Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

Christopher Lloyd probably couldn't play the part because of his age. It would be a hard strain for a man in his mid 70s. James Wood is 66 now and he may be a bit to old for the part too. Look for an English actor to play the part.

^Like Peter Capaldi? he's kinda got the looks of Puddleglum... but he'll probably be too busy being the new 12th Doctor...

I think for Puddleglum they need a good old English actor above the middle age mark who'll bring the character to life- but i have high hopes they'll cast this character right!

As for Eustace and Jill, they'll probably turn it into a romance if they are cast as teenagers as thats what most viewers want and i'm ok with that as long as it is not in your face and not soppy at all. I wouldn't like it to be like the Susan and Caspian one because that is too common. No, if they do turn it into a romance then its nicer if it's subtle and sweet and only the audience see it. Besides, a full blown romance wouldn't work well for The Last Battle.

Until he found romantic love himself, Mister Lewis was leaning TOO far away from depicting it in stories. Male-female love and marriage ARE a normal part of life, and it was frankly silly for Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer NOT to get married eventually. "But they were friends!" some will reply -- to which my counter-reply is, "You can be friends AND be spouses! It works just fine!"

That being said, Mister Lewis wrote what he wrote; and it should not be tampered with lightly.

The discussion is going well and there are very good ideas for the film here. I want to give this new company a chance and I'm hoping they learn from the mistakes of the last two movies. I'm hoping for the best!

Amen, B-King. Meanwhile, I've had an inspiration regarding the casting of Puddleglum. His part could be played by the actor (though I forget the man's name) who played Baltar in the newer version of "Battlestar Galactica."

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this, but I hope Peter Dinklage comes back as Trumpkin for his brief appearance .Say what you will about the Prince Caspian fill, Dinklage was one of the best parts and he was brilliantly cast in the roll. I'm sure he'd go to town on the roll. Sure he may have TV commitments, but if Peter Jackson and co could work The Hobbit shooting schedule around Martin Freeman's commitments to the BBC Sherlock, then the brief roll of Trumpkin should be easy peasy.

I would love for them to stay as true to the book as possible. If romance is involved, I won't mind it if it made sense. Do you know what I mean?

Oh I agree, it will be fabulous if Peter Dinklage comes back as Trumpkin! And I agree, he was wonderful in PC film. "I am a grownup," he mumbles when Susan tells the Pevensies to stop trying to act like grown-ups. That always cracks me up! He's wonderful, and I definitely want to see him again.

And I agree with this thought: as long as it doesn't damage the themes of the book, I don't mind if they make a romance with Jill and Eustace or not. Either way as long as they stick close to the book in the other particulars.

Oh I agree, it will be fabulous if Peter Dinklage comes back as Trumpkin! And I agree, he was wonderful in PC film. "I am a grownup," he mumbles when Susan tells the Pevensies to stop trying to act like grown-ups. That always cracks me up! He's wonderful, and I definitely want to see him again.

And I agree with this thought: as long as it doesn't damage the themes of the book, I don't mind if they make a romance with Jill and Eustace or not. Either way as long as they stick close to the book in the other particulars.

Sorry Inkspot but there was no romance in the books and far too many people try and make it so. Susan and Caspian did not exist and nor will Eutace and Pole, if they stick to the books and forget all this romance, it mite be a good film.

Yeah, shoehorning in a romance plot will only hurt the film, just like it hurt Prince Caspian. The ONLY Narnia film that could have a romantic subplot without just totally ignoring the source material is The Horse and His Boy since Shasta and Aravis DO end up getting married eventually. Even then, it would need to be kept very subtle as half the point is that they DON'T like each other at first. But you could easily show them having confused and conflicting feelings for each other while staying true to the source material.

Then again, probably the main reason Eustace and Jill aren't a couple in the books is because they're really young. They seem to be barely teenagers at the time of The Last Battle. So if they keep Will Poulter (as I hope they do), they'll be casting Jill in her late teens or early 20s, she'll almost certainly be fairly attractive, and they'll be playing the characters as 16 or 17 years old. At that point, anyone in the audience not familiar with the source material WILL be asking why on earth the two aren't a couple, and not at least addressing the issue could be seen as a glaring omission.

With Jill and Eustace playing 16 or 17 year olds in The Silver Chair and potentially 20 year olds in The Last Battle, it WILL have to be addressed at some point or else it will be a little silly. If I were the screenwriter (And hey, maybe by the time of "The Last Battle" I will be! ;) ), I'd handle it like this:

The Silver Chair is basically the beginning of Jill and Eustace's friendship, and especially early on there is quite a bit of friction in the friendship. So you really could get away with not showing any romantic feelings between the two in The Silver Chair, and instead focus on developing their friendship and showing the two develop a mutual appreciation and respect for another.

By the time of The Last Battle, though, several more years will have elapsed and the two will have been best friends for some time now. In that case, what I would do is weave in a small subplot about Eustace's interest in Jill. It could start with Eustace looking longingly at Jill while the friends of Narnia are having their meeting, only to be noticed by Peter and Edmund who snicker affectionately at him leaving him embarrassed. Small things like that - little glances and lines of dialogue - could keep reinforcing the subplot while they're in Narnia, and as the story progresses perhaps Eustace could eventually confide his feelings in Tirian.

Maybe Tirian could notice the way Eustace watches Jill as she trains in the distance with her bow while they're staying at Tirian's forest outpost and broach the topic. He could tell Eustace that Jill is a maiden worthy of pursuit, and that it would be a shame for Eustace to die in the battle that night without confessed his feelings to Jill. Later, as the Battle seems set to begin and things seem grim for our heroes, Eustace could reach out and take Jill's hand, and she will clearly be thankful for it.

And that would be about it. Enough to address the topic, but subtle enough to be respectful to the book. What do you guys think?

I like it -- kind of like Ron and Hermione finally admitting their feelings in the final HP book because they didn't know if they would have a "tomorrow" to share.

However your storyline is predicated on their being a TLB film, and I think the screenwriters might want to push the romance in this film as they may not have a tomorrow. I don't think any romance is necessary, but like you, I think an audience unfamiliar with the books may be wondering why there isn't one. A lot will depend on the age of the actors -- if they stick with Poulter, the question will be even more obvious as everyone expects teen romance.

I don't think it will hurt the story if they do it, as long as they keep the rest of the book's storyline intact.

I like David's idea for Eustace and Jill -- although I always thought of them as being no older than fourteen at an absolute maximum EVEN in "Last Battle."

Yeah, in the books they seem to be in their early teens in The Last Battle, but I'm hoping they're able to finish out the series AND keep Will Poulter, so some age-shifting is obviously going to have to happen. And to be honest, for a visual medium like film, I like the characters being older. It makes their adventures a little more believable. I like the idea of Eustace and Jill being in high school in The Silver Chair and college (or university, as I believe the British would say...) in The Last Battle. At the end of the day it won't really change much about the actual plot.

This one must be done right!

After the obnoxiously disappointing VDT, they really need to get SC right. The movie starts out with one of the most profound spiritual moments in all of the 7 books. If they get this right, it will be a crowning achievement. if they mess it up (which they probably will, or omit it entirely) the film will lose much of its punch, right then and there.

Otherwise, the rest of the book has a linear storyline and a solid plot. There is no reason whatsoever to have to add subplots, extra scenes, or (IMHO) romance. The setting of the story is not the time and place for a romance.

As far as who should play what, I will let you folks duke it out because I don't know diddily about actors. Whoever plays whatever role, just let them be the best folks they can find.

This is my favorte of the seven Chronicles, and Puddleglum is perhaps my favorite character (outside of Aslan!) in the books. Those of you that know me personally know I can be a lot like Puddleglum at times ;)

Last edited:
This one must be done right!

After the obnoxiously disappointing VDT, they really need to get SC right. The movie starts out with one of the most profound spiritual moments in all of the 7 books. If they get this right, it will be a crowning achievement. if they mess it up (which they probably will, or omit it entirely) the film will lose much of its punch, right then and there.

Otherwise, the rest of the book has a linear storyline and a solid plot. There is no reason whatsoever to have to add subplots, extra scenes, or (IMHO) romance. The setting of the story is not the time and place for a romance.

As far as who should play what, I will let you folks duke it out because I don't know diddily about actors. Whoever plays whatever role, just let them be the best folks they can find.

This is my favorte of the seven Chronicles, and Puddleglum is perhaps my favorite character (outside of Aslan!) in the books. Those of you that know me personally know I can be a lot like Puddleglum at times ;)

Last edited:
I also do not think a romance is appropriate for "Narnia 4" (or "Narnia 7," for that matter). I agree that Shasta/Cor and Aravis could show mild feelings sometime after crossing the desert in the event that the actors are a bit older than the ages of the characters in THAHB; although I find it unnecessary until the story's conclusion.

About TCON: TSC...what do we know at this point? I hate to be the bearer of bad news (please don't stop speculating on my behalf), but this is what I've concluded, thus far:

*We have no idea who the cast and crew are.
*We can't say for sure if the film will even be released in the 21st Century.
*The production company behind it is responsible for a collection of cold, grahpic, desensitizing forensic television dramas.

Insomuch, I'll stay within earshot of any further news. But if the Lady of the Green Kirtle were to blow dust in my face and tell me "A decent Silver Chair movie is only your imagination," I'd probably stare off into space and repeat the same words back to her.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in ages, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm really looking forward to The Silver Chair. :D I have my misgivings, but I can't help being excited that they are going to continue the series.

Back