A Song of Fire and Ice aka Game of Thrones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Song of Fire and Ice is a great series. :D Found it hard to put the books down. Looking forward to the next books... (Hurry up and write them! ... No, don't, I want things to be well thought out! Errr...)

Also enjoy the TV series, though haven't seen most of the second series. At least for now I have read the books to fill in the gaps.

That's awesome that you like them too! I too am waiting for the final two books.

I've seen the first three SEASONS ;) of the TV show and I loved it. But reading the books changes the way I see a lot of the characters. I think the TV portrayals are pretty faithful to the book characters, but knowing their inward thoughts makes me like some characters a lot more and others a lot less.

I like Jon Snow a lot more in the books because, since he's a very introverted character, a lot of his personality and likablity comes from his thought process. That's hard to convey on the TV show.

On the other hand I really don't like Catelyn Stark at all in the novels where I was very sympathetic toward her in the TV show.

I agree with you about getting the thoughts of characters in the books, and not fully achieving that on the television series. I also agree that they are doing a faithful adaptation to the plot of the books. I love your banner a lot. It features my favorite character from the series Daenerys Targaryen.

Game of Thrones

Sorry if this topic has already been broached, but when doing a search my browser kept locking up. Anyways, Game of Thrones on HBO and the book series by George R.R. Martin has been a smashing commercial success. Having followed the show for the past 4 seasons I understand the draw, it's definitely compelling, BUT, there's an overarching theme to the story - that of hopelessness, despair and ultimately meaningless. I would've said it mirrors the real world but it doesn't; it's worse. Whereas most people would like to visit a Narnia or a Middle Earth, most would take a pass at venturing into Westeros. Whether by accident or design, Martin has illustrated a world devoid of God's love, mercy and redemption. There are many a times watching it where you think "What's the point?"

$0.02

Sorry if this topic has already been broached, but when doing a search my browser kept locking up. Anyways, Game of Thrones on HBO and the book series by George R.R. Martin has been a smashing commercial success. Having followed the show for the past 4 seasons I understand the draw, it's definitely compelling, BUT, there's an overarching theme to the story - that of hopelessness, despair and ultimately meaningless. I would've said it mirrors the real world but it doesn't; it's worse. Whereas most people would like to visit a Narnia or a Middle Earth, most would take a pass at venturing into Westeros. Whether by accident or design, Martin has illustrated a world devoid of God's love, mercy and redemption. There are many a times watching it where you think "What's the point?"

$0.02
I have never watched the show or read the books, but I found you some other posts that weigh-in on your conversation (threads merged). :)

Westeros isn't a favourable place to live in - but then it seems to echo the real medieval world quite a lot, so you wouldn't really want to live back in time, either.

Well, another series over and now I'm very keen to re-read the books! I still have a preference to the novels and there are a few changes to series from the book which seem a shame - and ver gruesome scenes that seem to be for gruesome's sake. Still good watching, though!

I apologize to those who are vested in Game of Thrones and Song of Fire and Ice, and in the threads that have been discussing them. However the current media adaptations (and portions of the book series) are violent, sexually explicit and profane -- and as such do not fit in the scope of this forum no matter how brilliant the plot or writer's craft. I wish I had seen this thread earlier so I would not have the unpleasant task of cutting off an ongoing discussion. But this thread is getting a Yale and will will be sent on a vacation on the Sea of Forgetfulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back