shmeepie

The Hobbit

are they making the hobbit into a movie? i saw some rumours flying around, but i wasn't sure if there was any truth behind them...

They probably will some time, but I don´t now when. I can´t wait for it and it would be cool if they made Silmarillion too.

I doubt it will happen in the very near future. I mean, Peter Jackson's doing HALO next.
Halo. Every time I think about it, tears spring to my eyes...

I hope they don't do The Silmarillion or The Hobbit. Considering how much they screwed up the ones they've done, I shudder to think what a Silmarillion movie would be like.

Elf Of The Grey Havens said:
I hope they don't do The Silmarillion or The Hobbit. Considering how much they screwed up the ones they've done, I shudder to think what a Silmarillion movie would be like.

how did they mess them up? i thought they did a wonderful job, and i've read all three books. they HAD to cut out some stuff, otherwise the movie would have been 10 hours long each.

Not to mention the fact that a movie is not a book....eh, I'm not going to get into this.

Crunchine said:
how did they mess them up? i thought they did a wonderful job, and i've read all three books. they HAD to cut out some stuff, otherwise the movie would have been 10 hours long each.
Well, they didn't have to cut as much as they did. For instance, maybe they could have done the movies two to a book (especially considering each "book" was actually written as two books). Jackson also totally messed up the story, in many major points. Mezzored Charachter 1: Aragorn. Where did the bull about him being tempted by the ring and wanting to take it from Frodo in the first one come from? (The bit right after Boromir tried to take it) Also he was kinda a weakling. Mezzored Charachter 2: Arwen. They made her too... extreme. When you first saw her, she was like Xena: Warrior Princess. Ain't no one messin' with Arwen daughter of Elrond Halfelven. That's innacurate to the story, though. Later, she was the other extreme. In the bit about Elrond trying to get her to go to the Grey Havens, she was like uber weak-spirited. Mezzored Charachter 3: Elrond Halfelven. For reason mentioned above, in trying to get Arwen to leave middle-earth. He may not have agreed with her marrying Aragorn, but he did not try to interfere. His only conditions were that Aragorn bring the old kingdom back together. Which Aragorn did. So Elrond had no qualms. Mezzored Charachter 4: Faramir son of Denethor. he was not the weak little pansy they showed him as. He never tried to bring the ring back to Gondor. He never was even tempted by its power. He just left them in Ithilein and went on his way. Mezzored Charachter 5: Denethor son of Ecthelion. He was not a control freak, nor a glutton. He would never have ardered an attack on the lost city. He would have kept his men in Minas Tirith where they would be safe, and could help defend. There are many many more, and also some major plot flaws, but I gro weary of typing. Either you care enough about the story to have noticed, or you don't.

Caring about the story does not necessarily mean saying the movies were terrible. Mistakes were made, but you can certainly understand the logic behind some of it.

I join in with Elf here in expressing some disappointment in Jackson's departure from the books. But then again, like many others on this forum, I'm a purist. It cannot be helped. ;)

The movies were excellent in their own right, and did something that previous generations would have given anything to have done: Jackson brought Lord of the Rings to life!

I long for the day, however, when there will be an even better rendition, staying much, much truer to the books, that will give us the characters exactly as they were (i.e. no Gandalf becoming a whimp in the face of the Witch-king, Denethor turning stupid-crazy, or Saruman being 100% pure evil - the storyline of the books went much deeper than what was given to audiences in PJ's films).

Hurry up, someone! Bring us Lord of the Rings just as it was! (But could we still have Christopher Lee show up as Saruman? ;)).

I agree with Elf as well. IMO, Jackson's LOTR movies, although excellent works in themselves, are not true to the story that Tolkien wrote. It's not so much about the events portrayed in or cut from the movies as it is about the characters and the themes. Jackson just missed the boat on a lot of it. It's like he just couldn't understand the nobility of Tolkien's characters... I wonder why that would be? :rolleyes:

I feel very differently about the characters that are in Tolkien's books and Peter Jackson's interpretations in the movie. Movies and books are two different elements of media. I felt Jackson captured the heroism and the nobility of the characters just fine, especially with regards to the actors who portrayed them. A film is the director's interpretation of the books, and it's impossible to create a film that is EXACTLY like the books for any number of reasons.

I am not a purist regarding books and movies, though with some works of literature, I may have criticisms regarding how the plot line or events are done in the movie version.

To me Jackson did the best job anyone could ever hope to do in filming the trilogy. I hope he does as well when or if he films the Hobbit.

Mrs Gil-Galad Took said:
I have no clue. PJ said it would take a very long time and it does. I wish they would film the Silmarillion.

that would be kool if they did the Sil.

does anyone know when the hobbit comes out???

pacifiquesea said:
I doubt it will happen in the very near future. I mean, Peter Jackson's doing HALO next.
Halo. Every time I think about it, tears spring to my eyes...

Halo!? You've got tobe kidding me! They have to make the Hobbit into a film or else......................I don't know they just have to.

That is Eragon. The Hobbit is not even made yet. It is not even clear when it will be made. I signed a petition once about: Let the hobbit happen.
There are so many people who signed it, but there is no result yet. No clear result. :(

that stinks!! i love the hobbit. it is my probably my fav, out of all the lotr books. not just the 3 main ones.

fotr
ttt
rotk

I first loved the LOTR books the most till I read the Silmarillion. I loved the LOTR mostly because of the Hobbits. But the Sil has something magical. All the different elvish races and how evil was growing. I would love to see this as a movie. But I am curious about the Hobbit and if Andy Serkis will play Gollum again.

Did you ever see the old animated Rankin Bass version of the Hobbit? In there, Gollum looked like a dark frog...with these huge, telescopic like eyes.

I doubt we'll see the Hobbit anytime before 2010, I'm serious.

Back