Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I love the movies, but haven't read the books yet

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I'm all about the movies - forget the books

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • What books?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Indeed so! By stopping with Dawn Treader, we are deprived of watching Eustace as he grows in goodness and faith. Plus we miss out on meeting Jill Pole AT ALL, not to mention Puddleglum. (Reminds me, Tom Baker made a great Puddleglum for BBC.)

Sad to say, if Disney DID make a movie of Silver Chair, they would inevitably change the whole premise of the boarding school. Disney would make it be a Christian school, and would pretend that Christianity BY ITS VERY NATURE was what CAUSED the cruelty and abuse.

A huge problem with the films, good though they are, is that we didn't get all of them. It is as if the studio lacked faith in their own creation.
I agree! I would have loved to see the original kids grow up in the films! It makes me very sad they didn't continue with them. I loved that kid who played Eustace ... it would have been great to see him again, and as CF says, to meet Jill!
Sad to say, if Disney DID make a movie of Silver Chair, they would inevitably change the whole premise of the boarding school. Disney would make it be a Christian school, and would pretend that Christianity BY ITS VERY NATURE was what CAUSED the cruelty and abuse.
Wow, that is very likely right? I don't know if you remember, and this was probably a couple decades back now, a film version of "The Secret Garden," which included a bonfire with the little heroine and her cousin with the disability and their farmboy friend chanting for the "great magic" to bring the father/uncle home -- a scene which certainly did NOT happen in the book. A scene from the book which they left out was: when the cleaned-up garden actually bloomed, seemingly overnight, the little girl and the farmboy (sorry I forgot all the names!) and the old gardener walk into the walled garden and see what has happened, and it feels magical -- and the old gardener takes off his hat and holds it over his heart and begins singing the Doxology (Praise God from whom all blessings flow ...). Their sincere response to the seeming miracle is a hymn of praise to God. I couldn't help thinking that beautiful scene in the film got replaced with the bonfire and the magic chant!

Granted that would be more entertaining to young folks watching a movie today than a hymn.

Oh yes, I remember the occult element force-fed to us in that movie.

The farm boy, who's like a juvenile Tom Bombadil, is named Dickon.
Dickon! How could I forget! Thanks!
I would have at least liked to have seen the revelation that was lurking in the Professor's past be revealed.
YES! That would have been so cool. I would like to see all the books brought to life on the screen. It's a shame they stopped with VDT.

I fear you may have to rely on fan fics; I don't think Lewis' estate will allow anyone to write new books with the characters. Comic books are another matter, but they would be the same stories we already have, if they were made.

I'm a fan of the a books, though I do enjoy the movies for what they are. Are they perfect? Far from it. Though I kind of lean towards the first two than the third when it comes to the movies. Overall, I lean towards the books, but still enjoy the movies for what they are.

The books are indelible and irreplaceable. I was very mistrustful of the movies, as it seems so very hard for the cinema to keep to book, "artistic license" and all that. In spite of that, I very much wanted to see what could be done with them, if they were done well. To that end, I loved TLTWaTW movie. As far as movie adaptations go, they did a stellar job, always allowing for "artistic license ", which, I frankly don't get. If a book is good enough to make a movie from, it's good enough to make the movie like the book!

Anyway the first movie was done very well, and we loved it. PC was good as well, but I took issue with the unnecessary power struggle between Pater and Caspian, and the equally unnecessary love interest arc between Susan and Caspian...but, what can you do?

VotDT was highly disappointing. All sorts of variations from the book and no Dufflepuds!! It did have some redeeming qualities, however. Reepicheep, obviously 😊, Lucy, although with an unnecessarily altered personality was still a gem, but the unexpected winner of the whole affair was the absolutely perfect casting for Eustace Clarence Scrubb!!! Perfection.

Also, it must be noted, that it was brought to my attention after I spent what must have been a total of 20 mins mildy fussing at the screen throughout PC and an unknown amount of time on my feet loudly fussing at the screen during DT, that perhaps I was taking the movies a bit too seriously!!😆😆🤣 I had to agree and cooled my heels, deciding to take the movies as forms of entertainment (working hard to loosen my hold on the much beloved characters which helped shaped my childhood....and adulthood🤣😂) and in the end enjoyed them in their own rights. They're well made movies, very entertaining, and what else can you really expect from a movie.

I, actually, learned a valuable lesson from that, believe it or not, concerning how seriously I take things, and how dogged and intractable I can be sometimes, which doesn't commend itself to a Christian woman, or any woman, or , really anyone. So once again, Lewis, in a round about way helped me learn and grow.🥰

Back