Peepiceek's Odd-One-Out Quiz

Is anyone going to have a go at the remaining three, or shall I reveal the answers?

Here are five new ones to play with. I think most of them are fairly easy, #54 especially so, although #55 may be a bit trickier.

#51.
(a) The White Witch’s wand
(b) Corradin’s head
(c) The ropes that bound Trumpkin
(d) The Silver Chair

#52.
(a) Geoffrey Corbett, LWW
(b) Nicholas Hardie, HHB
(c) Mary Clare Havard, PC
(d) The Kilmer Family, TLB

#53.
(a) The toffees in the bag
(b) The eagles at Stormness Head
(c) The steps at Cair Paravel
(d) The days of the storm

#54.
(a) Avra
(b) Doorn
(c) Felimath
(d) Galma

#55.
(a) Caspian to Nikabrik
(b) Peter to Miraz
(c) Drinian to Caspian
(d) Tirian to the dwarves

Peeps

Last edited:
#51.
(a) The White Witch’s wand
(b) Corradin’s head
(c) The ropes that bound Trumpkin
(d) The Silver Chair

I start with this one. The wand was cut down by a sword, as was the chair, and the head was lopped off by a sword. But the robes were cut by a pocket knife instead of a sword.

Or you could go it this way. Edmund cut down the wand, the head by swords, and the robes with his knife, but the chair was cut down by Rilian.

Last edited:
#52 is a bit confusing. Those are all the people whom C S Lewis dedicated his CON books to, but only Mary Clare Havard is correctly associated with the book that was dedicated to her.

All correct. #51, the sword connection was the one I had in mind. All were cut with swords, except the ropes because, although Peter's sword would have been sharper, it is impractical for such close work.

#52 and #54, exactly right.

Peeps

#53.
(a) The toffees in the bag
(b) The eagles at Stormness Head
(c) The steps at Cair Paravel
(d) The days of the storm

The number associated with a, b, and d are all multiples of 3, while the steps at Cair Paravel being 16 is not.

That's rather more mathematical a connection than I had in mind, though it is to do with counting. In any case, technically your answer is incorrect, though to explain why would be to give the answer away.

Peeps

How about the number of days of a storm being the odd one out, because though they were counted like the other possibilities there was a dispute as to the correct count.

That is what we were looking for. All were things that were counted, but the number of the days of the storm was a matter of dispute, while the others were all agreed.

That leaves #55, as well as the other three that haven't yet been solved.

Peeps

Sorry, you need to be a lot more specific than that. There are loads of relationships that could fit that description, but these four are quite specifically chose. The way round matters too. It's not 'Drinian AND Caspian' but 'Drinian TO Caspian'.

Peeps

That is true, but again there is something more specific, that I think probably fits only these four (or possibly there might be one or two other examples at most). Something that was said (or written, in Peter's case).

Peeps

#55.
(a) Caspian to Nikabrik
(b) Peter to Miraz
(c) Drinian to Caspian

I was gonna say all were rightful kings versus people who did not want them to be their king, with Drinian odd-one-out as Caspian respected his captain.

But it looks like it's more about what's said (or written). I'm struggling to find themes and the relevant dialogues eclipse my memory. A hint? :eek:

I will give #55 a try:

#55.
(a) Caspian to Nikabrik
(b) Peter to Miraz
(c) Drinian to Caspian

Caspian accused Nikabrik of treason, Peter accused Miraz of treason, and Tirian accused the dwarves of treason. But Drinian accused himself of treason to Caspian in SC.

So, these three are still live. Since no-one has had a go at them for a long time, I'll post the answers invisibly here for those who want them, but you can still work on them if you want to without looking at the answers. There's also one new one below.

#44.
(a) “Mustard, please.”
(b) “S-s-s-h, less noise.”
(c) “The Elephant is quite right.”
(d) “Well, I’ll take the offer.”

Timmy correctly sourced the quotes as being from (a) one of the sleeping lords, (b) Jill, speaking to Eustace and Tirian during their night journey to the stable, (c) the Tapir in TMN during the dicussion on what to do with Uncle Andrew and (d) the Telmarine soldier who volunteers to walk through the door in the air.

I have also said that the quote from the odd one out gives a clue as to the connection between the other three, and that the person speaking in each quote is relevant, but the person spoken to is not.

Answer: (a), (c) and (d) are the only lines spoken in the Chronicles by their respective characters, while (b) is an instruction to others to speak less, but by someone who speaks a lot in the books.

#46.
(a) Uncle Andrew
(b) The Hermit of the Southern March
(c) Lucy
(d) Tirian

I have said that it relates to a specific thing that they did (or that happened to them), and that the Lucy example comes from VDT. Tirian has correctly suggested that it involves spying on or watching people.

Answer: (b), (c) and (d) all viewed others at a distance by magic (the Hermit saw the Battle of Anvard, Lucy saw here friends talking about her, Tirian saw the seven friends of Narnia). Uncle Andrew did not see anyone in this way, but Jadis assumed that he had, and this was the reason for him sending Digory and Polly to Charn.

Quote:
#48. (I'll accept either of two equally reasonable answers on the same theme)
(a) Bree
(b) Aravis
(c) Peter & Edmund
(d) Tirian, Eustace & Jill

Tirian has come very close to cracking this, correctly identifying that the connection is about disguises. Since there are two possible odd ones out here, I have revealed one of them, with a hint as to the reason, to enable you to work out the other, which has a similar but slightly different reason.
So, one of the odd ones out is Bree, and the hint is that it's "Bree (but not Hwin)".

Answer: So, Bree was the odd one out because his disguise was the only one that was seen through (by the guard at the gate of Tashbaan). Alternatively, Tirian, Eustace & Jill could be the odd one out, because they were the only ones to reveal themselves (to the dwarves and their Calormene guards).

Here's the new one:
#56.
(a) "That's likely enough to be true."
(b) "Compose yourself and tell us what the danger is."
(c) "Out ours for Narnia."
(d) "Mustard, please."

Peeps

I thought I would add an Odd-One-Out problem. I think this will be easy.

#T1

a) "Welcome, Peter, Son of Adam,"
b) "Welcome, child,"
c) "They shall see only my back,"
d) "I have been here all the time,"

My first though is that they are the first words spoken by Aslan in different books, except (c) which is his last words in TSC. (a) is in LWW and (d) is VDT. Is (b) from PC?

Peeps

Back