Peepiceek's Odd-One-Out Quiz

I'll try a simple answer to #50. All of these animals were set free at some time during the story which they were part of , but the Reindeer were expected to return to the Queen's castle and thus to captivity.

That's another good answer (which also isn't the one I had in mind!), although I'm not sure Snowflake was really 'set free' so I'm not sure this answer works so well.

Peeps

I've been working on #44. Peep doesn't seem to want to give any more clues, as seen after all the work I did on #50. It took me a while to find those quotes, but I found the text of all the CON on line (wow) and I converted it to pdf so I could do a search.
(a) is from VDT, spoken by one of the three sleeper while being encouraged to wake up.
(b) is from LB, spoken by Jill to Eustace who was talking to King Tirian about Jill's skills as a tracker.
(c) is from MN, spoken by a Tapir to a bunch of other animals about Uncle Andrew.
(d) is from PC, spoken by a Telmarine soldier to Aslan about his decision to go though the magic door.
I am not sure about any correlation but it is something to start with.
P.S. I won't play Narnia Quotes Quiz with my search engine.

Last edited:
Ah, well, with #50, there really isn't any clue I could give you to the answer I had in mind without just giving you the answer. But I did credit at least one and arguably both of your alternative answers as having an equivalent status to getting the answer I had in mind. Inevitably these things are sometimes susceptible of multiple correct answers, so I'll credit any that work, even if it wasn't what I thought of.

Regarding #44, you are correct in the attributions of the quotes, and you are on the right lines to wonder about who said them. The clue as to the connection between the three not-odd speakers is contained in the quote from the fourth. I don't know if that clue makes sense... but it's the best I can offer without giving you the answer.

Peeps

Edit: Actually, there is one clue I can give you on #50. If you've been following my comments on the "Things you'd never noticed" thread, you may find a hint there.

Last edited:
On #50, I know that Hwin doesn't have a white coat, like all the other animals listed but I wasn't sure that qualified as making her odd out, unless you mean that while all those are listed are animals only Hwin isn't white.

Last edited:
On #50, I know that Hwin doesn't have a white coat, like all the other animals listed but I wasn't sure that qualified as making her odd out, unless you mean that while all those are listed are animals only Hwin isn't white.
That is indeed the answer I had in mind. The more I think about this question, the less I like it. It really doesn't meet my usual high quality control standards for these questions, so in hindsight I wish I hadn't posted it at all. But well done for this and your other answers to it :)

Peeps

Ok I will try to answer this one
#44.
(a) “Mustard, please.”
(b) “S-s-s-h, less noise.”
(c) “The Elephant is quite right.”
(d) “Well, I’ll take the offer.”

Theses are all statements spoken from one person to another person to some extent.
(a) one sleeping knight to another sleeping knight.
(b) one child to another child.
(c) one talking animal to another talking animal.
(d) but here it is a Telmarine to Aslan, so this is the odd one out.

Last edited:
Yup, #44, #46, #48, and #49 are the ones still open. I think #49 is the easiest. If you're reasonably familiar with the Chronicles, the answer should be quickly apparent.

In #44, Jill was speaking to Tirian and Eustace both, and the Tapir to a number of other animals, not just one, so that wouldn't quite work. I like your thinking, but it isn't the connection I was looking for. As I said, there is a small clue as to the connection in the quote from the odd one out. I will also say that the person speaking in each quote is relevant, but the person spoken to is not.

By the way, if you or anyone else want to make some odd-one-out questions up, feel free to post them here. I enjoy solving as well as setting puzzles :)

Peeps

Last edited:
I will do two puzzles. I don't know where my numbering stopped, so I will move it to a new number to start:

1001:
a) Frank
b) Caspian XIII
c) Lune
d) Mr. Pevensie

Hint, wives count in this, too.

1002:
a) Aravis
b) Shasta
c) Bree
d) Hwin

MrBob

Hmm, don't even know where to begin with 1002 - since they're all major characters in the same book... might need a hint or two!

For 1001, don't know, but since you mention wives I'll post some info to start us thinking...
Frank and his wife Helen were both taken from this world to Narnia, where they became king and queen. They had several children including at least two sons, I think.
Caspian VIII - don't know about his wife, but they were the parents of Caspian IX and Miraz.
Lune's wife died when the children were young, but they had twin boys, Cor and Corin.
Mr and Mrs Pevensie had four children, including two sons, Peter and Edmund.

So they all had at least two sons, but we don't know the names of Frank & Helen's sons. Could they be the odd ones out for that reason?

It's also the case that Mr & Mrs Pevensie were the only ones never to be king and queen, but is that too obvious an answer?

Peeps

Wait, I think I have it. They all fathered two kings, except Lune whose second son Corin was prevented from becoming king by the reappearance of his older brother Cor.

It could also be that they all fathered kings, but Mr Pevensie was not himself a king. But I don't like that answer as much because it wouldn't explain why you chose Caspian VIII as one of the clues.

I'll take a punt on a couple of answers for 1002, both of which have Aravis as the odd one out.
Either: they were all going to the North, but the others were returning to their birthplaces, whereas Aravis was escaping from hers.
Or: they were all sold into slavery, except Aravis who dressed up as Lasraleen's slave in order to navigate the Tisroc's palace.

Peeps

Last edited:
Ok, I've got some new ones! We'll start out with an easy one followed by some that are hopefully (especially for Peeps) difficult. Have at it everybody!

15B
A. A little Tick
B. Poltroon
C. Record Stinker
D. Only an Ass

16B
A. Rhindon
B. Jadis
C. Rilian
D. Argoz

17B
A. Calormen
B. London
C. Underland
D. Lantern Waste

18B
A. Jill
B. Lasaraleen
C. Glenstorm
D. Miraz

I'll put my answer to 15B invisibly to give others a chance to have a look...

(a) is spoken by Eustace of his former self, whereas the others are spoken of his current self by others - (b) by Reepicheep and the other two by Edmund.

16B, not sure. But Rhindon is the name of Peter's sword. Rilian and Argoz were both lost and searched for. Ah, Digory went looking for Jadis in London too... Hmmm, will think.

17B and 18B, nothing jumping out at me.

Peeps

Correct odd-one-out and reasoning on 15B, except that C. was not spoken by Edmund. From whom did the reference "record stinker" come?

I am a bit confused tse, Edmund did say "record sticker" about Eustace in VDT. Here is the reference:
"But it's far worse for me," said Edmund, "because you'll at least have a room of your own and I shall have to share a bedroom with that record stinker, Eustace."

Okay, I'll take a long-shot stab at 17B: Calormen, because it was the only place never ruled or intended to be ruled by one of the witches who plagued Narnia.

(How's that for far-fetched?)

Peep, you were correct with Lune being the odd one out as he only had one son of multiple sons as king.

You were also in the same vein as what I was thinking with the other question. Aravis was the one as she was the only one of the main characters who was escaping who hadn't been kidnapped.

MrBob

I'm going to take an even more audacious attempt on 17B.

The Magician's Nephew (Digory) lived in London, and returned there after his adventure.
The Silver Chair was located in Underland, and remained there.
The Last Battle took place in Lantern Waste.
The Horse and his Boy (Bree and Shasta) both lived in Calormen, but then left it permanently in order to move north.

(a) Calormen is therefore the odd one out.

It's got to be worth a point, even if it wasn't what you had in mind!!

Is 16B about enchantments? Jadis and Argoz both had an enchanted sleep (Jadis by choice, Argoz as a result of clutching the stone knife). Rilian was enchanted so that he didn't know who he was. Rhindon seemed to have been miraculously preserved from rust... oh, I've just checked and it is Susan's bowstring of which it is said "Whether there was some magic in the air or not", it had been preserved. Hmmmmmm.....

Peeps

Last edited:
Ok, 16B is about the Stone Knife. Rhindon (Peter's sword) came into contact with the Stone Knife at the Battle of Beruna. So, obviously, did Jadis. Argoz fell into an enchanted sleep after touching the Stone Knife (actually, I don't think the text specifies which of the three sleeping lords took up the knife). So Rilian is the odd one out, though I'm not sure why he has been selected rather than any of the other multitude of characters.

Am I close?

18B is a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm struggling to find anything that connects these characters. I have had two ideas, but I don't think either of them is right. One is about stars... Glenstorm watches the stars, and Jill also navigated by them. The conjunction of two planets presaged Miraz's downfall and also he forbade navigation. But Lasaraleen doesn't seem to have any connection - it talks about the moon but nothing to do with stars. My other possibility was about ordering silence - Miraz orders Caspian to stop crying, Glenstorm orders everyone to be quiet for Caspian's speech (except I just looked that up and it seems to be Pattertwig who actually tells people to be quiet), Jill tells Eustace and Tirian to be quiet, while Lasaraleen is threatened by Aravis that Aravis will scream if Lasaraleen doesn't help her escape. But neither of those is looking very convincing as a line of enquiry to me. Is anything I said relevant to the right answer?

Peeps

Last edited:
Back