The Space Trilogy

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
My friend told me about this. Said its the grownup version of narnia. Said its is completely amazing. That it talks about good versus evil, and lewis states both sides so well that he was switching sides and what he believed, cause the reasoning on both sides was so well done. I have not read them yet, but i really want to. Sounds really good. If only i had no school next semester i'd get to them soon, lol.

tg

Oh, do read them. They ARE awesome indeed. I especially liked Perelandra. These books make you look at things all new and different. I haven't finished "That hideous strength" because it seemed pretty long and stretched, not getting to the point and not half as good as Perelandra. Now i'm on The Chronicles of Narnia and maybe after that i'll pick up the last of the space trilogy again and finish that one.

Cool, thanks for the comment on those, haven't heard of too many people that have read em.

tg

The Space Trilogy is awesome.

Bit of a complicated read - not exactly like Narnia, different story entirely. Perelandra being the best of the set.

If you enjoy that sort of style, i recommend Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead. Sort of along a similar line.

over here its called the Cosmic Trilogy.

I started reading them when I was 12. I read Out of the Silent Planet, and Perelandra, but only started That Hideous Strength but it confused me lol.

I just looked in my Wardrobe and found it in there so decided I might read it again and might try actually finishing That Hideous Strength once I finish the other 2.

cool colin, give me your more "mature" opinion on them then once you have gone that far. Cause i'm a bit busy with the wheel of time series now, and thats gonna take me all year at least to read i think.

tg

Well I read the first 2 and liked them, but i began the third one and never finished it. The ones I read were great, really good, and they do make you think. I would recomend them :)

Hmmmmm. It seems no one actually finishes the last one lol. I reckon its a bit heavy right at the beginning. Or at least thats what I thought 7 or so years ago.

Tim. I'll be as mature as I can when I give you my opinion. So expect the opinion of a 10 yr old :p

Hey! So few people have read the space trilogy. I guess they just don't know what they are missing. They are really cool. Oddly enough, I would have to say that I really enjoyed Hideous Strength, and have read it twice. It is really different from the first two, and has a very strange and twisted plot (hmm maybe that says some thing about me....) The first two really do have to do with space travel and are really neat as well, but HS is more like an end of the world sce-fi with connections to the other two. I liked the whole temptation thing that goes on in Perelandra, the similarities and differences between it and the Garden of Eden are really thought provoking. I really think when they get done with the new Narnia movies they should make some of the space trilogy.

Well thats brings me hope to know that you like the last book, so at least someone out there likes at least one of the books most. So i'm good then.

tg

Yes, the Space Trilogy it AWESOME! I have to read it again... hearing you guys talk about it is whetting my appetite :p Hideous Strength is pretty different from the first two, but after I made it through it I decided I liked it best, probably because of the references to (and interesting combinations of) Anglo/Celtic/Greek/Roman mythology. You definitely have to read them all, guys. :) And those of you who haven't finished Hideous Strength, give it another shot. I promise you it's worth it ;)

I've never heard of them, now I'm interested. There not one of those really hard to find books, right? Like I could go to barnes and noble and easily pick them up??

Hooray! So I'm not the only one daunted by the tiny print and confusing plot of That Hideous Strength! I read the first two, and liked them a lot-- though the Darwin-bashing in Perelandra got on my nerves. Hmm, woudn't it be odd if the Mars rover encountered a handramit?

And they're not at all hard to find. I found the first two at my library... and sort of unofficially "borrowed" the third one from a vacation house.

Originally posted by Y. Fish@Mar 6 2004, 10:02 PM
Hmm, woudn't it be odd if the Mars rover encountered a handramit?

Funny, Y. Fish, but that's exactly what I thought when I first heard about the new Mars rover! :lol:

This has got to be my favorite of everything I've ever read by C.S. Lewis. What an incredible story! As with anything he's written, these books opened up so many different avenues of thought and theology to me - things I'd thought about, but maybe couldn't put into words. What do you think of these books?

I started reading the first one and I didn't get very far. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about and why this guy was having all these strange adventures. If someone could explain it to me, I'd be extremely grateful!

You have to keep reading before you find out what's going on! The basic premise of Out of the Silent Planet is that a professor, Dr. Ransom, is kidnapped and taken to an alien world, which we later find out is another planet in our solar system. There he meets the inhabitants and begins to get an inkling that this trip is a part of something much bigger and more cosmic than he could imagine. Each book expands a bit on what this 'something bigger' is. But you have to try again, and just have fun with the wacky adventures. They're interesting!

I am at the beginning of the third one right now. I love all of the theological implications. Oh, at the end of the second book, when Ransom (interesting name, don't ya think?) is shown a part of the "great dance". Also the whole allegory of the "center". It's kinda still over my head, but God is opening my eyes.

Back