part of Wrath of Khan. The bug crawling out of Chekov's ear (although I didn't know who Chekov was) freaked me out. A year or two ago, I watched an episode of The Next Generation. I was confused, and only Data appealed to me.

Recently, I watched Into Darkness and went 'Name of Bat-Bat! This is Star Trek?' So, I watched Wrath of Khan, and, intrigued, began to watch the original series. I just watched an episode where Kirk split into his light and dark selves. It's kind of like every episode is the weird season opener or middle episode where everything goes nuts.

Gotcha. Yeah, the entirety of TOS is rather corny, though they do have episodes that set it apart as a good show. Trouble with Tribbles, Space Seed, Mirror, Mirror....I'm sure there's others. I haven't watched all of the series though; I'm almost done with season 2. And I agree! I only saw part of Wrath of Khan, and the bug part has stuck with me ever since (obviously, I've seen that movie start to finish since then). It's the one part I remembered the most when I watched the movie for the first time all the way through. Rather creepy, though I have a thing with bugs coming out of people's ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. Ick.

If you want to see how much things have changed I suggest first watching the TOS episode `Space Seed` (one of the best episodes in the whole series), watch ST II:Wrath of Kahn then the recently released movie.
I don`t see how these characters could be the same people.

Oh and about the lens flare thing, this was first done in TV series like Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica series to create a deliberate sense of imperfection to the CGI work and fool the eye into thinking it was real footage shot in space.
However audiences have got wise to this technique now and tend to spot it when used, still using it now to the extent Abrams does is lazy filmmaking!

The director of "Man of Steel" used those stupid lens flares. I watched it the other night and thought, "whoever the director is took too many of Abrams' filmmaking classes!". No, these characters are NOT the same people because Abrams has essentially thrown away the original Trek timeline. His movies exist only outside of Trek canon. Nothing he does or will do will ever be considered true canon. At least to me. But I'm narrow-minded, so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway. :rolleyes:

And he was still playing the role of Spock up until the end.

He was working on the Star Trek mmo by recording voiceovers for specific events.
Obviously that cannot continue now, so I'm uncertain who is going to record those voiceovers from this point on.

And they do need to keep making new ones, when some new episodes are added or additional sectors are added, Leonard came to record dialogue for them.

Tim Russ is still in the game, but I doubt he can carry on the Vulcan legacy because the story restricts him to the Delta Quadrant and Starfleet's Fluidic Space Taskforce.
So if the content isn't about either of those things, he doesn't appear.

Peace and Long Life. Live Long and Prosper.

Make sure to do the Vulcan salute in memoriam. Nimoy made it up on his own based on the Jewish Priestly Blessing where both hands are used.

MrBob

So sorry to see the actor go ... He seemed like a class act. And Spock was always a part of my life, from the time I was little!

I've heard that as well. My concern with it is something that was becoming evident with Enterprise. It wasn't all that family friendly by the time Enterprise rolled out. My worry is that any future Trek series will be crude, crass, and just downright inappropriate for families, which I think was part of the appeal with the older series (particularly TOS and TNG).

I liked all the star treks especially voyager even though I didn't like how they ended it ...... and I didn't like how enterprise ended either .....I like sci-fi and they dont have much I like on tv anymore these days ....I hate the law an order shows and cop shows not to mention the reality shows seems like thats all that is on .....I wish they would get shows back on like the late 70's and 80's . TV was much better back in the day in my opinion.

Star Trek The Original Series is probably my favorite, but it was pretty corner by today's standards. Still, I really loved the original characters. I am kind of happy that they're bringing them back in movies, in a new way. The original series was only on TV for a few seasons, so they didn't get all the time and character development that the later series got.

^If you want to see TOS given appropriate treatment, check out Star Trek: Continues on YouTube. They're an hour long (free!), but to me their episodes are more appropriate to what Roddenberry had in mind than Abrams' versions. They're fan made and fan supported through donations, so they only release/make an episode when they have the money to.

I agree dawna, I did not like Voyager's ending or Enterprise's ending. Enterprise had THE worst series finale of all the series.

I had not heard of that. I'll save it to my 'watch later' list. :) I have a crappy internet connection at night, so I can't watch much YouTube past a certain hour. :rolleyes:

Back